Are Nightforce scopes made in Japan?

I,d love a nightforce, but they are more expensive than s+b,s in England, by some way. S+b, would sell a lot more scopes if they put a reticle in that didnt resemble a tree trunk. I also have an ior variable with illumination and the mp8 ladder reticle, it is absolutely superb, i cannot fault it.

Hi Baldie, how are you getting on with your .204?
Getting many foxes?
The last post you had, their was a truck full of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
Their must be easy shot them english foxes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif?

Dan Newberry- great posts!

The Nightforce is the scope that I am putting on my next gun.

Question- The 50 and 56mm obj. are the same price here in Canada. Which would you go with?

It is generally believed that a 7mm exit pupil is all the human eye can make use of. To get the exit pupil size you divide the objective lens diameter by the scope power setting. A fixed 6 x 42 power scope has a 7mm exit pupil, which is considered about perfect.

With a 50 mm objective, at 5X the exit pupil is of course 10mm, which is 3mm larger than is generally considered useful. Overkill, so to speak.

At 7 power, the exit pupil is going to be about 7mm on the 50mm, which as already mentioned is great. You would see no difference whatsoever between the brightness of the 50 and 56mm objectives on 7X.

At 8X and above the 50mm scope's exit pupil will begin to shrink, all the way down to 3.3mm at 15X.

The thing is, the 56mm objective really won't gain you a whole lot. You'll still have the "magic" 7mm exit pupil at 8 power, but after 8X it will begin to reduce until it ends up a 3.7mm at 15X (versus 3.3 for the 50mm).

For my part, I like the 50mm objective. It's less obtrusive, and gives up little if anything in light transmission.

The U.S. Navy Seals have chosen the 50mm objective also, so if it's good enough for them it should be plenty good for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan

I agree that the smaller is generally better, especially when you consider that only very good young eyes can get to 7mm. 5mm is a more realistic figure for the general public over 25. In low light conditions you almost never will be using the scope on high power anyway.

Jack

Dan
Great info and posts, I was told they moved to Idaho and forgot till you mentioned it. thanks

I really like my 5.5x22 NSX I can see the bullet splatter marks on a steel plate at 1000 yards, I do believe its the best scope on the market. Love that NPR-2 its so easy to use, puts mildots to shame!

You sure do see them on alot of F-Class BR guns, must be a reason for it.

Last edited:
Back