Rifle stock Painting 101

Prdtrgttr

I have been searching through the archives here and reading various posts about painting rifles. I came across one that really caught my eye. A fellow by the handle of "puncture wound" painted an SPS, with tan, and then web, Krylon paint. I really, really liked his finished product, but was curious if the paint could be made less shiny. Also, the directions he left were a little sketchy, does anyone have any how to directions for this paint job, and for this greenhorn? Thanking you in advance guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm not sure how much info you need to do the job, but generally speaking if you want to dull the appearance of a paint, you can take one of those 3m sanding sponges in a super fine grit that is well-used(nearly worn out) and gently buff it to a lower sheen. Of course it doesn't take much and if you are not careful you will go through the paint layer. There are other ways but that one is a quick and easy DIY solution.

Quote:
...painting rifles

I did this with paint right out of the hardware store. I tried the kit from Hunter’s Specialties that uses “temporary” paint and it was not fun to get off at all. The concept is good, though. Start with your light colors and end with your dark. You can use any plastic leaf or plant stem for your pattern. This one is permanent and a little chips off now and then but this is what it looks like after 4 years and it does get used.

If you’re not interested in permanent paint, just wrap your rifle in camo tape or cloth, it sure is a lot easier to get off!

Gave mine the krylon touch! After I spent three hours removing the HS "removable" kit I put on last year.
gun1001.jpg

Quote:
Prdtrgttr - does anyone have any how to directions for this paint job

I have a pdf file of the Hunters Specialties instructions.

Password HS
It's only good for 10 days
Click here.

One other thing, think about what you need to cover before you start hosing down your rifle. Obviously the scope glass, the muzzle… On my first one, I hosed the bolt too while it was in place. A little oil and that became a sludgy mess. Last time I hosed it without and I’d suggest that but be sure to cover everything in the action area before hosing. I used masking take that I formed into a cylinder with the sticky side out and slid down the action to keep the gunk out. You can make it stick anywhere you like with a long stick (coat hanger) to guide it into place.

Last edited:
Quote:
looked like the HS precision "desert" stock offered in the Remington VSF. Any ideas as to how I can paint my stock to look like that.

For crying out loud! Dmcgee and I have been trying to sell you art and you want what looks like a plastic, 70’s vintage, john boat!

To me, it looks like a tan colored epoxy stock with red to brown fibers running through it. The question is posed, how to imitate this… ? Let me sleep on it.

Prdtrgttr,

I think the desert tan version of the VSF stock is excellent and I looked and looked until I found and bought one myself.

I'm big into camo stuff and have several camo guns and stocks but will leave my VSF stock the way it came from the factory.

You could always put a few pieces of bow tape on it to break up the outline of it if you really wanted. Bow tape comes off very easy and WD-40 will easily disolve the glue residue that is left over. Plus the WD-40 won't hurt your stock or the factory paint on an HS stock.

$bob$

Hey guys, I finally just went ahead and painted my SPS, I cleaned it, sprayed a base coat of Krylon camo Khaki paint, and then cut out some stencils and painted with a Rust-oleum, multi coloured textured paint. I'm not sure that was the smartest, but it's kind of a test project. Here are the photos of the finished project.

204011.jpg

204.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ammo, I think I like your paint on your rifle better than my custom painted Harley.WOW WEE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

BILLGOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif John Boat??!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thats funny, coffee snotted out my nose!!HAHAHA!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
On a more serious note if you will go to AR15.com and go to the arms and tactics section there is an intire board dedicated to refinishing rifles with all kinds of finishes including john boat krylon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. You will find what you need there and the guys in the tech forums over there know what they are doing. Good luck!
BTW, all the pics of you guys's (grammar sucks)rifles look really nice. Good work!!
trashcan

john boat!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Hey guys, I know I'm being a little fussy, but I saw this great paint job on a rifle, and I'd love to try it on mine!

Darn it, I was just getting ready to tell you how you could do it and you went and painted your rifle.

Anyway, that webbing pattern is super easy and kindergarten children do it all the time at school. It's done by slinging the paint on with a paint brush rather than brushing it on. Just dip the brush in a little paint and throw it at the stock.. Just don't get too much paint on the brush, you don't want big blobs..

Tim

I've painted more than one with great results. Don't worry about having the correct plastic stencil, go grab what grows naturally near you.
I've laid down a light base coat and then came back with a handful of grass or a leaf held slightly above the surface to be painted and sprayed away with a darker color. Awesome results.
All of these stencils uprooted nearby, free of charge.

Practice on scrap. don't be shy.

Back