Savage Weather Warrior 16FSS

tshoff

I am selling my Savage 12FV in 22-250 and considering the Savage Weather Warrior 16FSS in 22-250. I have been unable to find many reviews on the Weather Warrior series. Does anyone have experience with them?

tshoff,

You won't go wrong w/a savage rifle period.
I've looked at the weather warrior and it would make a great all around varminter.
Get one you'll love it savages are absolutely one of the best shooting factory guns available.
The stainless/composite with an accu-trigger would be a weather warrior for sure.best of luck Mike

I have one in .204 Ruger. Accuracy from a rest is phenominal for a field rifle. The only problem I've experienced it that the composite stock seems to flex with even the small recoil when I shoot freehand. I have sent a letter explaining the perceived problem to Savage and got a reply that I am to call them.
It may be that I'm too used to wood stocks and I'm trying to shoulder it too tightly

Thanks for the replies. I have absolutely loved the Savage 12FV but it's just too heavy for how much hiking I do. I also have seen another reveiw complaining of the flex in the stock. The guy said it would mostly matter if the rifle were shot in a sling, but it's good to know it could happen when shouldered too. I shoot mostly from sticks so I'm hoping it'll be ok.
Also, it's good the hear Savage is willing to listen to customer feedback.

The flex is mostly in the forend. Normal glass bedding is confined to the action area, which wouldn't effect the forend strength. Many people have worked on the flex by epoxying in an alum. arrow shaft in the bottom of the forend to stiffen it. I've seen posts of people using a steel pushrod from a car engine as well. Be aware that the tuperware stock is hard to get the epoxies to stick to. Be sure to rough it up with coarse sand paper, drill a few small holes at angles to the barrel(to provid a mechanical lock), and wipe it down with a solvent to clean out the mold release agents used during it's manufacture. If you've got the cash a better solution would be a McMillen stock, but that is about the price you paid for the rifle! Bell and Carson stocks are an improvement at around $160-170.

I have had good success with the thin forearms by just mixing up some Brownell's Accraglas and pouring it into the forearm channel, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep. Let it cure good and you'll be all set.

Dan

Thanks for the tips. By the way, I find it odd that everyone mentions the forearm flex on the weather warrior series but not the 12FV. I have had one of those and notice that they have the same forearm flex problem. If savage would just clean that problem up they'd be set.

i have this gun and its a better shooter than even my tikka heavy barrel. the accuracy of this gun still amazes me!

Yep I have a 16FSS Weather Warrior that now lives its life as a TAC 2o. Has a Douglas 1 in 9 twist barrel. Nice gun haven't got enough time behind the trigger yet. But it's growing on me.

I've had one for about a year and love it after getting a wood stock for it from Savage. I normally shoot with a sling and found that the synthetic forearm was flexing when I put some pressure on the sling....

I have a couple of buddies that have CZs and Rugers and mine will always out perform theirs if I do my part..

I have two. One was a .22-250, which was a decent
shooter, but I had a hankering for a 6mm something,
and ended up re-barreliong with a E.R. Shaw Magnum contour,
stainless barrel chambered in 6mm Rem. I switch the stock
out, with a Bell&Carlson DuraMax stock. As a factory
.22-250 Rem, with the factory stock, I had a couple of
.3 MOA 3 shot groups, with somewhere between .5 MOA,
and .6 MOA, average. As a 6mm Rem. with the DuraMax stock,
it averages about.4 MOA.

My other 16 FSS is a .204 Ruger, and it is stock, other than
I adjusted that sorry Accu-trigger down to as light as
possible. I think I need a lighter spring, and maybe I will
warm up to this trigger. But except for my personal
problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif with the trigger, it shoots very well.
I shot one 3 shot group in the high 2's, and a number in the
3's. Just to make myself happy, I loaded some 5 shot
groups, and last weekend, even in the wind, I managed a
.4 MOA 5 shot group, with the worst one at .9 MOA, and
I was not reading the gusty wind, as I was pressed for
time. Some of the group size may have been caused
by a flaky electronic scale, that is going to be replaced
with one a few decimal places more accurate. I will say
that the synthetic stock on this rifle is a big improvement
over the synthetic stock on my previous 16 FSS, so maybe
Savage is listening.

By my experiences, the 16 FSS would make a fine accurate