solunar tables

dogcaller

I read an article in one of my magazines, about hunting when the animals were most active,according to the moon. I can find the solunar tables,but not the times when the animals are supposed to be most active. Can anyone help me out or tell how these times are figured according to the rising and setting of the moon and sun. Thanks dogcaller.

dogcaller,

There is a program called Fishbyte that plots all of this and gives you the times etc. All this is based on the coordinates of a specific location so it is accurate for that location. I have used it for deer hunting and there is a coorelation. Others have been doing reseach for years with the effect of the moon on deer and rutting activity and there is a definite coorelation there too. They have been used in fishing for years.

I have been filming/hunts for about 4-5 years now and found that one of the benifits is that I have a record of my hunts. My cameras record the time and date. I have put it all out on charts to help determine what if any factors contribute to more animal called in. I have tried to line it up with moon phases, major/minor times, and a few other factors. The only thing that I can see make a difference is moon phases, and that only had a monor effect. We call in a little more animals during the darker moon phases during the day hunts and night hunts. If you do any night hunting the darker moon also helps to keep you more concealed. I have seen all kinds of theories, but they just don't come out in my experience or data. The wind and other weather factors have a much greater influece than solunar tables or moon phases. For instance A day that has cool weather and a light wind is always better than a day with the right moon or the stars lined up. If I were planing a hunting trip far away I would try and plan it during the darkest nights and hope for favorable weather conditions. For deer hunting I have found different results, and it seems to show a slight peak in activity around major and minor time. But keep in mind other factors (food, sex, weather)have a much more dramatic influence on their behavior aswell.

Good Hunting

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dogcaller,

Looks like Byron has the detailed info your looking for. I have never kept records as he has for coyotes (must start though). There may be a difference in coyotes because they are a predator, just an idea. Deer are prey animals and this may be a reason for the difference. Could be interesting to find out actually.

Byron, Thanks for the valuable input, gets me thinking, always good to stimulate the mind.

Good point DOD. Deer or other prey species dont' have the hunt for food. Sure they have to go look for it, but they don't have to catch it. They just pick and eat. Predators especialy in the winter months are pretty much limited to meat. They are opputunistic and have to capitalize on every opportunity available. They don't much care for what the solunar tables say. They will respond at just about anytime. What you have to plan for is the weather conditions that put the odds in your favor.

Good Hunting

Byron

i like to hunt anytime but my favorite night to hunt is when the moon goes down 2 or 3 hours after sundown and the night does not get too dark.. with the moon up the dogs can cover more area and use their eyes.. they move faster and might be in hearing distance of the call.. with the night not so dark they will use more of their hearing and eyes and not have to get down wind.. try walking in the desert on a real dark night and you will have to use a light or go real slow.. try a night with the moon just below the horizon and you can walk with out any trouble.. some cut down wind but they are alot closer than on a dark night.. others come right in.. it works for me!! have a great 4th of july and be safe,,, grandpa fudge :eek: :rolleyes:

Back