Hunting the plains

desertrat

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Most of my hunting is in a rolling desert with lots of opportunity for breakup cover, juniper trees, large sage, that sort of thing. I've been invited to a ranch that's having problems with their calving. They'll easily have 100-200 head in a field, but the desert in that area is FLAT with no cover of any sort. How do you guys that hunt plains set up? Also do you prefer mouth or your electronic calls. I'm inclined to go at night but don't want to kill a cow 300 yards away that I might not see.

Thanks
Bob

[This message has been edited by desertrat (edited 03-22-2001).]

Well I've never hunted in the plains.But I have called coyotes in extremely open grassy country.What I've done is keep my bi-pod at it's shortest setting and lay on my belly when I am calling.You would be amazed at how well this works in open country.I wear the 6 color desert camo all the time and it blends very well with the dirt and grass.

Desertrat--One of the most critical things to remember in pancake flat country is to make sure your vehicle is completely out of sight. I have had both red fox and coyotes sit down and refuse to come to the call when they could see the parked vehicle a mile away. It doesn't take much to break up the outline of the vehicle, but I have found that I definitely need to do something. Also in these situations it is almost imperative to call/shoot from the prone so you don't look like a man sitting on the prairie, unless you have some brush or taller cover to help conceal your outline. Some of this shaggy-type camo may be a real help in these situations.

Even in the most flat country there is generally a place to approach without being too noticeable. Dry washes, slight rises, etc. Stay close to the cattle. The coyotes should be within 2 miles of the cattle. Wiley E

Back