Shotgunning question,,,,

coffee437

Ok so no one in my area carries (or can seem to get)Dead Coyote, What do I use instead? #4 3-1/2" Turkey? 00 Buckshot? Any suggestions?

Shooting 870 Express w/ extra full Turkey,,,I have several other chokes if something else is better.

Check your gun laws first,but alot of guys are useing #4 Buck or BB.And unless you like getting kicked 3" is probably as big as you need.Federal sells both loads above.You will need to pattern which ever one you get to see what choke to use.Straycat

I guess I am weird, or I have no feelings (my x would vote on that). I shoot 3 1/2" #4's here in TN (because of laws) and I can't remember a time that I have pulled the trigger and felt the recoil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I guess the adrinaline starts pumping in and my nerves go numb? I don’t even get a tender shoulder later... I will tell you that 3” shells will do the trick. I know... I had to use them before I got the Nova. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Check our hunting regulations out, but I think the #4 buck shot is not legal here in Oklahoma. It is too large of shot. As far as the BB lead, I have not been able to find those. Anybody have a source where we can get them locally or possibly mail order. I would appreciate some info.

Shmee

I've never noticed recoil when hunting, but when patterning with several different brands, shot sizes, loads and chokes the effect is acumulative. OTOH its vital to know what your gun will so before you shoot at live targets.IMO

Last edited:
If you would use the S-E-A-R-C-H feature you'll find lot's of INFO in the archives. Shotguns, loads, and chokes are a often repeated topic and there's a ton of info in the archives.

You know GC you're probably right, the "S-E-A-R-C-H" feature would probably help in this case,,but,,"INFO" changes as people learn things and the "archives" are a good source to find out things. There are dozens of new members on this board every week and with every new member comes new information thats not found in the archives.

If I ask a "repeated" question it's becouse I want a NEW (fresh) answer. If you're tired of seeing repeated threads then DON'T OPEN THEM. Otherwise I would like the newest most up-to-date field tested answers that are avaliable to me.

I'm with coffee 437 on this one...Every time someone new asks about shotgun load/choke combinations this INTERNET COP "GC" reprimands the poster with a smart a$$ answer about using the S-E-A-R-C-H feature and sometimes even rubs it in with a "duh..show you the error of your ways" gremlin like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this GC fellow is some kind of authority figure like a cop, game warden, or some other public servant trying to over inflate his importance with a whale size ego.

Rounds Out, Rawhide

Schmee, I got my DC across the line in Pittsburg KS.
Coffee, go to the walmart in your town and ask for Stoney. He could probably get you what you want in shot size.

Rawhide, I think what GC means is that since some of these topics have been asked several times, many probably won't respond with an answer. For this reason, you can do a search and find what answers have already been given then, if you still have questions you can be more specific.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm with coffee 437 on this one...Every time someone new asks about shotgun load/choke combinations this INTERNET COP "GC" reprimands the poster with a smart a$$ answer about using the S-E-A-R-C-H feature and sometimes even rubs it in with a "duh..show you the error of your ways" gremlin like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this GC fellow is some kind of authority figure like a cop, game warden, or some other public servant trying to over inflate his importance with a whale size ego.

Rounds Out, Rawhide

Im New and thats how I felt.....Dito

Alright, here are several reasons I suggest a search.

*First, there IS a lot of solid basic info in the archives from reliable sources. Good basic stuff that really doesn't change, and, some people may not know it. PLUS, any recent innovation that has been discussed will still be revealed through a good search. Fact is, it'll be first on the list of material to review.

*Second, Some folks new to the internet may not know there is a SEARCH feature on the site so they miss out on a lot of this archive info.

*Third, There is a lot of MISinformation and plain old [beeep] scattered around on the internet as true fact. When someone claims 120+ yard kills, it's hard to let that slide. A new hunter who tries that is off on the wrong foot thinking he can blast away at unrealistic ranges for a shotgun with any choke and load combo. That'll be dissapointing for him and potentially wound and educate animals. Not good any way you look at it.

My point here is that you need as broad a base of information as you can get. Getting all the info allows one to sift out the smelly stuff and rely on the more reliable members who have taken the time, money, beating at the range, and have the actual in the field experience to prove or disprove theories and know beyond a shadow of a doubt they are giving, and, you are recieving solid information.

*Fourth, because this type of question HAS been asked literally a hundred times, sometimes these more experienced, proven hunters have already answered this so much they won't respond again. That leaves the new guy who doesn't take the time and effort, or doesn't know about the search, to wallow through some real "shakey" info thrown out as fact.

*Fifth, and as I get more tired of this... There are no magic answers. You can't simply ask, "What's the best load for my shotgun?" Nobody can give you a an absolute "recipe for success." The formula remains the same - YOU HAVE TO DO THE WORK ON YOUR OWN! Do the research, get some solid basic info of choke diameter, loads that work, then take your prissy little [beeep] out to the range and shoot your damn gun and find out for yourself! Quit whining and take the time, money, effort, and pounding on the range to find out what shoots best and works best from your gun. Otherwise you're lazy, and lazy doesn't cut it as an excuse to not put out some effort to research this on your own. Then, go to the field and prove you know what you're doing by calling and killing some game!

*Sixth, because I am real tired of this now... For RAWHIDE, you don't know me, yet want to sling personal insults? You, who hasn't contributed one positive thing to this forum. You, with the blank profile who comes online with your one and only post just to throw a shot at someone. Well Nancy..., YOU KISS MY [beeep]!

*Six.five, WallWhatEver, quit being a leghumper and if you've got something to say, stand up on your two hind legs say it in your own original words. Especially since you can't spell "ditto."

If those reasons for suggesting the search don't make some sort of sense, and, I have offended some of the rest of the posters delicate sensibilities, I'll quit suggesting it. Fact is, screw it, I will quit suggesting it. It's not worth the internet drama. To be honest, yes I may have come off heavy handed when recommending the S-E-A-R-C-H so often. I can see that, however, lazy people and internet commando's irk me and I guess I let that show. Rounds out, from the SEARCH NAZI! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey new guys welcome to the board. I've been following this thread and can tell you there is recent information on chokes, shells, opinions, and BS that are worth the search. GC is a big contributor to those discussions along with many of the other members. Really you should try a search that will cover the last two months. Great information to be found and along the lines of questions you have.

Coffee try checking the mailorder catalogs for hevishot or large plated lead.

GC! Nazi? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I didn't know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GC, I know these new guys and even the old veterans come around and tend to ask for the same sorts of information, but who are we to say that they shouldn't ask the question. Yes he could have researched and found some information, maybe he was being lazy, maybe he did it just to make you mad. Regardlees he has the right to ask the question.

In this very thread there is a prime example why asking is good. The example is the response posted by CrossJ. He just so happened to know a guy who could get Coffee what he needed for ammo. Sorry but in this case that would have never happened if the question wasn't presented or if he just did an archive search. I am sure a person could search the archive and find an answer or thread on just about ever topic imaginable, thus we would never need the forum, just the archives.

I do agree that the SEARCH function is important to know about, but I think too often people come off as being harsh and intollerant when they post about it. It really puts a roadblock up when some newbie comes in with burning question and his response is "search around". Too often it totally feels and sounds like a "your an idiot response". I have seen this happening lately and more than just 1 new member has felt this way. Infact there are 3 on this very thread stating that. I have had it happen to me. I just wanted a gernal direction and got a look for yourself answer. I could look for myself and never be a contributing member.

I gues in the end, we need to welcome the newbies and help as much as possible, we were all there once. If you truely wanted to help you could have pulled a thread on the topic and listed it as a link. Also if you don't want to reply or are fed up with this sort of thing just ignore it, the question will eventually be answered.

Rawhide,

Sorry, but who are you to say what GC is or is not. You are new here, you do not know GC you do not know who he is what he stands for or how much he actually contributes around. I am sorry that your feelings were hurt when he suggested a search option. Grow up be a man and live with it. I could assume that you are a punk who is cowardly and has a selfesteem issue that manifest itself in the form of non-compliance with authority. Would that be a fair judgement to make about you from only a few post???? No, therefore it is not going to happen. Before you go off the deep end again figure out why someone is doing it. you are new here and rally should try and get to know hte person and their intentions befroe you assume what they are about. We all know what assume stands for.

New Guys in General,

Keep the questions coming. Besure to search around and ask questions that you did not get answered. Good luck

Well this would be the point in time most first time posters would cower down to the seasoned members banding together and trying to tell others what opinions/comments are acceptable to post about what opinions/comments they themselves make...I don't think so!

GC was being heavy handed and insulting with new posters, and that's the truth...It's not about whether you have contributed to this board, or you have 1 post or 10,000...It's about calling them like you see them, come hell or high water.

GC, I did take a shot at you, and if your comment for me to kiss your a$$ is any indication, then my aim was true...My original post still stands as testament to what I believe.

Rounds Out, Rawhide

Well that was helpful. As far as my shotgun OPINION, I have not had a problem with my factory Rem. extra full choke and a 3" shell full of 2 shot(still locally available). Disclaimer: I use my shotgun when I know that the only clean shot I am willing to take is going to be inside of 30 yards.

New guys welcome.

This is a great board if you have some common sense. Try not to let your emotions over ride your ability to think about what really matters.

I don't post much, just read a lot as I'm still learning. There are guys on here that have predator hunted for decades. There answers and advice are greatly appriciated and GC posts on here more than several of the moderators. He doesn't seem to post anything that is not well thought out and good information.

People who come in here and want to talk smack are running off the veterans or making them feel like it is not worth posting.

I wish the eject / banned from the site button wash pushed a little more often.

Chill out until you know who you are talking to PERIOD.

challenger makes a 3" load of 1 7/8oz of BB's. guess it would do the trick?

i stick to 3 1/2" #4 buck though. kicks like a mule but im gettina new stock so evem my gf can should these bad boys.

Back