airgun for coons

IN SONG DOG,

A PCP gun is a pre-charged pneumatic ,they are pumped up w/a powerful pump or a scuba tank and will shoot many times at very high velocity.
The whole set-up cost as much as a fine rifle ,maybe a thousand dollars.
A gun like i mentioned known as a springer = magnum spring air pellet rifle has a large lever to pump it.Inside it has a long strong spring w/a piston on the end to push the air out in a cylinder.It is amazing at the power they make out of one long stroke of the lever.
Springers are very quiet because of the length of time it takes for the spring to push the air.
Pump up guns build up pressure and release it in a split second and make a loud crack.
My gun with the heavy pellets would definately kill a raccoon,it might take a couple of quick shots but he'd come out of there.
My grandpaw and uncle are hardcore coon hunters and yes i have shot many coons out to their dogs.It trained the dogs and i got to carry the coon out that i shot.< Lots of fleas !!
Best of luck,ME

ps me and a friend shot 1 crow , 16 pidgeons ,3 starling 2 sparrows this morning.several pidgeons at 50-60yds that came down like a sand bag and several crash and burns.we're going to start filming feral bird safari!

Last edited:
Mike Eversole
I bought my 6 shot .22 Career 707 used for $300.00 I also have a 6 shot Career 707 in 9mm that I got new for $450.00
you can find them from $250.00 (used) to $450.00 new from PyramidAir.com

the .22 will fire a 29 gr pellet at 1100 FPS, and the 9mm will fire a 85gr pellet out at 880 FPS. I get about 10 shots from the 9mm before needing to refil the air.

I bought a used steel tank from the local dive shop for $90.00 get it filled for free at the local fire department.
new carbon fiber tanks will cost you about $300.00, but they weigh around 15 pounds vs. around 30 pounds for my steel one.

the gauge and hose to connect the gun to the tank was around $100.00 at pyramid air.

Last edited:
daveinmaine,

Thanks for the info a friend told me you'd have about a grand in one ,i guess w/a scope and all new stuff you'll be knocking on the back door of $1000.
I bet people are amazed when you tell them yuup killed me coyote with a pellet gun!!ME

I agree with you guys hunting with airguns. I have many but my favorite is my Summatra which is a .22 caliber PCP that shoots a 30 grain pellet at around 1250 fps. I have taken many squriels, woodchucks, coons; and not to start controversy, but a coyote as well. I know the guns limitations and the shot was perfect, right between the eyes. Bang flop at 25 yards. If it was 30 yards or more, I would have pased just to be safe. These guns are extremely powerful and accurate and a coon is not a problem, keep the shot within the head and it will be down!
Good Huntin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I would like to use an air pistol for hunting stray cats in my residential area. What would be the minimum fps to kill an animal? and who makes a high fps powerful pistol?

To those here who think i should "keep my ethics to myself", I wish to respond.

I thought the internet was a free and open forum, not owned by anyone and available to all.
Free exchange of ideas, even if we agree or disagree.

Did you not see the IMHO at the start of my post?
Look Again.
It means IN MY HONEST OPINION.
Opinion. Not stated as fact nor an absolute truth.
Just how I see the world, based on my unique perspective.
Its probably different from yours.

Folks like Ho Chi Minh , Stalin , Hitler and Saddam discouraged the free exchange of ideas in their societies.
And all would agree thats not what any of us want here.
So as far as keeping my ethics, which in fact the writer probably meant as my ideas and opinions, to myself, I wont.
Its Un-American.
If you think its Ok to shoot deer with a 223, great.
If its legal, then there isnt a whole lot I can do about it. But my right to say that I dont think its such a great idea is still preserved.

Ohio_Hunter

Quote:
daveinmaine,

Thanks for the info a friend told me you'd have about a grand in one ,i guess w/a scope and all new stuff you'll be knocking on the back door of $1000.
I bet people are amazed when you tell them yuup killed me coyote with a pellet gun!!ME

they can be pretty damn expensive, expecially for the 1st one, where you have to buy all the "other" equipment. I look at it the same as buying all the reloading equipment for a firearm. Airguns have some advantages also, they tend to be quieter then a firearm, they don't travel as far if you miss, so you can safely shoot in places where you wouldn't use a rifle, and didn't want to use a shotgun. Also the BATF recently ruled that a permently attached silencer on an airgun is legal as long as it cannot be removed short of cutting it off the barrel, and there are quite a few "shrouded barrels" that come from the manufacturer, and these guns are whisper quiet.

And most of all, they can be as challenging as hunting with a muzzleloader or any other single shot firearm, where you know you have to make the 1st shot count.

Air guns for coons- With the right airgun AND GOOD shot placement it can definitely be done. To those who say its
unethical I would suggest you check out some of the PCPs available. incredibly accurate and powerful within there range. As a side note to Varmit Slayer you mentioned 1000 fps - have you actually run it over a crony, there are a lot of manufacturers who are very " creative " with the
velocities they claim.Also accuracy and shot placement is the name of game when huntng and especially so with airguns

A quick comment to daveInME. While the BATF may have ruled that a permanently attached silencer is legal on an airgun
I would stongly suugest to see if your state's game laws
have the same opinion on the use of any silencer when hunting

I agree with Jim WNY.
The BATF ruling was based on Federal law defining "firearms".
Some states consider airguns as firearms and a silencer attached or not might be illegal in those states.

I don't claim to know squat about airguns but a quick google uncovered what appears to be an invaluable resource for someone contemplating hunting with an airgun.

Article on Airgun Hunting

There are more links for other info on the site at the bottom of the page.

$bob$

Ive got a game hunter 220 ant 1000 fps, and if you have this kind/ type. Dont try to kill coon. I have tried shooting trapped coon with it. it doesnt work. took 2 head shot at point blank. and he still squirmed and growled for 5 minutes.

A Gamo Hunter 220 rated at 1000 fps from the factory is done by shooting a thin shell super light pellet maybe 4 or 5 grains at most. When shooting Lights(7.9gr) which is recommended for springers your are probably getting between 8-850 fps and 12 lbs of energy. With Heavies(10.5gr) at 700 fps maybe 11 lbs. A .20 cal PCP shooting a 14.5gr pellet at 1000 fps will have about 32 lbs. A .20 with 26 gr pellet @ 1000 fps will get about 57 lbs energy, almost five times the .177 springer.

jim_wny
your correct at least in Maine,
Maine classifies an airgun as a firearm for hunting so an airgun is illegal in Maine as long as you adhere to the caliber / power requirements. but no hunting with a suppresed airgun.

Of course it's still fun for back yard plinking and with pest removal.

my .22 career 707 shooting 29gr hollow point pellets will average 1100+ FPS for a ME of 75 FPE, enough for anything up to a coon size animal at 100' which is what I basically limit myself to.

Back