Washington State Foxes

triple_deuce

Does Washington state have any foxes? Has anyone ever seen a fox in Washington? If so where? I have never seen any here. Just wandering.

From what I hear foxes haven't been seen in my area since the early seventys, about the time the coyote population exploded.

P.s. I lived my first 11 years in Okanogan, but have not been there in a few years.

I saw one in south west washington about 4 years ago. and there is a lady at work that says that she sees on2 at least 2 times a week on the way to work.

I may have seen one when I was about 6 years old, but it may have been a coyote pup. Tried to steal my salmon eggs from me while I was fishing! Dashed out of the brush and dashed back. I was too busy peeing my pants in terror to determine which it was! My father in law says he's seen them regularly over the years in a certain farm neighborhood on his 20 mile commute to work. North Olympic Peninsula WA.

Yes they are around but I aint tellin where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I trapped a few reds and a silver when trapping was open. I have been surprised at how few hunters have ever seen one here. I did see one about three months ago behind a strip mall in North Bend.

Thtey say there is quite a few in Clarkston. I don't hunt that side of the Snake so it's just hearsay.
If it's true, and I think it is, you might try along the River.
Good Luck, Charlie

Not sure what there is now but there used to be foxes in parts of WA so I assume there still are some. I saw a pair of foxes play in a field for about ten minutes, within 25 yards of me at times, on the Olympic Penninsula nearly 20 years ago. One was a classic red fox and the other a silver, all black except that I think it had a white tip on the tail. A fox farm went out of business close to 30 years ago and local word is that they released some silver foxes, hence the black ones in that area.

There used to be red foxes also in callable numbers in Whatcom Co. in the 60's but those also are apparently all but gone if not extinct in the area. A pretty knowlegeable guy told me that the increase of coyotes in both areas is what has eliminated the foxes. He said that coyotes kill the foxes. I've no idea about E. WA but have seen red and cross fox in south central B.C.

Back