AR-15 Barrel Length?

Candidus

I am ready to make the move. Maybe I have been watching too much Byron South or maybe I just need a break from my 26" VSSF, but I am ready to go AR. What is a good barrel length for an AR-15 used for predator hunting? It has been posted that the 16" is too loud. Also, how much velocity/range am I giving up if I go with a 16" instead of a 20" or 24" barrel? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I have a Bushmaster 16" modular. I Love the gun. I can hold my own with the longer barrels but it all comes with practice.

Most my shots are under 100 yds anyway. I like letting them get "In your face" close and its hard to beat the fast handling of the AR. If you do more spot and stalk or open range gunning then a longer barrel might be for you. I got the gun to fill a void between my bolt action and my shotgun. It has filled it perfectly. Fast, accurate, easliy handled, good follow ups, fast out of the case and easy to deploy. I would give up my other guns before this one.

You do tend to get some wierd looks though.

Tim

In my honest opinion, if you plan on doing any amount of walking with it (i.e. more than half a mile) don't get a barrel longer than 20".

I've been thinking about building up another 20" just for hunting. I have 2 16" ARs and 2 20" ARs and they're both loud. I've never fired them back to back to figure out which is louder, but I only hunt with my 16" carbines.

They're light and handy.

WIZZO

I just got this one in a 20 inch. If you're going to carry it for any distance the 20 inch and under rule should apply.
var2.jpg

Quote:
I only hunt with my 16" carbines.

WIZZO: Why do you grab your 16" opposed to the 20" for hunting? And why are you now building/going with a 20" for hunting?

Candidus,

Half the fun is using a gun you like - if it has enough accuracy to do the task at hand. It depends on what type of hunting you are doing and at what range. Consider the level of accuracy you need, and then choose.

I have a Bushamster 16", collapsable stock that I dearly love. I realize that a target model will shoot more accurately, and I always have the option of purchasing an upper that will give me that accuracy - if I have a need for it. I can also replace the collapsable stock with a fixed one if I wish. That's the good thing about an AR - there are so many options available.

The scope is a Simmons Atec 2.8 X 10 with illuminated reticle. I like the scope. It seems to hold zero quite well and it has a 5" eye relief - something I really like. this particular scope was reasonably priced (a little over $100)for what it offers.

My particular gun is more of an assault rifle, yet I use it for hunting with great success. Considering that all game I have harvested with it (two bobcats and a turkey) have been less than 50 yards, it serves my purpose quite well. My gun will shoot acceptable groups at 100 yards and great ones at 50. For calling here in the mountains where I live, most shots will be 50 yards or less. I like the quick pointing of the 16". So, the gun suites ME well.

Decide on what you need and purchase accordingly.

Either way you look at it, an AR is a fine gun and I don't think you will be disappointed with owning one.

Good hunting.

Bushmaster.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
I only hunt with my 16" carbines.

WIZZO: Why do you grab your 16" opposed to the 20" for hunting? And why are you now building/going with a 20" for hunting?

I only have optics on my 16" carbines.
RRAMid-lengthA.jpg

DCP_1051b.jpg

My 20" rifles are irons only (detachable carry handle one flattop and an A2 upper on the other one) and I do enough low-light hunting to make iron sights useless. That, and I have a 20" Bushmaster barrel laying around that I can use. I figure I can get an entire rifle together for less than $450 (before an optic of some sort) that will shoot less than 1MOA.

Personally, I like 20" barrels, but I haven't gotten around to getting one set-up the way I want it for hunting yet.

WIZZO

EDIT: I agree with above, too. The 16" feels pretty good and swings really well. In the trees, the decreased length is an added bonus.

6mm06: Would you mind specifying "acceptable" and "great" groups? Accuracy is a concern in making my decision, if it is negligible at 100 yards I am leaning toward a 16" barrel.

Quote:
My gun will shoot acceptable groups at 100 yards and great ones at 50.

Candidus,

With a variety of handloads, my gun will generally shoot 1 1/4" to less than 2" groups at 100 yards. Some bullets naturally group better. I have shot everything from 40 grain V-Max to 65 grain Sierra Spitzers, and all will group within the figures above. At 50 yards, I can shoot around 1/2", 5/8" etc. I have shot better, but that is a good account of what to expect. Great for this type of gun may not be "great" for others. For example, my Remington Sendero 6mm-06 will group 3 shots under 1/2" at 100 yards most all day long when I do my part and my best group has been 3/16". When I mentioned great pertaining to the Bushmaster, I mean great for the gun that it is. My gun has a regular contoured barrel. It is not a varmint barrel. As you can see in the picture (taken today while trying to call in a coyote), the area I hunt is pretty thick and also mountaneous, so precision accuracy is not needed.

I realize the varmint barreled guns (good ones) will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards. If most of my hunting was done at longer ranges, then I'd definitely want more accuracy. But as I mentioned before, all of my shots thus far have been under 50 yards, so the 16" suites me ok. I have been thinking about purchasing an upper sometime later that will have greater accuracy potential.

I love the AR. It's a fun gun to own and shoot.

Hope this helps.

SnowCamo.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished building my 16" "Coyote Killer" fired it today out hunting, and I have to say for a fact, the 16" barrel is LOUDER ! My left eardrum actually hurt at the report, fired once more just to make sure, couldn't hear out of that side for the better part of an hour ! Won't be shooting it again without hearing protection !

Candidus,
From my experience with AR's I'd go with the 16" just because of the weight factor. My 16" weighs considerable less than my brother's 20". I personaly don't think the 16" is any louder than the 20", they are both LOUD. I can definatly see the advantage of the longer barrel for shooting long distances but for the hunting I do most shots are less than 100 yards.

I guess I'm the oddball. My AR has a 24" barrel and I carry it for miles and miles. It's all a matter of what you get used to. Most of my shooting is done prone off of a bipod or shooting sticks in wide open country. Would probably go for a shorter barrel (20 inch) in thicker cover.

I think it's just a matter of what someone likes and what their needs are. For me,it's just a pleasure to hunt with different guns. In Wyoming one year, I lugged around a Remington Sendero 7mm STW. Took a mule deer with it at 173 yards. It was heavy, but I didn't mind. As to the loudness of the shorter barrels, I really don't know. I shoot from a bench most of the time and wear hearing protectors, and, the shots on game I didn't notice the loudness at all - only one shot for each and I was too wrapped up in the event to notice.

To me, hunting with an AR is a pleasure in and of itself, regardless of barrels and weight.

We all come in different shapes & sizes & some people are
physically active & some are sedentary. Therefore, I don't
think anyone can tell you what the right weight for you is.

If I had to guess a happy medium for performance/weight, I
would GUESS 20". That's the length RRA Varmiter I ordered,
but somehow either the Dealer or RRA made a mistake & a 24"
came in. I reluctantly took it & now due to the barrel
forward balance, somewhat more velocity & extreme accuracy/
ability to hold in rapid fire I would not trade.

The gun is heavy, but I am 6'1/2" & 270# with a farm backgroud & Athletic/Weight Lifting background, so at 52 years old, it is still a non-issue. Like I said, weight is
a relative thing. I would suggest that you go to a big
Dealer that stocks different versions & see what feels
right to YOU & not some gun writer.

Candidus, I dug out some targets I shot with my 16" Bushmaster and I will attach them for you to see. These groups represent some of the best groups. 2" groups have been the worst I have shot at 100 yards and most groups will average 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The thing that surprised me very much was the accuracy of American Eagle factor 55 gr. FMJ. These rounds are relatively inexpensive and are accurate. Of course, I wouldn't use them personally for hunting bobcats, coyotes, fox etc.

The target is roughly 1" square.

Target1.jpg

Target2.jpg

This load went 1 5/8" for the group, one flyer otherwise would have been 1".

Target3.jpg

Target4.jpg

Last edited:
Back