110 gr. V-Max in .270 Win??

Stoked_C

I would be interested in what some good loads would be for the 110 gr V-Max out of a 22 inch .270 Winchester. This combinatin if pushed at a relatively high velocity actually is a very flat shooting round, even in comparison with 140 gr bullets of higher BCs, velocity wins out. Some manuals are showing ~3400 fps so I wasn't sure if this is attainable. I don't reload yet, but do a lot of research when I can, and this combo will probably push me over the edge considering it is real flat shooting and I can get 100 bullets for 17 bucks.

I'm thinking they'd be great for doing a lot of shooting with, and I actually don't see why they wouldn't work for neck shots on our smallish hill country deer....plus varmints/coyotes.

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

-Conrad

I would be more inclined to use the sierra 110 grain bullets on deer over the v-max for initial penetration purposes. Just my thoughts...v-max may be the ticket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I figured on neck shots it doesn't matter a whole lot, especially on the smaller hill country deer. Mostly lookin at conjuring such round for doing a lot of plinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Hi i loaded some for a counis for his Savage 270 with Varget powder and he used them on the deer here in Arkansas and he like them. He like them alot. VM

I agree with tcman, the Sierra is a MUCH better choice deer size game. However the V-MAX is an excellent vermin bullet. I used it on the South Pease River Ranch in Texas last fall to reduce the PD population quite a bit. On one particular afternoon with high gusting wind we were still able to connect at 600 yds. My rifle is a Savage 110LH with a heavy 27" Shaw bull tube. My load is 47.5 grs of Varget, Federal 30-06 Match brass necked down and neck turned just enough to uniform, Fed. 205 Match primers. My chrony shows an average of 3405fps and this rifle gives 5 shot groups of .6 inches all day long.

Back