new NY state record-Coyote 115 lbs

kec

BIG COYOTE New York State Record

WOW! How many deer do you figure this guy took down?

N.Y.S. D.E.C. game commission officer Robert Doe confirmed that this was indeed a new New York state record coyote. Its official weight was 115 pounds, it is a very large male and was shot this (2005) regular deer season just out side the town of Hilton. It has been spotted on several different occasions chasing deer & livestock, dogs, and cats.

I received this e-mail today with a pic, but can't get pic on. He's laying next to a buck that was shot.

If someone gives me an e-mail address, i will forward if you know how to post pic.

Like I said - received in e-mail - I don't hAVE ANY CONFIRMATION OF TRUTH

KEC

AH GOOD.....Didn't think it was true at 115 lbs, but I had no way to confirm the source. Like I said it was just an e-mail i received today. Thought you guys might know a lil more about it

thx

KEC

Many years ago when I leved back in NJ, we hunted NY (Catskill Region) A LOT. My folks had 100-acres there. We would be there every season since 1967. The dogs did become a problem. If we were bow hunting and you would hear dogs rinning deer (not a lot unlike a beagle's tone changes when he gets on a hot rabit trail), we would head back to the house to get a gun.

One year, the fish and game published a notice in the local paper, letting all dog owners know that they would be doing some predator/dog control. Anyone that loved and adored their pets should keep them on a rope for at least a week. During that week, NYSFG got six dogs. I myself (since '67) took out 7 of the beggars. I've seen pack of 1-3 traveling around the farm. In the spring, I've found freshly killed fawns, still warm. In retrospect, I should have stepped back about 100-yards and waited.

One problem is, there are a lot of 'summer' homes up there. I imagine that there are other parts of the country which are the same. Anyway, folks come up from New York City, Long Island, etc. and get a puppy for their kids (for the summer). Then at the end of the summer, with all intentions being in the right place (these folks are non-hunters), they release the dogs into the woods, since they do realize that then cannot care for an animal properly in an apartment or condo in the city. The animals need to eat and the food supplies available to them are rebbit, turkey and deer.

Usually, during a real bad winter, when the snow is deep, a deer will break through the icy crust on top of a foot, or two, or three of snow. Dogs, with their larger paws and lighter weight are able to stay on top of the crust and run deer into the ground.

Any dogs shot, were not wearing collars, and I do apologize for speaking ill of any pygmies in Australia.........

Back