Ruger #1 in 300 WSM

Wolfen

I have a Ruger #1 action and want to set it up for some heavy shooting.
I'm seeing some threads that suggest it won't hold up to a 300 WSM.
Anyone out there have some experience with either the Ruger #1 action and or the 300 WSM?

Also, as a reloader, I plan on exploring the apparent wide range of possibilities of this cartridge with low weight bullets as well.

I can't imagine that the action won't stand for a 300WSM. The Ruger #1 Tropicals are available in stuff like 375 H&H, 416 Rigby etc and the #1 Standard is available in 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 300 Wby mag etc. I wouldn't think a 300WSM would pose any problems.

The case head diameter of the 300WSM is .535, whereas the 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag etc have a case head of .532, which is .003 smaller than the WSM. The 416 Rigby however has a diameter of .590, which is considerably larger than the WSM.

The falling block action is very strong and, although I'm no expert, I just can't see a problem here. Somebody may correct me though.

Thanks bacova and Mauser for the comments.

I am of the same opinion as you. However, some others think it not advisable and even Ruger doesn't seem to like the set up. Has something to do with body taper and subsequent undesirable bolt thrust characteristics. FYI - See article on E. Arthur Brown Company, Inc. web at http://www.eabco.com/WSM01.htm

I don't know if I buy into this or not. However, the destruction of an excellent Ruger #1 action is a little steep for being wrong.

I have not been able to get much more detail on the issue beyond the one at Arthur Brown Co. I hope my concerns will bring attention to this issue with the WSM's.

I guess anything's possible Wolfen. In looking through the Ruger catalog I see there are no #1s offered in any of the WSM cartridges. As popular as the WSMs are there must be a reason Ruger hasn't offered any.

On the subject of #1s, I'm expecting the arrival of my newest in about a week. I traded a Win-70 Coyote Lite 25 WSSM for a #1-B in .270 Wby Mag. Should have some fun working up a load for that.

A 270 Wby is a good cal. but is picky on what it likes to shoot well,, get a load it likes you will have a good gun.

Bacova -

You are going to love that set up. Absolute dependability.

I also have a #3 with a Ruger .270 Rem. with open iron sights and Alex Henry Forearm. Long story how I got there since Ruger never chambered the #3 in .270. Suffice it to say that I took the barrel off of my #1 and fit it to my #3 which was originally chambered in 22 Hornet.

I intended to make a custom out of the #1, which I'm finally doing with the 300 WSM. I'm going to stock it with a Laminated stock from Wenig Custom Gun stocks in Lincoln, MO. I knew and dealt with their President, Fred Wenig, years ago when he was with Reinhart Fajen. He developed my mannlicher, center grip and thumbhole stocks I used on the Unlimited Silhouette Pistols I made back then. Thanks to Fred's choice of woods, all the pistols made weight. Kinda figured who better to make the wood for my #1.

Sure hope it works. My barrel is a 1:10, cut, three land from my old friend, the GREEK, in Oklahoma. Don't know how heavy it will let me go.

You may want to take a look at the Hicks Accurizer for Ruger #1, #3 at - http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html

Can't tell you anything about it. Just saw it one night while browsing around the WEB.

Good Luck..

Wolfen,
I checked out that link and saved it for further consideration, thanks.

I also noticed they offered the Kepplinger single set trigger. I have a #1V stainless 204 with a Kepplinger installed. I'll give that addition a "thumbs up", it's really made a difference for me when shooting in excess of 300 yds at Groundhogs.

Back