Cutting barrel on 22-250?

Coalminer7

Have a Remington 22-250 BDL with a 24" barrel. Like the gun, but the barrel at 24" is ackward in the woods. Most shots are 250 yds or much less. Thinking of trimming the barrel to 20". I know I will lose bullet speed, but that is not a factor. Anybody ever do this or have and thoughts good or bad?

Last edited:
The coyotes will never know what length barrel you are using on your 22-220 . 100 fps looks good on paper but in the field you will never be able to tell the difference so use whatever length you are happy with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would think it would be more in line of 200 fps loss but it will not hurt your rifle. It is just a shame to waste the benefit of the 22-250 just to fire rounds as fast as a .223.

Howdy coalminer7, I recently cut the barrel of my Sav. mod 12 22/250 from 26 to 22 inches. I was told the same thing by friends and co-workers. "Why loose the speed". My reply was, I can make the gun enjoyable to carry and shoot, or park it in the cabinate and never use it. I am very pleased with the outcome of the project. It is the last post on page 8 at the moment, so it may be on page 9 before you get to look at it. There is a target posted with the pic of the rifle also. Point of impact changed for obvious reasons, but group size was not harmed on this particular rifle. Be advised you will change the harmonics of your particular barrel. I have heard reports of guns loosing accuracy after being cut down. I personaly have had good luck with this one. I plan to chronograph it soon to get real world stats on the effect of the crop job it got. I can't wait to see where it lands for velocity. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I capped and crowned my Rem 700 BDL 22-250 to 20 inches and lost quite a bit of accuracy. I ended up selling the rifle and upgrading to a Rem VS-SF. I am leaving this one long and heavy. Just think of how nice my arms will look after a few hunts - who needs a gym memebership? I got a VSSF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Coalminer7,

I'll second what Steve says about making your varminter shoot like a 223.
IMO the value will take a nose dive ,although that might not matter to you.

On velocity question i have did some reading ,remington had some good info. but i don't see it on their site anymore.
Example -if you were to break velocities down in 100fps increments the higher the velocity you shoot the more fps you'll lose per inch of barrel.
If you are shooting a 40gr bullet at 4000fps you'll lose the 50ish fps /per inch.
With a 55-60 gr bullet you'll lose 20-30ish fps ,these are only examples of coarse relayed to you from my reading.
Just me thinking out loud ,i don't see how the chop would help to any great extent.
You have a ledgendary varminter known for high velocity and extreme performance.The 22-250 is somewhat overbore and belching more powder out the short barrel is going the wrong direction imo.
I have a little CZ 221 fireball as my handy little calling rifle and just love it so i know what your saying wanting a nice -swinger-.
My 22-250 should be ready within a couple of weeks -being rebarreled to a 26" #4 contour ,it's my open country coyote pounder.
Best of luck .Mike

Quote:

The 22-250 is somewhat overbore and belching more powder out the short barrel is going the wrong direction imo.

Which, it seems, might give you significant muzzle flash. IMHO, keep the 22-250 for the long pokes, and get a nice .223 walkin' rifle. Or, trade for one. The cutdown project just seems like a risk. You could end up with a rifle you're not happy with and not worth much to boot.

Just my 2c.

Even after realizing velocity loss from cutting the barrel, a 22-250 from a 20" barrel still has longer legs than a 223 from a 20" barrel. So you have the handiness of a 20" barrel and more velocity than a 223.

You may want to look into faster burning powders if you aren't already there. It could help to minimize some velocity loss.

I would not personally cut the barrel down. I would be afraid the resale value would go south on you, noise would be up to you and it may or may not shoot well with that short of a barrel, which could render it useless.

A better option (IMHO) would be to buy a NEF or TC Encore. A 24" barrel on an Encore or NEF makes a weapon that is considerably shorter that a Bolt action rifle with the same barrel length.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Back