curs first day calling

Petersen

Well, I took the cur out for her first morning of calling. I had to get out and reset my frozen traps and figured a should make a couple of stands with her before working on the traps. We made three stands with no luck. The wind was blowing pretty good but I still felt alright about the the stands.

She seemed to react pretty well though. She messed around in front of me and in back of me as well. When she was out of sight for a few minutes I would make a bird sounding whistle and she would come back to me. I have been pretty impressed with how smart she is and how easy she is to work with.

Not all the traps were froze up but most were. I missed a fox and coyote due to the frozen ground. However, a set under an overhang caught a little cottontail. The poor little guy wasn't dead when we got there, but, the cur had a little fun. She nipped at it a few times. She left it alone after some direction. When i released the rabbit it was not quite fast enough. She caught it and busted it's neck. Yeah, she was pretty proud of herself. We are heading out again today so maybe we will have some luck. Oh yeah, as for resetting traps, dumb idea, thunderstormed on new year's eve and then everything froze. there seems to be ice everywhere at the moment and some more weather will be moving through in the next couple of days.

Back