recoil spring in 1911

Rem700BDL

I was wanting to shoot some +p,s threw my 45 and was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a stronger recoil spring and put it in.I have a springfield armory 1911A1.some people told me i should and some say it wont hurt sence i wont be shooting alto of them threw it.thanks for any replies in advance. Chris

I am going to sound like an old "Crumudgeon"... But, with a good bullet you do not need +P ammo in a .45. I carried one in Vietnam and after as a police officer... and used it with decisive results with 230 gr hardball and 210 grain half jacket flat nose and Speer hollow points.

However, if it is your desire to feed your 1911 +P ammo on a regular basis a stiffer spring and a nylon recoil buffer are a good idea. The stiffer spring brings with it issues of reduced reliabilty (potentially) if you forget to swap it out and you go back to "normal" loads. If you just want to "experiment" with a box or two then no need to change (unless you are using a "Gold Cup" or older "National Match" pistol setup to handle "wadcutters"). With any pistol, it is prudent to have it checked by a smith if it is in any way "older" before you load it with any +P ammo.

I always change the 16 lb factory to a 18 lb Wilson or Woffe spring on my 45 acp. I shoot the HORNADY 230 gr +P for hunting but carry the the 230 Fed Hydra-Shok or Speer Gold Dot in my carry pistols. My Springfields have never jammed with any of the loads. I took this Wild Boar with one of my Springfields and the Hornady +P back in March of 2005 at 35 yards and he dropped in his tracks . I hit him right behind the shoulder, bang ,flop and kicked a couple of times and dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bobboar.jpg

45andboar.jpg

I guess when you pack that pistol hunting you're always looking at a nice rack... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
I am going to sound like an old "Crumudgeon"...

You ARE and old "Crumudgeon", my Much Older Friend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I would not worry about the spring change unless you are planning on feeding your 1911 a steady diet of the +P loads. It will not hurt it.

Rem700BDL: You can put a heavier spring in if you like, but if you don't have many of them to shoot, I wouldn't worry about putting a heavier than stock spring in there.

You shouldn't need shock-buffs or any such item. If you do it's because you have the wrong spring or a worn out spring in there.

What I would worry about, however, is if your current spring needs replacing as it is. If you shoot the pistol much, and it's using a standard music wire spring that you've never given second thought, it's due for a replacement. I'd recommend switching to a chrome-silicon spring as you don't need to worry about changing them but once a year, regardless of round count.

Measure your spring. If it has lost more than 1/2" from its length when new, then it is time for a new one.

Back