hunting with Wiley E

albert

Thought that I would tell you about a little hunting trip I went on. I went to Kodaka S.D. to do a little hunting with and to receive instruction from Wiley E. Despite his claim to the contrary I found Wiley E pleasant to be around and enjoyable to hunt with. A couple of days before I got there they had a fresh snow, but unfortunately it melted somewhat and got crunchy. By the time I had left most of it had disappeared but it made the coyotes harder to see. The weather was mild with the temperatures getting up into the forties. So conditions where less than Ideal.

Wiley E doesn’t have any big secrets pretty well everything he does he has said on the various boards. Or if he does he never told them to me. LOL. His style confirms what I am starting to believe, that there are no big secrets to calling a lot of coyotes. It is mostly a matter of doing all the little things right. First thing I noticed is that Wiley E is fussy about stand selection; he notices every thing a “little” blind spot is just not acceptable. Actually Wiley E is a bit of a perfectionist, good isn’t, great is. Wiley E told me his goal is to call into range 80 % of the coyotes he sees and to kill fifty percent of them. Pretty lofty goals I have kept track of my numbers and they are nowhere near this.

Wiley E is a believer in howling and this is why I looked him up and went hunting with him. His howling technique appears to be very solid, I would say IS but I don’t have the experience to qualify this. Numerous times we had coyotes keep howling back at us. once we even had a neighboring group howl at us after the dreaded “warning bark-howl”. He told me the main reason for howling is to convince the coyotes that you are a coyote and to remove suspicion. If a coyote(s) howled at us and we got no response we would move closer to the coyotes and invariably we would call one or more in. Another point of interest is doesn’t subscribe to all the different howls but sticks to the basics. I am sure you have heard him say that Sceery’s video is very good. Wiley E strictly calls with hand calls but he did confess to me that he would use is JS call more except he didn’t like carry the call around. Can’t say that I blame him you want to be in good shape if you want to hunt with Wiley E. Once you leave the truck a three-four mile round trip is not a surprise.

How did we make out? We had responses on fifty percent off our stands, which I feel is outstanding. It actually could have been higher but Wiley E liked to make sure he wouldn’t bump the coyote by getting to close on the first stand.

Wiley hunts in some gorgeous country, his idea of an elevated stand and mine are totally different. It was great to hunt in country so different than mine. Did I learn anything? Yes I learned quite a bit. I went out this last Sunday a.m. and managed to bag two. I might of gotten one of them before I went and seen Wiley E but I am sure that I wouldn’t of got the second one. Two things that Wiley E emphasized that certainly have helped, making certain the coyotes are there. And moving closer to the coyotes. One other thing that Wiley E strongly recommended was to learn as much as possible about the animal it self.

If you are looking to learn and don’t mind taking instruction drop Wiley E a line maybe you will be lucky like me and he will hook up with you. I know all he would have to do is ask and I would be there in a second.

------------------
for what it is worth, eh!

Thanks Albert! It was enjoyable hunting with you even if you missed that loud mouthed bitch coyote. LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help it. I still chuckle about that.

Wiley - "Albert, just go up there and kill her"

Albert - "Boom"

Wiley - "Did you get her?"

Albert - "No"

Wiley - "Why not?"

Albert - "Cause I missed!"

Maybe someday I won't be so serious about it and will be able to enjoy myself a little more. Thanks again Albert! Wiley E

Hey Wiley,YOU DA MAN....
wink.gif

So, Albert.

Have you been out hunting with any other Moderator on this particular Forum? I can't believe Wiley E would mention missed animals! What a snitchboy!
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

Ya it's to believe that he would tell on me like that. One thing about hunting with you Leonard you never did tell anyone how many times I missed. Thanks. lol,

Albert, I was just setting the stage for you to tell about the easy shot that I missed. Remember the branch excuse that I had? Now I'm feeling bad after such a nice story. Hope you weren't offended by my ribbin ya a little. Actually I had you shoot at that yappin' coyote cause I figured it would be an offhand shot and I would probably miss. LOL! Enjoyed hunting with ya! If a coyote hunter never misses a coyote, they're either a good liar or never been coyote hunting. Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 03-25-2001).]

Back