How coyotes responded to call

d2admin

Administrator
Hi, I just found this board via a link from another. Looks like my kinda board.
Just thought I'd share an experience from last weekend that was very interesting.
My calling partner and I were on BLM land north of Albuquerque and were on our third stand of the day. We set up on the side of a large canyon with walls that were at least at a 45 degree angle. My partner was about 60yds to my left and above me. I ran the remote 300 ft down and 150 ft out into the canyon. We had a view at least 1/2 mile to the left and 1/4 mile to the right.
I started the call using the cottontail in distress and noticed movement from the left at the end of the canyon. Two coyotes appearing as small as pin head dots were heading our way as fast as they could. I called my partner on the radio and let him know they were coming in. I swung the rifle around, put the scope on them and watched them as they got nearer. They were both running as fast as they could and seemed to be in a contest to see who could get there first. They crossed an arroyo and stopped and turned sideways about 75 yds from the call. That put the distance from me at a little over 200 yds. I'm shooting at an angle of about 30 degrees with a 22.250 and I miss high. My partner can only see the chest and head of one because they are behind a tree in his line of sight so he only sees them as they are departing. We both take a "what the heck" shot as they streak up the other side of the canyon a good 550 yds away.
Observation: These coyotes were 1/2 mile away when I saw them. The call was not cranking out many decibels of sound at all. Coyotes have incredible hearing!
Observation:When shooting at an angle you have to adjust to compensate.
All I can say is the sight from 300' of those two coyotes coming in at mach 2 was one that will be with me for a long time.

Hello RK,

Well I am glad to hear animals are still responding to the distress call. I had some luck last week with a AP-6 Sceery call. Called in a mature 30 lb female within 25 yds. Hope to head to Farmington this weekend for a stand or two, have a mature bobcat working an area, just need to keep after him.

Maybe we could meet up sometime? I attend UNM, and often would like to go calling here but have no idea really were to start. I need to get a BLM map out I guess. Good luck on your upcoming stands.

Chad

RK,

Will you be heading out of town over Spring Break? I will be around, would like to go out sometime. Always like hunting with different people, always seem to learn something. Let me know,

Chad Byers
chadbyers@hotmail.com
242-1312

[This message has been edited by NM Kid (edited 03-06-2001).]

Back