Can a Remington 700 .30-06 correctly accept .300 win mag. BBL?

Suavegato

Stupid question? Just thinking out loud here… I have 2 Rem 700’s in .30-06 and no 300 Winnie mag. Does anyone know if that action will work if I swap barrels to the 300 win. Mag.?
Thanks,

Yes the action and barrel will work. You can take to a gun smith. he will have to cut the bolt face to open it up to fit the mag case head. The chamber can actually be recut to accept the the mag case and you can use the same barrel.

You can definitely put a new 300 Win Mag barrel on the action, no problem, but you will need to have the bolt face opened up for the magnum cartridge, and possibly have feed rail adjustments made to handle the 300 Win Mag cartridge.

A good gunmith who does this sort of work should be able to fill in all the necessary work that needs to be done and what it would cost.

Have you considered selling/trading one of the '06's and purchasing a 300 Win Mag factory rifle? In the long run, a factory rifle might be cheaper, but as with most things, you get more for spending additional money on a good custom barrel, action trueing, etc.

It probably depends on what you specifically want to put into and get out of the 300 Win Mag.

Just my opinion. - BCB

Ok, So… the chamber is actually where the case is inserted and located when firing? I thought that the barrel itself held the bullet chamber cut for that specific caliber… guess not? Probably more trouble than it’s worth then… would you happen to know which (common) calibers use the same chambers? I.e. would just need a barrel change and headspace set… with the same bolt. Like .25-06 & .30-06. I think a .270 will fit that chamber as well?

What I am “thinking” is… too expensive to have 4 -6 weapons for each different purpose, esp. with high dollar optics on each one… trying to figure a way to have one action, scope etc. and swap barrels for different hunting trips. A guy I know said that it’s not that hard to do on a Rem. 700 with the right tools… and I am very mech. Inclined, sure I can learn to do it correctly. Also, another guy told me If I wanted to do this that Savage might be a better choice for weapon, they are easier to swap Barrels on?

I am looking for calibers for varmints up to Big game… i.e.(.204, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270, .30-06, .300 Win Mag.)?

Am I crazy? Is this a viable option? Just figured with 1 action, stock, frame etc… and diff. Barrels with as much as I would save on guns I could spend a grand or more for the scope and other misc. “goodies” and have a weapon for every thing I hunt…

Last edited:
I hope this comes out right. Before you go thinking on those lines, get a good book on rifles and gunsmithing. It is a little more complicated than that. Yes with the right tools you can basically change barrels out. It is more than I can type on here. If you are wanting one frame, go with an encore or a NEF you can change barrels on them with just a screwdriver. They are all ready headspaced and ready to go. Take your gun to a smith and have him explain it in person. Randy

Ok, what you are looking for is a swith barrel rifle. I have two or three that does what you are looking to do. However, you have a problem or two here. Your 06 is a long action. The 204, 22-250, 243 are short action calibers. The 250 and 243 can be done but you may encounter feed problems. The next problem is bolt-face. Your 06 is a .473 boltface. the .204 calibers have a .378 boltface and the big mags have a larger one than .473. You can't use the same bolt for all of these and you can't buy bolts from Rem.

To cover all calibers, you will need a two short actions one with a .378 boltface and one with a .473 boltface. Two long actions one with a .473 and one with the mag boltface. You will need to have them set up by someone who knows switch barrel systems. Then, all you have to do is have stocks fitted and screw in a new barrel of your choice. You will be ready to go.

In a Savage you can do this much easier as the parts can be purchased to perform most of what you want.

Ok, So IF I’m getting this right…the .204, .22-250 & .243 are “short action” and I would need one action for those. Or the .204 won’t work at all with the rest of them? If the later is the case, then could I just go with a .223 instead Or just stick with the .22-250 & the .243 maybe? Are the .22-250, .223 & .243 the same bolt face? That would cover the low end of my hunting spectrum…

Now, the .25-06, .270, .30-06 & .300 Win Mag. are “long action” and I would need a second action for those, and 2 different bolts. (one bolt for the .25-06, .270 & .30-06 and one for the .300 Win mag)? now, would I have to change barrels between the .30-06 and the .300 Win mag?

So it could be done with two actions. That is still very do-able financially, I would effectively be getting 7 calibers in 2 weapons…

If I went with Savage (which I like and have several of already) I could set one up as a short action with multiple Barrels in different calibers and one up as a long action with multiple Barrels in different calibers. And I can buy the different bolts that I would need through Savage. Now, if I am going Savage, would I have to change barrels between the .30-06 and the .300 Win mag?

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone or is it too involved and or complicated? I am thinking basically of cost savings here.

To set up 7 or 8 complete weapons would be great but probably about $10,000 or more to do! Setting up 2 actions, with barrel swapping (caliber) capabilities, would be more like $4,000 and with the savings I would be able to have much better optics too! I’m sure after doing it several times it would become pretty easy to swap them out, then just dial the zero back in with a few shots before heading out… I always like to shoot before I go hunt anyway…
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Before you launch this project, better check out how deep your pockets are! Rather than complicating your life and that of the next 3 generations, you would be better off buying a switch barrel rifle from a custom gun maker, buy a Blaser, or go cheaper with a TC Encore or NEF.

All right, so it sounds like the idea is solid but NOT with Savage or Remington... I.E. square peg, round hole... Sounds like I need to look into a "switch barrel" rifle and check cost to see if it's worth the time, trouble, effort etc... So I'm assuming with a switch barrel rifle it's simple to change out barrels and or calibers. will there still be the issue of "long action" and "short action"?
thanks,

Last year I bought a neat rifle made by SIG that has a switchable barrel option. I got it on a "fire" sale for only about $350 but it's probably usually around $500.

The SIG is different in that not only is the chamber cut into the barrel but so is the female end of the locking Lugs. Thus SIGs bolt actually locks into the barrel and the receiver only holds that assembly to the stock. When barrels are changed, the correct headspace is already machined into all their barrels and bolts so it all fits together properly.

The only bad thing is that I don't think it comes in 300 WIN MAG because of the difference needed in the male end of the bolt to accomodate the larger head diameter of the shell. I think SIGs rifle had about 4 or 5 options from 243 to 30/06.

I agree with the others that you'll spend less if you sell and buy another rifle in a bigger caliber like 300 or 338 Win Mag or 325 WSM etc.

When I bought the SIG I was thinking of a project like yours, but when I finally found how the SIG was built and that changing to a non-standard caliber (35 Whelen) was not easy, I sold it to a friend, whose son shot his first Muley (a big 4-point)with it 2 months ago.

Back