average prices for bobcat pelts?

ksboy2

fellas,
i have my cat pelts unthawing as i post this question. i am going to sell them tomorrow. all the pelts are in excellent condition. they are medium sized cats with good spots on the bellies. i am wondering what cats are averaging this season. i called my local fur buyer today and he said they are averaging $45.00. all the pelts were skinned and frozen. they have not been prepped in any way. i would really appreciate any feedback you could give me so i know where things are standing as i have not sold to this fellow before.
thanks
ksboy

A cat is one of the eaziest pelts to put up.streach and dry them! then if you don't like the money offered you can pick them up and go to the house. a 45.00 average on a grey back cat is normal but if you have a good Ks cat I'd laugh at him and walk. But you have to be honest with yourself, not all cat are good. rosetees big buck plain dull pelts 40.00 bucks. wide pale belly$$.Grading a cat pelt you will get picked to death but remember he's out to make a profit also...Charles

ksboy,
Are you selling local? I haven't talked to the local buyer for us yet, but I would think large to medium well marked toms to start around $60.00. Females may only start around $35.00 . But like the previous poster indicated cats are fairly easy to stretch and dry and that will give you more selling opportunities. There will be a KS furharvester auction in January and February in Abilene. What I have read in Fur-Fish & Game and The Trapper and Predator Caller indicate stronger prices possible for cats and coyotes later in the season.

Good Luck,

Troy

I sold 2 early stained belly females, both froze whole for $100.00 and 1 small tom early for $160.00 also I caught a kitten a month ago, wanted to let it go but it had a broken leg, I will get it tanned. These were caught in early November.

yeah
those northern cats go high.
i sold all my stuff on tuesday evening.
all the hides had been skinned, folded and frozen.
i spent very little time w/them other than blood removal and a little combing.
yotes averaged 8.00
cats averaged 45.00
coons averaged 5.00
i know i could have gotten more if i had stretched fleshed them, but i am not sure if the extra money is really worth the time.
ksboy

S&S Furs in Grand Island Nebraska is offering 125-130$ for a nice cat....Petska i beleive is getting 85-90$ for a nice one..i dont know if your close to us or not but that just tellin you wat the prices in south central ne are...

Back