scat:coyote or dog

Coyote scat is usually long with a taper at the end. Also look for rabbit hair, bone fragments, and things of that nature in it(means go ahead and get a stick and play around in it . We all have ;o) ). Look for a track near it. A dogs track is round with the two outside toes pointing straight forward while the yote toes will be pointed outwards.. Like Bill Bynum says " all good coyote hunters know their scat" lol. See ya ..James L.

Andrew, I'm still kinda new to this art of coyote hunting, been doing it for 4 years now, but I do know my poop.
Most often I see juniper berries in the scat along with hair and god knows what else.
These animals eat anything.
It is very tapered and looks nothing like a domestic dog in my opinion.
I got a Lab and his is nothing like the yotes.
If you have a dog and feed it a regular diet of dry food or canned, just compare the two and you'll see the difference.

Taste test, DEFINATELY! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Insanity is doing the same thing time and time again while expecting a different result.

Ok, if thats the only way, the thats the only way. I will have to make sure I have some strong mints or the misses wont be to happy.

ROFLMAO>>>>>>> there ya go again Encore, leading these poor newbies astray ;o) Taste test!!!lol I can tell ya for sure andrew that if your honey sees you with that in your mouth it will take more than mints ...... Seriously though I have seen some pretty big yote scat. If you get one with a little dog bred into him the scat will look a lot like a dogs but will still have all the hair and bones in it. Of course if a dog is catching rabbits regularly his will have the same appearence of bone frags, and hair. It can be a delimea but at that time you have to consider " Could it be a dog?". If there are houses near it is possible but if you are out in the country a good ways it probably isn't. James L.

"How can I tell the diff between coyote poop and dog poop when hunting or scouting?"

Coyote poop (us grizzled types call it scat)comes out of the south end of north bound coyotes. Dog poop (us grizzled types call it poop too
smile.gif
)comes in 25 and 50 lb bags that must be processed through a mutt before it is suitable for decorating the yard.

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 11-17-2001).]

This is a question that appears to be so basic, you have to wonder.

But, taking it seriously, is there anyone that hasn't stepped in one of those land mines out in the yard? Gooey pile, usually some shade of brown, uniform consistancy, definitely no hair, and almost guarenteed not to have bone splinters. This would indicate a pet animal, of some sort, even if he is romping in the woods for an afternoon.

I can usually spot coyote scat at thirty miles per hour. Depending on age, it can be green, olive drab, or gray or black with a deep chocolate tinge. Texture is diagnostic. there will be chunks and hair, beyond doubt. Also, look for a glaze. Older scat left todry in the sun will be light gray, but it still will retain the basic shape, frequently with segments, by the way. Another thing, coyotes do prefer to crap on a road, so that is a subliminal clue not to be discounted. Left on a rock, maybe a little smaller, probably a fox?

Depending on the time of year, coyote scat will have green vegetation. In my areas, that would include grapes and mesquite beans, and melons, in season. Don't expect to see hair or other normal clues, the effect seems to be similiar to a laxative; usually green and slimey.

Subject not addressed is feral dog. Have not observed this behavior, so I can't say for sure. My guess is that it is distinct from coyote, but not like domestic, either. In either case, it is not particularly important that we be able to ID every one of these things. I just like to keep a mental note as I drive through an area. That's another subject.

Good hunting. LB

That Leonard dude really knows his shidididit! LOL!

Coyote dropping certainly change with their seosonal diets.

Juniper berries create a peanut butter consistency tootsie roll dropping. Prickly pear cactus fruits look like a pile of red sesame seeds. Plum droppings are a pile of plum pits. Calf hair does not digest and creates a dropping full of calf hair.

Most of the times coyote droppings are black from a meat based diet.

I think I will go grab a tootsie roll with sesame seeds to eat.

Wiley E

A dogs duke is almost always cylinder in shape, kinda round, but abruptly ending between logs. Not much, if any taper. a coyotes will taper on atleast one end, and as mention, hair and multi colored. Wanna open this can even further and talk about bobcat crap?

Why not, BM....hey, get it?

you go first, okay?

or;
are you yourself, having a hard time distintguishing between dog and bobcat droppings?
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 11-17-2001).]

Back