More Utah Yotes (Long Story)

coyotekrazy

Hey guys finally got around to posting these pics...
The first pic was just a real qiuck hunting trip about ten minutes away from my house. My hunting partner Red Mist was not able to go that morning so I decided to try one of our 100% stands. I started up the fox pro and within about 30 seconds I had a dog coming in full blast. I barked and he locked up the brakes as a 25 grain HP from my 17 Rem hit the mark. I started up the Foxpro again and noticed a second dog coming in hard. He also had a run in with a hollow point at about 100 yards. Not bad for a quick trip into the hills.
11-29-05.jpg

It was the December 6th as Red Mist and I loaded up into the truck, the tempature gage said that it was 5 below zero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (basically colder than $#@%!) We went to a stand that Red Mist had good luck in the past, but to tell the truth I was a little doubtful of the stand. We hid the truck really well and walked over to the stand. We were positioned up on a little hill over looking a pasture. On one side of the pasture ran a river and on the other side of the pasture about 350yds away were some sage brush ravines that opened up into the pasture. It was a picture perfect setting for calling in coyotes. It was so good it should of been in a Randy Anderson video. We sat the Foxpro about 50yds out in the flat, and fired it up. We had been sitting ther about 10 minutes when Red Mist noticed a black spot out in the flat about 500yds away. Just as he turned toward to tell me what he saw, I also noticed it and it was moving toward us. What do ya know it was a coyote and right behind it was another one, they were racing toward the Foxpro. As they got closer they started heading to the right of us, toward the sage brush ravines, just what we didn't want them to do. The coyotes were on my side and red mist kept telling to breathe and to wait for them to get closer, but as they continued to the right they soon disappeared into the sage brush and were out of sight. We thought they had seen us and were out of there. Hoping that they were still in the sage brush cluster I cranked up the call again, but this time with a kitten distress, but nothing. I then switched back over the call that I was using before and one coyote popped his head out of the brush. The shot was around 300yds and all I had was my trusty Remington 17 which I knew could get there in a hurry, but wasn't sure if it had enough punch to knock the coyote down. Red Mist then whispered to me to shoot! Just then the dog turned toward me and I squeezed the trigger, the dog yelped and spun a ran toward the open flat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Red Mist and I shot it as it was heading into the brush again, but I knew the it was hit. We waited a couple of minutes and decided to go and try to find some blood. Luckily I had Red Mist along with me and he tracked down the coyote about 250yds away from the first shot I took. He was still alive but the Remington 17 sent him to coyote heaven!! It was a good day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
12-06.jpg

December 9 2005 Red mist and I headed for camping trip #2 for the year. This time it is 3 days instead of two. Red Mist had pneumonia, but I still talked him into going on the trip we had been planning it all winter. We also had just bought a camping trailer a.k.a. "Coyote Den" This would be the first time using the "Coyote Den" for the year and we wanted to know how it would do. Well we headed out on friday afternoon around 3:00pm, we just got to our secret spot #39 around dark. So we decided to go do some howling to see if we could locate some packs. We found a couple and then headed pack to camp. We woke up around 6:30am and head out on the fourwheeler. The first stand it was cold and that's about all. The second was a good one. We were set up in a patch of cedar trees and in the middle of the cedar trees was a huge opening of bare ground, the only thing on it was snow. We sat up on the edge of the opening and fired up the Foxpro and about 2 minutes into the stand two came a on a dead run right at us. They started to circle around on us toward the left on my side. I barked thinking that Red Mist had a shot and when he didn't fire I lit up the old Rem. 17 and the coyote went down. Red Mist fired all four shots of his blazing .22-250 all four of the Nosler 50 grain ballistic tips hit everyting but coyote. So we got one out two not bad. The rest of the day was pretty good, we set up on one stand that was picture perfect. Except the only we could cover the huge valley was to set up around 20 yards away from each other. When I turned on the Foxpro three coyotes popped up out of the brush about 300yds away from me. But what I didn't know was that Red Mist was watchin the fourth coyote down below him, one that I couldn't see. At the same time he didn't know that I had three coming in to me. His dog started to walk away into the heavy brush and that was when I heard him bark and the .22-250 fire, but I still couldn't tell where he was shooting. His dog wasn't even bothered by the bullet whizzing by his head. Then againg Red Mist barked againg the the .22-250 reared it's ugly head and nothing but bang flop! It was an incredible 350yd shot for anyone. (without shooting sticks) While all of this was happening Coyotekrazy was shooting at his three coyotes that by that time were packing the mail. It was then time to head back to the "Coyote Den" and cook BBQ coyote ribs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Later that night we set back up in the cedars near the area where he had luck before. Went into a clearing inside of a huge cedar patch. It was covered in about 4 inches of snow and the sun was just starting to go down over the mountain. Red Mist was set up to the left of me comfortably against a dead tree. I think he was starting to feel the affects of the cold medicine that he had been taking all day. Five minutes into the stand Red Mist sees a blurr to the left of him as he slowly turns his head toward the blurr and his eyes focus on the object he realizes that it is a coyote about 20 yards from. He swings the .22-250 around to the left of him and let two bullets fly over the coyotes head before I could get a shot off. As the coyote ran out of sight Red Mist turns to me and says, " did I get him?" I just shook my head. I could't believe what just happened, but that is how coyote hunting goes. By that time it was dark and we headed back the the fourwheeler and went back to the Coyote Den and finished off the rest of those BBQ coyote ribs. The next morning wasn't good at all it was really windy and around 10:00am we had do be heading back home. All in all we a saw seven coyotes and killed only two.
12-10-05.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. The Coyote den is awesome! I have spent many nights in one like that, but I think you might have to change it’s name to the Hanta Virus Den. I am afraid your secret spot #39 is the same as my secret spot #14. Great job. Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I am glad someone in Utah is having good luck. Keep after them boys

Back