Give me some tips

d2admin

Administrator
I'm totally new to this coyote hunting thing and I would appreciate some tips. A farmer asked me to kill the jacks and coyotes in a 500 acre mellon field. I've never hunted coyotes before, so I read up a little bit and bought a rabbit in distress call.

Yesterday I went out, found a great spot, and tried that call. I was out there for about the last hour of daylight, wind in my face, facing the tree line I was told they were coming in from.

I never saw a damn thing! Figuring I wasn't working the call right, I went back to my truck about 300 yards behind me.

When I got there I was stunned to see coyote tracks all around my truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Well, at least my calling wasn't too bad after all. :rolleyes:

Welcome to PM Kelly.

Just dig in and get to reading. If you have any specific questions, ask away and someone will help you out. Lots of very knowledgable people here.

Watermelon fields are magnets for coyotes. You should have a great place to hunt. I certainly don't call something every time. Just watch and don't overcall the area. If they bust you there a lot harder to call. When the watermelon or ripe these are good places to just sit and wait on coyotes without calling.

Welcome and Good Hunting

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kelly,

i dunno if byron forgot to mention or not but there is a HUGE topic on calling in the east and the name of the thread is "calling tactics and sounds" if you go there there's ALMOST everything there that ya need to kno...

-PPH-

Im pretty new to coyote hunting myself, and like you so far unsuccsesful. I have learned though, that a coyote will often circle down wind from were they hear the call, to try to pick up scent. I belive thats what happended to you. Your calling got their attention, they determind your location and circled downwind to pinpoint the location of the sound and picked up your scent. I have had it happen to me. I have had more luck with bobcats. Just remember that coyotes primaraly hunt with their nose. Were bobcats hunt with their eyes.
Cat Hunter

I believe most folks put too much emphasis on calling and not enough on setup. I know I did when I first started. You can call like a world champ but if you don't have the proper setup you'll not get many critters.

Well said Weasel!! I agree 100% Also think scouting has a big part in picking your set ups..well, it does here in the East anyway.

Kee

BEST TIP

Find a friend who is a Varmint Hunting Maniac in your area. I mean a guy who goes like nuts. Offer to buy him a really nice prime rib dinner and tell him you'll buy ammo,gas,food, and take him to the wiggly giggly bar next friday and pay for everything if he takes you out with his buddies and teaches you how to hunt. Repeat every weekend for the whole season.

Result-You gotta new friend,You learned how to hunt better, you had a great time at the Bar since there are absolutly no beatiful women out hunting.

LOL

Dan

PS Funny thing is thats how I learned how to hunt.

Cat Hunter,
If you can call up B-cats you sure ought to be able to call yotes, normally cats come in a lot slower than the the yotes do. it was mentioned
earlyer that your set up was the most important
part of calling, hang in there it will all come to you in time. take care,, Joe

Kelly,

Those melons will call'em for you!!

All you gotta figure out is when they are raiding the "patch" (if you can call 500 acres a patch that is) and how to get invisible. Then wait them out and BOOM!

Rub yourself in watermelon juice to be scent neutral! Ha Ha. Calling will spook the call shy 'otes. So just let those melons do the talking!

When you try calling, do it somewhere else so as to not spook those melon munchers!! That is unless you can score on a "melon in distress" call!

For everyone one else who does not have a watermelon patch, I agree with the above.

Mark

Kelly, try the simple things like staying out of plain sight, keep looking down wind, and try to sound like a rabbit that's screaming in pain. It'll take a while to get good but I know you'll enjoy hunting in the meantime. OUTDOOR3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the board Kelly and Alpha.

Kelly, you might go over to the Callin in the East board and check out the thread Callin Sounds and Tactics. Lots of good general information there for all areas.

Kelly,

Shoot the jacks and leave them lay. You'll have a baited hole. Be STILL! That's my best tip.

Boys it's April, no melons in south Texas yet.

paint yourself like a melon and roll into the field /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

I agree, be STILL, something I'm not real good at.

Back