Coyote Responces

d2admin

Administrator
I have often wonderd if coyotes respond to distress sounds because they think that there is another coyote in their territory or that a litter mate/familly member has just cought something and they need to get in on the action.

If I can get between a pair of coyotes with out them noticeing it is almost a dead lock that they will respond. The way that they respond leads me to believe that one thinks the other has just cought something and they are not about to miss out.

So the question is do they respond to distress sounds out of hunger or do they just want in on the action?

I'm sure there is some University armed with a grant to poll all those coyotes seeking the truth: why they respond to distress sounds?

I'm pulling your leg, here. I think there are a number of reasons why a coyote would respond to any sound. There are quite a few eye witness accounts where a coyote or a fox has responded to a wounded rabbit call with a dead jack rabbit in his mouth. I have had coyotes come to a call from a dead carcass, probably not very hungry? It is a visceral reaction, the same as a woman responding to the cry of an infant, while the father sleeps through it. The same as total strangers responding to a cry for help. (except New York City)
smile.gif
We assume any animal called is hungry, or bent on assisting a mate or pup, but we won't know the answer until the results of the survey come back....your tax dollars at work; stay tuned!

Good hunting. LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 03-20-2001).]

Inter- and Intra-specific competition is a major driving force of life.

its all about limited resources and living long enough to see that your children reproduce at minumum to replace your presence, and hopefully increase your presence in the future gene pool.

Game On !

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

Yeah, whatever Robb said.
By the way Robb what did you say?
Trying to use 10 dollar words on a 5 dollar cowboy again arent ya?

But to the issue at hand, I have called them when I was sure that they came in out of hunger. And again just because they were curious, or wanted to see what was making all the racket in their backyard.

I really think that it is basically an instinctual thing. Try calling a domestic dog some time. Why does he come in? they are domesticated but yet instinctively I think that they are still very similiar.
My dogs arent hungry, they have free choice dog food. Yet walk behind the barn and blow your call and they will all be there in seconds wanting to see whats up.

Robb, that all makes sense and i think most men would agree, or want to agree. Most men's female mates, however, seem to see it differently...... For some reason, women won't accept the argument, "Gee, Honey, I didn't WANT to do it, but I HAVE to increase my gene pool!"
Course, most men probably haven't tried using your exact words...
smile.gif
smile.gif

I think coyotes respond to distress sounds for various reasons.

The coyote is well known for being able to make the best of most situations it encounters. By their very nature, coyotes are hard pressed to turn down the opportunity for a free meal.

On the other hand, during certain times of the year, one, or both, of the alpha’s might show up to a distress sound to insure that their territory isn’t being invaded by non family members.

Then sometimes, I get the impression that coyotes just show up to see “whaz up” in their neck of the woods....
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Different sexes, different ages, different areas, and different times of the year will all play a part in why coyotes respond. Coyotes respond to calls for any one of or a combination of the following reasons:

1. Curiousity
2. Territorial instincts
3. Hunger
4. Companionship
5. Basic predator instincts to prey sounds.

Until we can make a coyote talk, that is probably the best experienced guess you will get. Wiley E

Back