5mm Craig AKA the 5mm rimfire

Mr. Mister

Do any of you guys have a converted 5mm Rem Mag rimfire into the 5mm Craig?

It takes the 5mm rimfire and turns it into a 5mm centerfire.

Sounds like a fun squirrel and bobcat round to me.

Anyone have or heard of this round?

Steve

I have one of the 5MM CF conversions marketed by Steve Schroeder in San Diego, CA. He supplies the CF conversion as well as 20 caliber bullets, brass cases, dies, etc.

The Certech/Eagle View conversion involves a lazer cut across the face of the original bolt head with a modified firing pin, and makes your rifle pretty much a permanent CF rifle.

Schroeder supplies an entirely new CF bolt head which is easily installed by driving out a cross pin, removing the RF bolt head, and replacing it with his new CF bolt head. It utilizes the original firing pin. It takes less that five miutes to change out the bolt heads.

Maybe I'm an eternal optomist, but if someone ever markets 5MM RF ammo again, all I have to do is swap back to the RF bolt head and I'm back in business.

The cost of both conversions is very close. IMHO, the new bolt head from Schroeder is extremely well made.

Brass is a little spendy at first, but 50 or 100 rounds should last you a long time. A load consisting of @4.5 to 5 grains of WW 296 powder is easy on brass. I shoot 32 grain Hornady V-Max bullets in mine.

I don't have Steve Schroeder's address and phone number handy right now, but if you'll look on the Twent Caliber Page, I know Mike J has contact info. for him there under the 20 caliber bullet selection.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/twentycaliber.html

You'll end up spending more for the conversion than you will for a good used Model 591/592 rifle, but it's a neat little conversion and is a real "hoot to shoot" and my cheapy Model 591 rifle is extremely accurate at 100 yards.

Personally I like the 5MM cartridge better than I do my 17 HMR.

HTH - BCB

I have the Remington mdl. 592 5mm Mag converted to the 5mm Craig by Eagle View. It is a great rifle to shoot with no recoil and report similar to the 22WMR. Accuracy is good with my rifle and it is great for crows, groundhogs, squirrels, etc. Yes, a little pricey to convert and have dies and brass made, but something I like to shoot. Several companies offer .204 caliber bullets.

Back