I'm not having any luck....

margi

Maybe I'm not as good at this as i thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I get up early and scan the fields near my home. I've tried calling with a rabbit in distress call and also a howler to locate. Nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I know there are coyotes out there. Is it a time of day issue perhaps? Although I have some experience, I would still consider myself a novice at this Yote hunting.

Are you sure there are yotes? Cause you can call a field all you want, but if theres nothing there, then your just wasting your breath.

Yotes are most active at Dusk and Dawn thats when most of the deer are moving around too. Where theres deer or rabbits/ground squirls there will be dogs.
Also there most active between Jan-March thats there breeding season the howler will work good then...
hope I could help Fawn Distress is a good one too

They have a habit of humbling people don't they?

Where do you live? Are there other people that call in that area that you know of? If there are, that can put a damper on things.

I've had luck this time of year using pup distress sounds and pouring the emotion to it on my howler. It's a good change up sound that all ages of coyotes have come in to. It may help if they've been pressured.

As far as time of day, the last two hours of datlight are king for me. It doesn't allow much time to hunt but it's proven to be very efficient this year in this area and has saved me a lot of wondering.

Brad

I'm in south central Iowa surrounded by crop lands. My own 30 acres has rolling pastures and a small pond. During the late spring, I called in two dogs from the corn field across the road from my house. I could hear them yipping in the evening hours. The next morning, I headed to a high point in that field and backed myself into the tree line and waited. Not 5 minutes and the first dog showed up. I shot and killed her at 250 yards with a .223. Next day the Dog showed up....same way. I got him at 287 yards, heading back to their den. I shot two pups from that den the next morning, and haven't seen anymore since (although I spoted a toltal of 5 pups), but I can hear them yipping in the evening hours, still. I used a Carlson Carry Rabbit in Distress call along with a Screery Howler, which I have to admit, I'm not very good with. Almost hate to use the darn thing for fear of blurting out a wrong note. Another place I've hunted is a friends cow farm. Again, I shot a young male in the early morning back in the late spring using the same rabbit in distress call. He came out of a bean field and headed right towards the barn I was hiding in. It seems that this farm has lost almost all their barn cats to the coyotes, so the farmer was very happy to see at least one gone. I haven't been able to call another in at that place either. Perhaps this is a case of beginners luck. Several hunters shot a deer just down the road from me a few days ago and field dressed in an area I can see from my kitchen window. This road is a farm road and hardley used. I figured it a good place to ambush a hungry yote...none came, for if they did, it had to be at night. The only critter I saw at this gut pile was a Redtail Hawk. Funny thing is we do hear the coyotes, so we know they are around. Maybe there are just two many gut piles for them to feed on and they're not interested in rabbits. Other possibility is I suck at this. I have no one here to teach me how to do this....I go out alone. Sure could use a mentor.

Too many variable to give a definate "this is how you do it" all I can say that we all go through dry spells now and again, for me more dry than wet. Just keep after it

Margi,
All I can say is look for more spots to call. We're very fortunate out West in that many places are available for calling. I very seldom call the same place twice in a year. Coyotes become accustomed to calls quickly. Try other sounds too. Good luck and keep at it. Not many folks have the perseverence to stick with predator calling. I average a coyote about every 8 stands. Most would rather stay at home and watch football. That's why the woods aren't thick with coyote callers. Hang in there and you'll get better.

Margi,

Don't give up, keep at them. A tip that may help you is I used hand calls like you are for my first year, never called a dog that I saw. I bought an electronic call for this year and we are calling dogs regularly, killed 7 dogs over the last week! I know alot of guys say hand calls are the best but for ME, the ecaller is working, though I plan on learning the hand calls this year.
Mike hit a great note, more sounds in more places! Best of luck to you!!!!

Gray clouds cleared up today. I heard the Yotes howeling this morning at 6:45. I jumped out of bed, got dressed and walked across the road, set up., and started calling. Within 5 minutes I had a good sized "Dog" coming from the church 3/4 miles down the road. He crossed into the lower part of my field...no doubt trying to locate the rabbit in distress call. In my haste, I forgot my bipod, so my shot wasn't too steady, but I did hit the Yote. He YELPED and went down. I got up to collect my prize and to my amazment, the Coyote got up and started running into the timber. I gave chase, following a blood trail for 1 mile until the blood ran out. A family member stopped by later, so I enlisted her help and we went out one more time for a second lookie. Another mile and we found a little more blood, but that ran out too. I can't tell you how disappointing that is to lose an animal. But the good news is my dry spell might finally be over. Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement.

Good job, most folks read about all the success on calling and killing, but if you really examine things, those that are successful plain just get out and call a bunch.

One thing that caught my attention is the howling. You say you killed the parents and a few pups are still around howling? I would bet that any howling may drive the young ones off this time of year, depending on the pitch and type of howls. I find this time of year, at least out west, that howling does more damage than good. The young ones get kicked from place to place right now by older more experienced coyotes. Running to a butt woopin would get old. Stick with the rabbit distress on the young ones. Now I am not saying in all cases this is true, but from what you had said I believe this may help. I bet there are differing opinions but thought I would through this out there for ya.

Good luck and have fun with it, very impressed with the recovery efforts.

Cool comment. I used the Howler once on Sunday, mainly as a locater. I'm not very good with it anyway, so I refrain form using it. I mostly use the rabbit calls as they mostly produce.

Back