223 optimum barrel length

A lot of the test barrels used are 24" and I have seen loads listed even using 26". Reloading manuals often use test barrels that are cut to minnium SAMMI specs. So the results are something you can't duplicate with a hunting rifle.

20" will be as close to optimum as you will get in a .223, in theroy the shorter the barrel the stiffer so accuracy should be better and velocity will not suffer enough to notice a difference, standard deviation between rounds will make more difference than barrel length.

Look at the Military, the M16 has been made in many different configurations from pistols to sniper rifles and they have yet to run a barrel longer than 20" that I'm aware of, in fact the SPR had an 18" barrel but the east and west SAM rifles had 20" barrels.

You will gain about 25 fps an inch all things being equal. As far as accuracy is concerned all things being equal I doubt you would be able to tell a difference even at the bench. Perhaps BRS's with their load tuning and skill can make a case for a 20 " barrel being more accurate than a 24" barrel.

Back