How much $$ to have a bobcat tanned?

stiff neck

How much does it cost to get a bobcat tanned at a taxadermist? Or do you guys just sell the whole cat to them? Skin it first? What if I shoot one after the shop closes, so I freeze the whole cat, or skin it?

Freeze it whole. Then bring it to them. They'll freeze it anyways until they are ready to start. If you want it mounted or if you want a rug done I'd let them do the skinning. That way you don't have to worry about messing it up. Price depends on what you want done. Mounted, rug, just tanned? That all makes a difference.

I don't know for how long but it seems to me you can freeze a carcass for quite a long time. I'm sure someone around here knows.

I didn't fool with my 1st and only cat. I brought him straight to the taxidermist. It ran me about $400-$450 for the rug and a bleached skull.

Talked to my local taxidermist today -- if you skin the cat tanning $50, if he skins the cat $80. For him to do a complete rug from start to finish with a skull and black felt included $200

Quote:
Talked to my local taxidermist today -- if you skin the cat tanning $50, if he skins the cat $80. For him to do a complete rug from start to finish with a skull and black felt included $200

Thats a great price. Taxidermy is spendy out this way.

Taxidermy is spendy every where. You usually get what you pay for also. I learned something at a tatto shop that seems to apply to taxidermy as well. Good tattoo's/taxidermy arent cheap and Cheap tattoo's/taxidermy arent good. Most people who do taxidermy as a full time profession and are exceptionally good at it usually get what they are asking.

HammerOfThor, normally your statement is true. But this guy is the exception to the rule. He does fantastic work at a great price. It is what he does for a living and does not believe in sticking it to his many loyal customers. I personally have seen a shoulder mount deer of his next to one done by another taxidermist that cost $175 more and could not tell the difference in workmanship. Neither could any of about 25 other guys. Go to the taxidermists work shop and look closely at the mounts he is working on. A poor one is easly spotted.

Back