338-06??Best Round???

Bloodhound

The thread on the 338 Federal, got me to thinking...I have over the last few years met 3 gunsmiths, who don't know each other, that use the 338-06 for their big game guns...all three could have any gun/cal they want, but they use 338-06...and all three swear by the cal...do they know something I don't?

I have always been a .338 Win Mag fan...but all three reload and use 225 grain bullets. The local guy just took a pre-64 featherweight Winchester modl 70 and rebarreled to .338-06 his 2nd gun in that cal...

Scott

Scott-
I think the 338-06 is a caliber that deserves consideration. Most are customs-Weatherby used to chamber for it but I did not see it last time I looked. So I am not sure if you can find a factory rifle in 338-06. The recoil is comparable to 06'. It drives 225gr bullets close to 180gr 06' velocity. So if the 06' w/180gr loads is doing a good job, the 225's would definitely penetrate better. I have considered buying a 06', 270 etc just to have it rebarreled to 338-06. I have not given up on the idea. Nothing wrong with magnums at all. Just that I enjoy shooting guns more when my fillings don't get rocked out of my head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif MH

If you reload, you can get the 338-06 pushing a 210 gr nosler pretty darn close to that same bullet in the 338 win mag, without the recoil. I love my 338-06, and wouldn't have a problem shooting the biggest north american game with it.

not to disagree about the 338-06, it is a great round,but i still prefer my 338 win.
the larger case gives me more range of powder and power.

I push a 200gr bst at 3000 fps for deer and a 225 sst at 2800fps for moose and bear.
the deer load may seem excessive but it does no more meat damage the a 06 core-lok and every one of the 30 sum deer I have taken with this load drop with hardly a kick(only 1 exit wound and that shot was about 300meters).
Infact most meat damage is from hemrage not the bullet so the faster you stop the heart the better.
two of my hunting parteners also use the 338 win because they are one gun hunters (moose,deer.bear).they choose to use 225's all around to simplify. I make them two loads one at 2600fps for deer(mild recoil about 308win) and one at 2900fps for all else (not so mild).

with that said,if you never will need that power the 338-06 is a great round with better case life ,less powder used per shot,and less recoil then 338win max loads

It's an interesting cartridge, and an option if you want to rebarrel something with the .473" bolt face to a bit larger bore. However, if you're getting a new rifle, I don't see the use in it. Get the .338 Win, which can be downloaded to the same recoil/velocity characteristics as the '06 version while maintaining the higher level performance of the mag. Of course, if you like wildcats (it's kinda one) or you have a thing against belted cases, the '06 version becomes more attractive, especially if you only plan on lighter bullets (

Does anyone load factory rounds for the 338-06? Have an old Ruger 30-06 laying around, and this thread gave me the idea, since I don't have anything in the 338 range..

I've probably read too much Elmer Keith, and though I like taking long range shots at coyotes and p-dogs---I believe game animals should be given fair chase and not blasted from afar, so all that said and even though this thread makes a good case for a 338-06, I think I'm still in the market for a 35 Whelen (35-'06)

I just picked up a 338-270HGT a 270 case AI open up for the 338 neck is changed somewhat. It's an Ultralight Arms Rifle model 24 weights alittle over 5 lbs. One of those deals a guy couldn't pass up rifle was built in 89. The only loading data I could find was out of Wildcat Cartridge Vol 2 and it was very interesting reading about the round. I shot a 338 mag in the 70's just didn't click with that rifle today you got alot better selection of bullets. I'm going to fireform afew rounds this week and see how goes good winter time project

I had a 338-06 made two years ago from a ruger 77 with the tang safety and fell in love with it. The rifle started off as a mint 30-06 with a very nice piece of wood. Put a 22inch shilen barrel, Bell and Carlson Thumbhole stock and matte finished the barrel and action and she is a killen machine. You should look at the Barnes 185 triple shock bullets, my rifle loves them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't run them over a chronoy but they should be pushing 3000. I shot a Mt Goat and a pretty big muley this last year, Bang-flop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Tony

Count me as another big Elmer Keith fan, also a big 338 fan. Mine is a 338 Win Mag that is my "go to" rifle for all big game hunting. I recently put a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .30-06 on layaway. A .338-06 has always been in the back of my mind, but my .338 is a rem 700 S/S and very light, so I don't see a benefit in building a .338-06. But if that Wby won't shoot ...

I really like the Nosler 200gr ballisitc tip for deer, it kills them like a lightning bolt. I'm sure a .338-06 with these bullets would be equally effective.

I have both the 338 Ultra Mag and a PacNor barreled 338-06 but in the Ackley Imp. I built the 338-06 AI to save on carry weight. I have killed elk with both 338's and with the 30-06 and the 338's puts them down quicker in my opinion. I can't tell the different in killing power on elk with AI or the UM. but i can tell the diff in carrying them. The 338-06 will kill as well as the 338 Win Mag when using 225 gr or under bullets but the bigger cases like the Ultra Mag and 338 Win have the advandage with the 250 gr. I use the 210 gr Swift Scirocco with Rel 15 for elk and it is flat and deadly. I took this elk in 2004 with the Ack. Here is some photos of the Swift 210 recovered from a bull elk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
338elk1.jpg

338SCIROCCO2.jpg

338SCIROCCO1.jpg

Back