Late afternoon/evening calling success

boatman

Hi all,
Just wondered, I am trying to expand my calling time some this fall and winter. Normally I am out calling in the early morning up until mid morning. Do the evening hours produce like the morning hours? I think I have went out one time in the evening and got no results. I think then I just stuck with morning hunts. I am in Iowa so if there are any other midwestern hunters that can give me some info, thanks in advance.
Happy calling!!

boatman,
i generly concentrate my hunts on early morning and late afternoon, just because thats when the shadows get long and i can sit with the sun at my back and be invisible. my morning routes and my evening routes are seperate and are set up ahead of time to take advantage of normal wind direction. with a plan in place and a destination in mind i find that i spend more time calling and shooting, and less time wandering aimlessly.
there are always distractions, and i don't think i've ever worked a route from one end to the other. without getting sidetracked. occasionally i will be on my way from one stand to another and will spot a coyote laid up somewhere. this is a distraction that i can't resist...... i love to call to a coyote that i know is there before i ever call. besides being a lot of fun it's real educational.

boatman--coyotes will respond to calling any time of the day or night. However, most callers get their best results the first few hours in the morning and the last couple of hours before dark. I generally call all day long when I am out and about. I have not called at night yet, but will probably try that this winter. I've had them come in to the call every hour of the day.

I have to agree with silver fox, call whenever you can . Its all good . especially in the winter months. As for your area, you will be the best judge of that if you get out and call . best of luck , and keep us posted on your sucess.

------------------
If you call them they will come-- FOX PRO.

Hey Boatman...

I hafta agree with Silverfox. Coyotes are active at most anytime of the day or night. Their food, minus cat/dog food and an occasional trash can, is nocturnal. You'll find most of the critters their looking for are running around at those early/late hours. Out here in the desert, prey animals mainly move in the relative hours of coolness, early morning and late afternoon into the evening. But they DO move during the heat of the day. A dog is a dog is a dog.

Being in Iowa, I suppose your snow season will provide you with hunting day long, as food is more scarce and in order to keep energy levels high, the yotes will seek out anything they can get their hands...er....paws on. I guess this is all an imperfect science here, unlike deer where you can pretty much time thier move by the time of day, coyotes will trek out whenever and however they please. When I hunt, I hunt all day, rarely with a break....for just like deer hunting, breaking for a snack at mid-day can be counter-productive.....while chugging down that yoo-hoo...Mr. Coyote is sneaking past your set-up giggling.

Good Luck

------------------
Yer Pal,
Bob

Well hey!!!

Sounds like I might give the evening calling a try, about Friday. Thanks for the confidence boosters guys.

I have never had troubles calling coyotes in the morning, but for some reason I just had more confidence in morning hunts. I do consider the coyote too be an opportunist when it comes to a warm meal, so I kinda thought that what you all told me would hold true. I will have too try it.

B.Jerk,
Our snow season is hit or miss from year too year. We cannot have the perfect amount. Last year we had WAAAAY too much 40+ inches, the year before that, we didnt hardly have any. Sometimes the snow gets too crunchy, and you cannot walk in quiet enough. You might as well stay home in those conditions.

About 3-4 inches of fluffy soft snow!! WOO HOO!!! cant wait. hehehe

Thanks to all of you who have posted and anymore that do.

Boat

Boatman I live in MN and I agree with everybody as far as calling all day long. You might want to try and call in the middle of the night on a full moon in the winter. With the bright moon shining down on the snow its bright and beautifull not to mention awsome hunting. I do 75% of my calling that way with awsome results and nobody driving around bothering you. Its peacefull and heart pumping when you see a red fox coming out of the darkness to your call. In MN its illegal to use lights but I promise you wont need to on a good night. If sky's are clear I will start hunting at night 6-7 days before the full moon and about 5-6 days after, you probably wont get much sleep but to me its worth it. What part of Iowa are you from? My wife is from Rockvally.

------------------
Cory

Back