Range of # 4 Buckshot ???

A shotgun and choke that patterns this shot with good center density should have the energy to kill a coyote cleanly at 65yds. The key is multiple hits and penetration.

Penetration will be pretty much the same from all shotguns with the same load, but the only way to find about pattern density for a given range is to test your gear for density and point of impact.

As far as you can get at least a few vital hits into the coyote. I have seen guns that would shoot it good out to 100 yards and others that were only good to 50 and most are 50 yard guns.

dave2pa:

It can vary from gun to gun. Most guns (12ga) will be effective 40 - 50 yards with the 3" rounds. This being said my Mossberg would consistently pattern to be effective on coyotes at about 45 - 50 yards. My 870 Remington could take a fox at about 35 to 40 yards. You need to pattern the gun just as you would for turky hunting. Try different ammo makes and choke. For example: an xtra-full might not necessarily shoot better than a regular full choke with a particular load.

By the way, I assume your talking about effective for the normal predators we hunt. Hard to beat a load of # 4 buck on in close or multiple targets.

Just my opinion on the matter. I'm a conservative shooter thus I will always usually be close enough before I shoot. Incidently, I've only taken foxes and deer (00)with buckshot so I'll let you know how it works on coyotes when I can.

Good shooting and hunting.

Range Finder

Last edited:
100 yards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifUhhh huh.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Perhaps 870,you misread the question?I beleive he asked what mite be the effective range,not"How far away could I rain #4 buck pellets down on a coyote?"

I said I have seen guns(meant 1 gun) that would produce a good pattern out to 100 yards but most guns are good out to 50 yards or so. #4 buck could kill one the far if the pattern was good enough.

I have read tests that show only about 3" of penetration in simulated flesh at 40 yds. using #4 buck. Which is more than enough at that distance, but I won't shoot one over 50 yds. Bring them in closer!! Be patient.

Chris

Last edited:
I was patterning some the other day. At 50 yards some of the pellets didn't pass thru 3/4" plywood. These were 3" mag Winchester loads. I figured that was about the effective limit.

Back