open VS closed reed

Mex3D

im about to buy some hand calls, and i want to know, whats the difference between an open VS a closed reed. i read about it a lot, but i dont know what you are talking about. also, which one is easier to use, and is there a difference in "calling power" in the hands of a newbe?? does one produces better sounds than the other?? thanx!

Mex3D-
An open reed call has an exposed reed where the sound is changed by placing your teeth and or lips at various places on the reed creating pressure which in turn creates a particular sound. As a rule of thumb the farther in your teeth on the reed the deeper the sound, farther out toward the tip the higher the pitch. These open reed calls are less likely to freeze up, which is a big plus when you are out calling in zubzero temps(Like here in Montana this week).
Close reed calls do not have an exposed reed and you simply blow through the call. Air passes through an already adjusted for pitch reed that produces sounds which are easily reproduced, some are tuned to sound like a cottontail rabbit, others more deep and raspy like a jackrabbit. These calls are better in warmer climates or in the early season. These are best for beginners, since they are so easy to use. But you will find experienced callers using them often too!
If I were you I would start with a closed reed call and get a open reed as well. You should be able to get both from Allpredatorcalls.com without investing alot of money. It is hard to beat the Crit'r Call standard for an open reed call to start with. For a closed reed call there are so many good choices you really can't go wrong. I like the sound to be more raspy so I would recommend a jackrabbit tuned closed reed call myself, But pick up a couple and give them a try, before you know it you will be out screaming somewhere like the rest of us whenever you get some free time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good Luck-MH

Last edited:
Mex3D, Montana Hunter gave you good advice. Because you live in Mexico, I'm sure the pressure on the coyotes is very light if any at all. They should be easy to call, a closed reed call well work just fine.
I paied the money years ago for a Mexican hunting permit and gun permits, hunted Baja and Sonora Mexico before. unbelieveable predator hunting down there. Good luck to you, let us know how you do.

thanx for the info!

and BillyTheKidd, you are right, coyote hunting in here isnt very common, in fact hunting at all is rare. the place i hunt has lots of coyotes, i think i have located about 3 packs unless they can travel faster than my truck, because the same hight i called some on the east, north and south of our ranch. right now im using a cd player with a cd i burnt with downloaded sounds from the net, but i thought hand calling would be more fun, plus i had the batteries die once when i was talking some dogs into comming closer.

thanx again!!

Back