This may belong in the biology department but here it goes

d2admin

Administrator
We have no real fox population to fill in the gray areas around here as far as teritorial boundries go. It is coyote against coyote. While calling will a coyote leave his teritory to investigate a distress sound? Lets say I am calling 400 yards out of his teritory will he or she cross the line?

I've often wondered the same thing when staring out across a mesa or down a wash...coyotes aren't coming because they don't dare cross a certain line in the sand! My bet is that any sort of boundaries get thrown to the wind when delicious sounds are just over yonder. Sure, a coyote might be looking over his shoulder as he comes on in to steal the rabbit, but you've gotta remember we're talking about COYOTES, here...one of the most adaptable and opportunistic critters out there.

Hell yes,if he's hungry enough he will.I don't think there is any real cut and dry answer to this question,alot of variables.How much FOOD is available,dominance of the animal.And other things that are to long to list can all play a role in whether or not a coyote will cross boundaries for a meal.hope this was of some help
smile.gif

That's a good question. The radio telemetry data we gathered on coyote behavior in the late 70's showed us that the resident territorial adults wouldn't cross territory boundaries for anything, summer or winter. We didn't have radios on pups, but we had ear tagged pups recovered up to 200 miles from their natal den in the first winter of life.

So what does this mean? Resident adults may not respond the last 400 yards across a boundary to get to your calling, but dispersing pups have no territory boundary; they are always crossing some other families boundaries . Thus, they don't have the boundary reason for not responding, and may respond for that reason.

For fur or sport hunting purposes that is just fine; having 1 coyote with your cross-hairs on him is just as good as the next. For ADC purposes, however, all coyotes are not created equal. The ones that need to be removed may very well be a certain territorial adult male and adult female. Having them sitting there looking at you from 400 yards across a territorial boundary would probably be a disaster.

Yote hunter--You are absolutely right! I have a .25/06, and although I have never used it for predator hunting one can definitely reach out a long ways with real authority. Especially for ADC work in open, windy country like we have here the .25 calibers with the 80-90 gr. bullets may be virtually unsurpassed for an "off-the-shelf" varminter.

I bet I stepped on someones toes with that statement!

Steve- Are you trying to say coyotes are teritorial 24/7/365? I know denning pairs defend their established teritory with a passion. But the rest of the year? They seem to be a lot more forgiving to transient neighbors when they don't have pups to feed. Comments?

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 03-23-2001).]

NASA--Yes, some coyotes are territorial 24/7/365, but not all of them all the time. I'll explain. The radio telemetry data we had on coyotes in the late 70's showed pretty much what you are saying. The territories were maintained vigorously during the spring/summer months; that also corresponds with the time of pup rearing. At this time the pups were also territorial in that they resided inside the territories as far as we could tell (we didn't have radio collars on the pups, only ear tags). However, we did have 1 family that lost their entire litter in 1977 to some unknown mortality agent. That family, however, maintained their territory just the same as the other adjacent families that still had litters of pups.

During the fall/winter (especially the winter) territory maintainence was much less intense, and use of the territory was restricted to about 1/2 or less in mid-winter. The colder it got the less the resident territorial adults moved. At colder than -30 degrees movement became very limited. This is also pretty much what you are saying, I think. However, the resident adults were still inside their territories.

This, however, is also the time of year that dispersal is occurring; mostly by juveniles. Juveniles comprise about 60-70% of the population. It is also the time of year that new territories could be established by disperser pups, because of less intense territory maintainence by resident adults. We never saw this happen, however, intuitively this could occur at this time of year. We never saw new territories established in the summer and judging from the way all space was occupied and the intensity with which it was occupied it wouldn't be likely to occur.

I hope I completely answered your questions, but if I didn't post back and we will continue until we get them answered or we get to where I don't know.

Back