Places to hunt coyotes in western oregon?

MIKEINEUGENE

This is my first post here and i am looking forward to learning about hunting and calling coyotes and i have a few questions.I live in western oregon and i occasionally see coyotes when deer hunting but i dont know if the numbers are high enough to justify the time so i would like to hear about any other predator hunters in the area and their experiences.I am purchasing a new thompson encore for a long range deer rifle and for predators and from what i have read and from my past experience the 25-06 would seem to be a good compromise,any opinions on this?I realize that i could do a search but a new post will hopefully give me the latest and best information.I have never taken a coyote and i am looking forward to my first and any advice on calling and set up will be appreciated.Thanks.

You're looking for a tough road to follow. I'm just getting back into hunting the west side myself. I usually head east just everyone else you've probably talked to. There are some Coyotes here. No where near the numbers there are on the east side. And, it's a LOT tougher to get to see them. Some hunt the clear cuts and looging roads. There's a couple fellas I know of that are finding private land to hunt in the valley and doing better than I expected, mostly north of us. The one bit of advice I can offer is to be creative on finding places and ways to hunt them. And, good luck. Loren.

The first coyote I ever called in was right up above Foster Lake in Sweet Home, and the last ones I heard howling were on either side of my house which is right at the edge of the city limits. They're here.

Western Oregon is almost two distinct landscapes. There's the Coast and Cascade Ranges, steep and thick, and there's the valley, open farmland with houses in just about every direction. Even down south, from Roseburg to Medford, it follows those same basic landscape patterns.

And it's almost all private lands. Like everywhere, some landowners will let you hunt and others won't.

In the valley, developments and population centers make it difficult to find a place to hunt, and when you do, often times it's not a safe area for a centerfire rifle; therefore shotguns are the best (and safest) ticket.

But there are lots of predators; coyotes and foxes, and for the most part they don't get a lot of hunting pressure. Just a couple of weeks ago when I was goose hunting in a grass field, there was fresh coyote scat right next to our blinds. One of these days I will sneak my coyote calls in with me and surprise the boys with a special treat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So my advice is to look at the landscape just as you would anywhere else. Find the landowner and ask him if there's a predator problem on his property and explain how you hunt (safely - courteously) and ask if you can hunt on his property. You're likely to be surprised.

Sorry to be so long-winded, and good luck.

Daybreak

There are coyotes in pockets here and there, but they seem to be more closely related to private ground than over on the east side. If you're in the valley you might want to check with some sheep ranchers. In the coast range I've had the best luck calling in some of the small canyons that have cattle pastures that run up into the timber. If there's livestock around, the coyotes will generally spend time in the area. This type of hunting requires getting permission from a lot of landowners, and that can be a real drag. (In some areas you'll also be more likely to call in a bear during certain times of the year.)

There are coyotes up in the timbered hills as well, but they're a little more spread out. If you ever make it over to the dunes check for tracks there too. There are a surprising number of coyotes (and deer and elk) living within spitting distance of the ocean.

Dan

I have had great luck in the valley this fall. Just remember to always go low for them. Streams, rivers, marshes especially near farms or dairys. My stand ratio is as good here as it is over east its just a bit harder to get the number of stands in each day with all the small property owners here. On the bright side they have come in quick and hard with very little thought to what they are doing. Set location is very critical in comparison to the way most call in the east side.

Back