.223 wssm awsome accuracy

leroy55

just bought a browning a-bolt medallion in .223 wssm
first day i took it out shooting @ 100 meters in absolutly no wind situation ive been getting groups of a half inch no broblem at all with factory loads! this is a new gun with not even fortyrounds put throught it.
and @ 300 meters i am gtting groups of 1 and a half inches!
funny thing thou most people say this is a very inaccurate round? i dont know why thou?
i find it to be the most accurate gun ive ever owned.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Leroy,

Good to hear its a shooter. My son has a Browning in 223wssm also. Shoots very well.

He HAD a Win Shadow in 223wssm. To say it shot horribly is being kind. Accuracy appears to be more of a problem with the Winchesters.

Are you going to reload for it?

Leroy55,

Just wait until you put 300 rounds down the pipe and look at the bore with a scope.....very scary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
Leroy55,

Just wait until you put 300 rounds down the pipe and look at the bore with a scope.....very scary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Is this more internet rumours or do you have some experience with this.

A chrome lined barrel shot out at 300rds........I'm gonna have to call BS.

Did the manual specify whether it was with the brownings chromed barrels or the winchester non chromed barrels?

Also was the erosion at the max load and what erosion do you get if you back off the maximum load?

Maybe I should rephrase my comments before someone gets their panties in a wad. Yes, I do have experience with these rifles. No, I don't believe any were chrome-lined. All five rifles, all from different makers, showed significant wear in the bore after as few as 300 rounds. Two of these rifles, the ones with the least amount of wear in the bore, I was helping load for. I won't quote figures b/c I've forgotten but some did have wear as far down as 8". Yes, if you slow them down the barrels will last longer, but none of these rifles liked the reduced velocities. My problem is Wincester is marketing this cartridge a varmint/hunting round. I can't think of any varmint hunter who wouldn't wear a bore out in a years time. Yes, it works for a hunting cartridge. When you take into account most hunters only shoot the gun 5 times a year, barrel life isn't an issue.

I have a little Browning 223 WSSM, with handloads it shoots sub MOA. I use if for predator calling and cleanly took an antelope with it this year. I have no concerns about barrel wear. I look at it like a good pair of boots. They for using, not sitting in the closet.

I have a 223WSSM in a Mod.70 Win. Stealth. I shoot 64 gr. factory loads at 3600 fps, at that speed I don't think erosin would be a problem.
The rifle does not shoot like I want it to, but it shoots good enough...about an inch. I have a couple boxes of the 55 gr. factory ammo they say goes 3850 fps. That could cause some erosion, but I don't know about 300 rounds worth.
To be totally honest, I'am not real happy with the rifle, I'll probably get rid of it after this hunting season. Right now I'm on a roll shooting coyotes with it.

Anybody interested in a Win. Stealth in 223 WSSM after Feb?

Neither Browning or Winchester ever sold any 223 or 243 WSSM's without the chromed barrels. Hornady used an unchromed barrel and made their own brass as ammo and components were not even out yet.
I saw Jim Carmichael say about a cartridge once and I believe it true here........Like fast cars and fair ladies, it isn't for every chap.

As one who has worn out many barrels when I shot competition and quite a few shooting colony varmints, I can assure you it is not velocity but the amount of powder burnt that does the damage. I tried reduced loads to extend barrel life and it did not help at all as far as I could see.

Jack

I do know that locally the 223 wssm isn't selling well at all at the Scheels store. They started out selling the Browning ABolt varmint hunters with the medium heavy barrels and dura touch synthetic stocks for about 670 dollars and they bought a crapload of them expecting strong sales, but they sold very few of them and now they have them marked down to somewhere in the 450 dollar price range. The 243 and 25 wssm sales are still very strong and those guns are still full price.

Billythekid,

When my son had the Win Shadow, we ran a few Win Supreme 55gr factory loads over the chrony and got about 3910fps. If we got anywhere near a 1" group, he would still have it.

Quote:
As one who has worn out many barrels when I shot competition and quite a few shooting colony varmints, I can assure you it is not velocity but the amount of powder burnt that does the damage. I tried reduced loads to extend barrel life and it did not help at all as far as I could see.

Jack

Jack, I remember reading an article once, quite awhile ago now, by Boots Obermeyer I think, he was talking about the .308 and he said that shooting the 200 or 220 SMK(don't know which) instead of the 168-175 SMK wore out the barrel much quicker simply because there was so much more bullet in contact with the lands.

Quote:

Jack

Doesn't the pressure that is produced by the ignition of the powder also have an impact on the barrel? If I am not mistaken , the 243 wssm uses less powder than the 243 win to achieve the same velocity, but with a higher pressure.At least that is the way I took it. So many calibers and too much to learn about them lol.

Denny

Try to think about it this way...

If you have ever welded and watched the metal reach a certain temperature point then suddenly go "Poof"... that is something like what happens when the super heated corrosive gases from powder washes metal away. Keeping pressures and temperatures below that melting point is what is critical, not overall velocity. Velocity is generally created by higher pressures so there is the tradeoff. It generally takes more powder to make higher pressure!

I shoot a 22PPC at 3570fps(over chrono) and have handloaded to over 3900fps(not a good idea at all!) I don't really see the fascination with more speed... I want super accuracy!

A good 22br, 22PPC, or even 220swift is probably more accurate and barrel friendy than the new super wssm's in my opinion. Hundreds of benchrest records can't all be wrong! Now that is just an opinion!
Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back