I wanna shoot a (few hundred)Prairie dogs...but i'm in Tennessee..lol

BLKCLOUD

Can any of you give me a heads up on the closest place I can go to shoot some??I'm guessing Tx or Ok but I need a little help..thanks!!

Last edited:
not a very lofty goal ...."a prairie dog" will take you a few minutes to set up and shoot. Now you should have said "I wanna shoot a few hundred prairie dogs" .....only kidding. Anyway how far you willing to go...don't know anything about OK or TX but we got 'em here in CO.

Head to the local exotic pets store. Order one, place it out in the feild and there you go. Oh be sure ypu hit it you do not want to get a popluation going. (Just kidding)

Quote:
I feel you there man, I'm in KY. I'd love to go shoot some PD's, but not sure if I'll ever get to.

Fellas, a little reality check please...

If you'd "love to" shoot a few prairie dogs, what's stopping you?

I went out west on many a solo trip before I ever started filming it, and I'm in the middle of NYC!

Load up the truck, grab a buddy, and head to the plains. You won't be sorry if you do, but you'll complain endlessly that you "never had the chance" if you don't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Oklahoma and Texas both have quite a few prairie dogs,but there isn't any public land to shoot on in either state. Land here in Oklahoma is very easy to get access to if that is all you want to shoot. I have several places that we shoot on in western Oklahoma if you are interested pm me and I will see what I can do. Okhunter

OK, I'll get up on my soap box again. But if you want some real shooting, and you are not a local, pay for a guide either in WY or SD. You will be almost guranteed of 300 shots per day. A lot of you out there equate paying a guide to buying a lady's "services". My opinion, Hey, if you want results....

Most of us have very little time away from our jobs and families and when I go shooting, I want some shooting. I refuse to spend the majority of my precious hours of vacation time wandering around looking for a place to shoot.

"Hey sailor, are you looking for a good time?" You better believe I am.

Hello,

I'll have to agree with claimbuster, when you decide to venture into pdog country, do it right. If your budget is limited and you've only a few days to go dogg'n, hire a guide for atleast one day. They will put you on dogs and I can almost promise you, you will forget about the fee from all the fun you're having.
Finding dog towns on your own can be a pain. If/when you spot a town from a distance: you'll need permission if the land owner is even around. I could go on and on about leg work. Leg work can cost more than hiring a guide in the long run: gas, motel, meals and various liscences.

One quick story: I was working near Mobridge, SD and stayed at a motel for the two weeks of work. Two different pairs of pdog hunters were staying at the same hotel as us. The older and obviously more well off pair were from Georgia were outfitted to the nines: new truck, well dressed, portable benches, and firearms that were worth more than the truck they were in. These two stayed a week and complained every night about the lack of pdogs. The other pair were younger guys from Ohio and Illinois out there for the weekend with an older truck and guns that looked well used, but well taken care of. These younger guys wouldn't shut up about how much fun they had. They hired a guide for $300 for the weekend and they were out of ammo on the first day. The older guys tried to do it on there own. From the conversations I had with each of these pairs, the younger guys had more fun in less time with a heck of a lot less money.

Just something to consider.

JA in SD

I would recommend the SE Colorado area. Last year my shooting buddy and I went to Springfield, CO for 4 days and did not have anywhere to shoot. I went a day early and it was easy to get permission from several landowners. Just find a spot where there are dogs and knock on the closest doors. If you are respectful most of the landowners will give you permission. They just want the population reduced.

We were shooting just east of town one morning and when we went into town for lunch we actually had a landowner stop and ask us if we were looking for another place to shoot. He laughed and said he was very good at hijacking shooters to try to control his own dog population. I now have several names and places to go for our planned trip next May.

I've been shooting PD's for about 10 yrs. I have never ask anybody where to go. You can do your own research on line or on the telephone. Join the varmint hunters [beeep]. People are not going to tell you their hot spots and you shouldn't expect them to. I have shot in ND, SD, MT, WY, CO, and I know where to go in KS, and NM, and NB, although I have never shot in those states. Half of the fun is finding all this out yourself. I live in OR, so PD shooting is not just across the st. for me. I was never wealthy enough to pay a guide, so had to do it on my own. Last yr. I went for 6 days, and the first day me and my wife fired over 900 rds. and on the 6th day we only shot 3.5 hrs and fired almost 600 rds. These Dogs were found by accident, so they are not hard to find. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are giving up half the fun by not researching yourself.

Hector, i postd this on a catfishing board and this is what response I got..that's why i'm posting it here..
"I was going back in the spring to the panhandle of Ok to shoot some. But did not work out. The buddy that I was going with. Got someone else to go as I could not. Sure glad I did not make the trip.
Between the plague and the ranchers putting out poision. They did not even unload there guns..
Pete"
okhunter THANKS!! pm is on the way!!
JA, i live in pulaski, about 75 miles south of nashville..

For the record, I'll disagree. Carnage trumps research in my book, every day of the week.

I've wasted valuable vacation days looking for "hot towns". 6 hours of driving around and knocking on doors, etc., just to find a quarter section of shot out dog town.

IMO, this was not half the fun.

Prairie Dog shooting isn't quite as easy as some people make it out to be. Sure I can give you a name and number of some ranchers that have "some" dogs but they probably aren't worth your 1200 mile drive to shoot 50 dogs. The Texas panhandle, east of the Rockies in Colorado, western Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle all have a few dogs but not worth more than a couple hour drive to shoot for one day. If you want to shoot for a few days and shoot a 1,000 rounds you need to go to: South Dakota west of the Missouri River, NW Nebraska, eastern Wyoming and/or SE Montana. I know because PD shooting has been my compassion for 35 years or so and I have been to all of those places. The heart of prairie dog shooting is Rapid City, SD. I can give you the name of a place in SD where you can shoot a couple hundred dogs in a day for about $100 a day room, board and a guide to get your feet wet. Stay a couple of days then you can bum around looking for other places.

Montana has plenty to spare,tons of them on public lands and most ranchers are more than willing to have them shot off thier property.Heres what its like riding in my grandpas truck out on our prarie pastures...BUMP...godamned gophers....BUMP...godamned badgers!...Bump...

Back