fox pic, snares were good to me last night

fishermann222

Went out and set some snares yesterday and some foot traps as well. Here is a pic of one of my snare sets

IMG_0299.jpg

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. I am new to leg hold traps. I set out 4 of them yesterday and 3 were tripped and thrashed all around. all I found was some fur at the site of all three. What am I doing wrong? Are they freezing up slightly and that is slowing them down from snapping shut? any help would be apprecaited. I am starting to think some of hte fox out here are like houdini.

Last edited:
That is an excellent photo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Very nice.

I'll go out on a limb here until the trapping posse shows up, and say that I'm betting your sets were dug up. If you leave any sign of something being a amiss, or even some scent from not wearing gloves...they'll get paranoid and dig em up quite often.

Thanks for the advice, The fox here are pretty stupid, nobody traps them except for me. They even roam the village during the night. I am trapping them at the local dump, so human scent is everywhere. What are the best ways to keep them from digging them?

Last edited:
What size leghold traps are you using? are the springs strong? it could be a weak trap, or too small of a trap, or if they werent dyed and waxed they may be slightly freezing as you mentioned...lots of possibilities. Great job getting 3 out of 4 sprung though.....definetally good placement.

I agree with RR. for that many to get dug up sounds like they were contamainated(sp) dirty. and like night said darn good placement boil your traps and wax them and you'll be in business...Charles

I am new to using the foot traps, Do I order the wax from a trapping supply place? with my snares I boil them in water with some tundra, should I do the same with foot holds?

There are tons of fox around and snaring them has never been a problem, but as winter goes on I am going to have to venture out on the open tundra and make some sets with foot traps, so I am "practicing" now.

I really apprecaite the help guys

if their is a catch circle then the animal is pulling out. but if their is little if no catch circle they are either dug up or they are being rolled on. yes you should at least wax your traps also make sure pan tension is right. should be about 1 1/2 lbs. do you guys have any problems with your traps being frozen tight?

Are you using urine on your sets? if so Stop it, it will cause them to roll on your patten and all you will have is hair in the trap. are you bedding you traps tight? any loose soil or a trap that moves a little when the fox steps on a jaw or lever will cause them to dig.

I'm sorry guys, but the old advice about not leaving any human scent around the set is a bunch of bull. I make my sets with my bare hands and I catch K-9's. The K-9 be it a yote or a fox will know you was there, regardless of how well you keep from leaving scent. I have pics of yote tracks in the snow that are next to my boot tracks when I was checking traps a couple of years ago, I also have seen where fox have used my boot tracks to walk in snow. I am a firm believer in making a trail to my sets when there is snow on the ground, it helps the K-9's find my sets better and if I just walk by them and don't stop the K-9's will think it's something to check out.

Fisherman222, get a couple of good K-9 books and a good one on winter trapping is by Russ Carman called winter fox trapping methods. Hal Sulivan also has a good book out called Canine 2000, it also covers a little about winter trapping. and yes get your wax from a trapping supply house. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm or email, erdkht@bright.net and I will be glad to help you. Jeff

Back