New York Bobcat 11-26-05

Back in early September, our buddy Bobby promised that he would kill the bobcat we have been seeing around the area. He promised to kill it only because of the mere fact it ate a squirrel in his treestand and left the carcass up there and dirtied the carpet in his stand. That was the cats death wish. So, on Saturday, my dad and I were coming out of the woods after hunting the afternoon and are standing there talking with one of our neighbors and we hear a shot. It came from the direction of Bobby's stand so my dad called him on his cell phone and asked what he just shot. Bobby said he took a shot at the bobcat. 2 minutes later, Bobby calls back confirming, Bobcat down.
It was a 10lb male. Not a big one, but the first bobcat taken in Hurleyville, NY in a looonnnggg time...

The lucky hunter and his quarry:

bobcatdegraw11-26-05.jpg

My dad and Bobby:
dadbobcatdegraw11-26-05.jpg

Princess ( Bobby's dog ) sniffing the putty tat:

princessbobcat11-26-05.jpg

Some cool pics of the cat:

bobcatmouth11-26-05.jpg

bobcat11-26-05.jpg

Exit hole after being shot with a .25-06:

bobcatexithole11-26-05.jpg

I tought I taw a putty tat!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifIt's the first time I have seen the post....glad ya'll have some of them up there...they are fun to hunt.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.. if you guys had read the post, you would have realized that it wasn't me that shot it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Bobby is having a full body mount done on it anyway.

Sorry, I did read it but guess I missed that part. Anyhow a bobcat is a trophy in my book any day. I would like to see a picture of it when he gets it back. okhunter

From the looks of it that cat, its a yearling to me. I have heard there is lots of deer up there. So I would ask around and I think you will find there are way bigger cats than that around. Cute lil kitty.

I passed one up a little larger than that one this past winter. Just couldn't see the point of shooting it. Now, a big old tom is another story! I love when a cat shows up on the stand. Kinda special animals, not all that bright, but special all the same.

This looks about the size of a spring born I got in a coon set last fall.

30 years ago, rope2 and I were trapping fox in Modena [not to far from Hurleyville] and had a cat bend a #2 coilspring like it was nothing and escape. We new it was a cat as it had snowed that night and it's tracks were the only thing coming and going from the set. Keep your eyes open cause there are some big cats around there.

robbor, you are lucky if you see one deer on stand up there. The coyotes and poor habitat have really screwed up our deer population. I think in Sullivan County there are 7 deer per sq/mi. Which I also believe leaves a 2:5 buck to doe ratio.

I agree, any Bobcat is a trophy, to me at least, and there is just something special to hunting them. I don't blame him for mounting it, it was his first ever, something not seen there very often, and a nice trophy and something to look at and remember.

That 25-06 did less damage to the cat than my 223 has.

Good Shooting.

You probably know the numbers better than I and I haven't hunted that area for a while, but I was just up at my Dad's which is just south of Kingston and saw deer every day from both his front porch and back. Several nice bucks. He shoots one every year out his back door [foregive him, he's getting up in years and I'm not there to go out with him]. We also saw lots of turkeys. From what I can tell, that area is as strong or stronger than it was when I was a kid. I envy you. Enjoy it!

Back