Remington 7400 or 7600?

i just baught a 7400 the weathermaster model, it is sweet! i have shot 4 boxes throught it to see what it likes. no jams no problems. it groups pretty well with 165 grain rem and federal. some people dont like it because it has a reputation to be a jammer, but this gun has been aroud a long time and those that like it love it and those that dont well... they hate it... the 7600 is very reliable and and has the potential to group well, but so does any gun.. idid alot of checking around before i baught mine so far i am happy...

I would probably recommend the 7600.I have owned both a number of years. I am an autoloader man from way back, but the 7600 is a better rifle than the 7400 from my experience.
I have had work done on my 7400 a couple of times due to jamming. I would place my life on the 7600 over the 7400 any day. The 7600's I own are on par with most bolt guns.Pick up a 7600 in a .270 or 25-06 if you are planning to hunt deer and coyotes. That is just my opinion.

thanks coyote hunter, exactly what I was looking for. But I thought the 7600 only came in 270 and 30.06. Oh by the way, I'm not too far down the road, near St. Louis. Got relatives in Pekin.

Remington had a limited run on 25-06's. I happen to have one.It has the pepper laminate for stock and forearm. Real sharp looking! Ask around at some gun dealers if you are interested in a 25-06.Are you hunting coyotes with the rifle? If you want a 25-06 let me know because I might be able to hook you up with one up towards Lasalle Peru. Personally, you could just shoot light bullets in the .270.

Love the 7600. If your not a bolt man it is the only way to go in my opinion. Mine is very accurate. Trigger is the only slight down side on mine. I also have a limited run in the grey laminate but in 7mm-08.

7600 all the way! Quality rifle with a well deserved reputation for accuracy and dependability earned the hard way. Grice's gunshop handles many of the special runs from Remington. They have some now with maple stocks, but I just can't imagine that near white flashy wood on a coyote stand. Or in the deer woods! In fact, I'll bet that looks like a moose antler flashing in the north woods.

I'd really like to have one of those pepper laminate .25-06's! That'd be the cat's meow for a quick shooting combo rifle.

7600 all the way. I myself am a 760 man, I have 3 and counting(.300 savage. 35 Rem, and a 35 Rem being rechambered to 35 Whelen Imp). But the 7600 is also a very good pump action rifle. They (760 and 7600) are very accurate, and are very dependable. The 7600 is chambered in .243, .270, .308, and 30-06, as well as a 30-06 carbine. Check them out at

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_7600_specs.asp

and for a special order 7600, check out

www.gricewholesale.com

The special orders are in various caliberes and it changes from year to year.

Get a pump, you won't be dissapointed.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies. I was actually considering a Browning BAR, but I think I'll go with this. I really like pump action weapons and since the caliber restriction is a little less now, I think this is what I'll buy. Did'nt know there were this many people from around the area on here.

Quote:
Did'nt know there were this many people from around the area on here.

Yep! me, too!
Just remember....
I saw those coyotes first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
They're all MINE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
me!

I have owned 3 7600's with no problems. Two in 30-06 and one in 243. I reload and am getting a .6" group with 150g Seirra gamekings at 100 yards which is way better than anything I thought I'd get out of a "pump" rifle . Had good luck with 180g Nosler balistic tips as well with a .5" group. This the type of accuracy most people dream of getting out of their bolt actions. My dad owned a 7400 back in the early 80's in a 30-06 and I can remember that thing jamming and the clip falling out after every shot. My 7600's have had absolutely no malufunctions. You can get them right now in a limited run of 223... a way cool looking all black, short heavy barreled police type verson, last years limited run of 35 Remington and 35 wheelin(awesome caliber for amything big game in North america). They have them in standard calibers avialable in 243,270,30-06, and 308. If your looking for a special caliber call Remington direct, sometimes they offer special run calibers and stock configurations in these rifles. As for me I'm going to be ordering a grey pepper laminate thumbhole stock and forearm from Boyds gun stocks for around a Hundred bucks to complete the look.

I did own a 7400(.270 Win), I do own a 760(.30-06 Sprg), and
a BAR(.308 Win). As the poster mentioned, he is a fan of
semi-autos, I to am a big fan of auto loading rifles.
I have a number of bolt action rifles, and one bolt action
pistol, too.

I sold the 7400, which was 1.5 MOA accurate, with handloads,
and it never failed to cycle or fire. It was sold because of the
issue where the gun slowly beats itself into unreliable
cycling. My brother, who loved the gun, purchased it from
me, as I was about to trade it. He is a hunter,
and only shoots a few Zero checking rounds a year,
and is in no danger of "wearing out" the 7400.
I would have killed it in 5 years, with my shooting
habits. I like to shoot my guns!

So to my recommendation. First of the two mentioned,
I would opt for the 7600. My 760 is at least MOA accurate
with the factory ammo I have tried(Fed. Premium).
My first attempt at handloads was under 1 MOA, and
that is as far as I went with load development. I
inherited this gun, when my Father died in an accident,
and I don't hunt the rifle very often, so a vast array of
ammo is not necessary. It is ultra reliable,
easy on the eyes, and plenty accurate for hunting
anything from fat groundhogs on up to big game.

But someone mentioned BAR, and that would be
my recommendation, over a 7600, especially for
someone that prefers semi-auto rifles. It always
takes a second or two to remind myself to complete
the pump action, that was started by the recoil of
the rifle, with the 760. I prefer to not have to think
that hard when under the pressure of shooting a
trophy. My BAR handles that for me, and so far
under some nasty hunting conditions, it has
never failed cycle in a fresh round. The semi-auto
brings a couple of other attributes to the table,
superior to the pump rifle. First is noise. If the
first round fails to find it's mark, and the mark
doesn't know where the shot came from, the noise
of pumping the next round in the chamber, may
give the shooter away. Second is if the animal
now kicks in the go fast drive, swinging on a running
animal, is much more fluid, with an semi-auto,
than if the swing has to accomodate the pumping
action. Some folks do not have a problem maintaining
good swing, and pumping the action, and others do.
I am one of the later. As for accuracy, my BAR LW Stalker,
in .308 Win, puts several handloads, and at least one
premium factory load, into sub MOA groups.

Both are fine repeating hunting rifles, that I would
trust my life to. The choice would boil down to
preferences for pumps or semi-autos, and possibly
budget. I think the 7600 is about 50% to 60% the cost
of a BAR.

Squeeze

Now if the choice is between a 7600 and BAR... Well, I think most of the regulars here know which I'd go on that one. A search of "BAR" should turn up some real interesting and positive info. To include a target or two shot with BAR rifles. They are hard to beat in the "fast shooter" catagory.

Back