22 Hornet or 221 Fireball

beavdha

I need some help on deciding which of these two to get. Here in Ohio it's rather populated and where I hunt there is no way to get a shot at over 200 yards - most likely most shots will be 100 yds or less. I'd like to use it for the few remaining foxes and of course coyotes and maybe even raccoon as I plan to do some predator calling. The main area I hunt is on a dairy farm - I don't know if there is much difference in the report of a 22 hornet and a 221 fireball. I do save the pelts, so that is another consideration as well. So I guess a pelt saving, low report that won't spook the cattle and still kill coyote, fox, and coon is what I'm looking for. If anyone has both of the above calibers - which do you like best?
Thanks in advance

Don

I don't have the 221 fireball, however they are almost the same with a slight edge to the 221. If you don,t reload I would go with the hornet, they are made by most gun maker's and ammo is found almost every where.

Don,

I have them both and know about what it is like in Ohio. First the history – I had gotten my first hornet when I was shooting groundhogs at the edge of town and didn’t want to upset everyone in the area. I used my .223 or 6 BR if I went out to any of the farms in the area, but kept the hornet for the close to town shots. I then got the .221 and fell in love with the round. Unless I know I am going to be taking 300+ yard shots (which I usually can’t make anyway) I take the .221. While not a huge difference, it will make more noise than the hornet, but for me it does a better job. The .221 ballistics are closer to the .223, but the sound is not as great. I am shooting 17 grains of RL-7 in the .221 which, according to the reloading manual, should be sending a 50 grain bullet about 2780 feet per second. In the hornet I was using 10.5 grains of 4198 with a 50 grain bullet traveling about 2250 feet per second. So, as for knockdown power, I would go with the .221. I have heard of shooters having accuracy problems with the hornet, but I have not personally had this problem with mine. On the other hand, I have heard of only a couple of shooters that have had accuracy problems with the .221.

Hope this helps,

Hawk

Ya know, reading your requirements and concerns I would toss the 17 HMR into the mix. Plenty of reports of folks taking coyotes with one. There are those who do not feel the 17 is a reliable coyote getter but with the phenomenal accuracy the rifles they are chambered in are capable of it is very easy to put a well aimed shot into a coyote and not have them run off.

Just wanted to add to the dilemma. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

my hunting partner and I have both gone to using Lil-Gun exclusively in the Hornet and K-Hornet... anywhere from 11.5gr to 13.5gr, mostly with 40gr V-Max for ground hog and coyote and for fur/fox and raccoon we shoot 12gr and 40gr Speer or Sierra SP's... much more consistency and better accuracy then anything we've had with the other conventional Hornet powders...

Thanks for the input - I've had a 17 HMR but I really don't feel that comfortable using it on coyotes. At least not on the size we have here. I think they are on steroids or something. I'm looking at the CZ rifle in either 22 hornet or 221 fireball calibers. My brother in law mentioned the 17 Remington - but I would think that it would be fairly loud round - maybe as loud as a 223? I don't know, I have never shot a 17 Remington - I have shot plenty of 223 and 22-250 in the past. A 223 in a contender pistol sure is loud!! I won't be shooting in the barnyard - but I will be a field or two over.

Last edited:
I have a 221 Fire Ball and it is considerably quieter than a 223. My load is 15 grain of Lil Gun behind a 40 Nosler BT at around 3350 fps and it is a deadly combo on woodchucks or coyotes. Actually neither has a wide selection of ammo on the shelf of most gun shops but both have very good ammo available, you just might have to order it if you don't handload. Either would be fine for your criteria but in my mind the 221 Fire Ball is what the hornet wants to be when it grows up.

I would not consider the .17 HMR for yotes!

Now, .221 Fireball is the only way to go. If you reload it is even better. I have them all and Hornets are finicky with reloads and factory ammo is down right pityful in most of them. If you get a Hornet get a CZ, they are the best out of the box.

I have several .221 Fireballs including XP-100 pistols. The worst loads you can put together will eclispe any Hornet round for accuracy. Factory Rem 50gr loads are pretty good and will kill well. For the reloader, .221 will get within a few hundred fps of a .223 with 40gr bullets. Brass life is exceptional unlike the Hornet. You can always load the .221 down but you can't load a Hornet up.

Also, the .17 Rem would be my choice. I own and shoot several of them as well. Like them in populated areas because they are quiet and have exceptional range. The only problem with the .17 is you have to be a reloader because Rem factory ammo is terrible.

I have Hornet and Fireball in 527 American CZ's. Both are exceptioal for accuracy and shoot factory loads well. I also have .221 Rem 700's and they shoot too. If you have a .221 that is not accurate something is really wrong. My .221 Xp pistol's will shoot 3/4 inch or better groups at 100 with no problem.

I am not here to bash Hornets but the Fireball is so much better on all fronts. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Is the 17 Remington going to be better on pelts than either of these choices and how about knock down comparison? And if its a better choice do you have any tips on prolonging the barrel life?

Steve.

How much louder is the 17 Remington? Is it as loud as the 223? I'm going to the base Rod and Gun club tomorrow to put in an order - still deciding - I want to make sure I get what I need to kill cleanly and keep the fur.

Thanks,

Don

The .17 Rem is the best pelt rifle I have ever seen as compared to anything else. The problem is you need to reload for it as Rem factory loads are terrible. You need to be shooting some of the 28-30gr custom bullets for performance. With some of these high BC bullets my .17 will shoot with my Swift in the wind. You put the bullet in the kill zone and a .17 will stand up to anything else with the right bullet in my book. As far as barrel life, I don't think you could shoot one out in your lifetime unless you abuse it.

The way most people load it the 17Rem is very noticeably louder than the 223, maybe not louder but it has a higher pitch more irritating sound.

Jack

I agree with Jack about the 17 rem. ,to my ears it is very loud and yes somehow irritating.
A friend had one years ago ,i saw horrific damage on groundhogs and crows > 25gr rem ammo.
I see you mention fox and keeping fur ,i don't see how a 4000 fps bullet could not dishrag a fox =12 pound animal.I know all about them the bullet explodes and doesn't exit in a perfect world.I guess if you can shoot them [fox] longways things might stay intact.On coyotes the 17 would shine i'm sure.
My vote goes to the fireball all the way ,get the cz and you'll enjoy it although the remington would also be nice.
My cz 221 is my favorite calling gun ,I killed my first double [coyotes] with it two sibling males.The 50 gr v max left 50 cent size exits wound.
I've shot a praire dog in the mouth and the bullet did not exit-40 v max.Broke every bone in his body and a little blood but no visible exit.
The little fireball is very accurate ,efficient ,quiet ,with almost no recoil.My 2 cents- Mike

Well, I ordered the CZ today in .221 Fireball - I also ordered a Bushnell 3200 scope - hopefully they will have everything in stock and I should have it by next weekend. Is Remington the only manufacturer of .221 ammunition? I need to start looking for brass and some bullets and primers and a set of dies so that my brother in law can start reloading for me.

Good Choice.

The CZ in .221 Fireball is my favorite go to gun. Wacks everything it gets pointed at. Farel cats, crows, woodchucks, porkupines , and even coyotes when a real dumb-one presents itself. Low noise no recoil lite and whirlable. All pluses. I've even grown fond of the removable hang down clip.
50 gr Nosler BT's
Rem or CCI Match primers
Reloader 7
Rem Brass
RCBS Dies
(try MidwayUSA.com for supplies.)
"and your good to go".
One of the most fun guns I own.
Enjoy
JS

Beavdha.

You're going to love that little rifle!
I'm going to order a 3x9 3200 elite w/firefly reticle this week ,so that's kinda funny.
Go to cabelas ammo they sell a brand -hms w/37-42-50ish all in the calhoun double hollow point

Well the rifle and scope won't get here till next week - so as soon as I pick it up - I'll try to give you all a report on it.

Back