22 hornet Ruger/CZ or ???

sbox

I've always wanted to get a 22 Hornet and just lately decided to do it. I've heard of some accuracy problems with the Ruger M77 in the 22 hornet but have been told the CZ 527 is a tack driver...Any suggestions?

Thanks..

i myself have the ruger target grey .22 hornet with the laminate stock and am pleased with it. i shoots pretty good but i would lean towards the cz because of the trigger, i have that gun in .204

I have the ruger 77/22 and am somewhat disappointed in it. I have glass bedded the action, floated the barrel, and lightened the trigger to a very crisp 2.5 lbs. With the right hand load I get around .75"-1" groups at 100yds. With most factory ammo I get 1.5"-2" groups at 100yds. Both are not bad so long as the shot is at a max of 100yds. I have shot a fox at a distance of up to 175yds. and have not been totally satisfied with the results. I have heard good things about the CZ and I really want to get my hands on a Savage model 40. Bottom line is that the 22 hornet is a blast to shoot, and I have one in my truck almost year round, but most rifles are not tack drivers in this caliber.

I have had the Ruger for about 7-8 years. I was not pleased with accuracy with factory ammo, getting around 2", but, with handloads and a Timney spring and sear installed, this rifle is a shooter.

My handloads use 13gr Lilgun, WW brass, a small pistol primer, under a 45gr Barnes XLC, assembled with Lee Collet dies. Velocity is around 2,900fps with this load.

It is not the 'K' hornet.

BEWARE... CZ uses a .223 diameter bore in their Hornet's... no sane manufacturer has done that in 35 years... there are only 2 or 3 bullets available in .223 diameter...

if your gun is one of those that'll not shoot a .224 bullet, you'll be relegated to reloading your own, as there is no one who loads a .223 from the factory... or else settle for sub standard accuracy... the CZ's are good rifles for the most part but this was a real step on their dick move...

unless you reload, think about another brand of rifle... the Browning Micro Midas has been a real sweet shooter from what I've seen, and I'm partial to the T/C Encores... I've had a factory 24" that shot excellent right out of the box in 22 Hornet and am now shooting a 26" K-Hornet from the custom shop... good luck with whatever you choose...

Serious, 2900 fps in a 22 Hornet?

I haven't done alot of research on velocity but thats seems alittle fast from what people have told me.

When I get it I'll have to give your load a try. Thanks..sb

No one had told me that about the .223 vs .224. So your saying that, for instance, If I get the CZ, I can't shoot factory ammo in it??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have shot them all and the CZ is the only way to go. Don't know where the .223 barrel thing is coming from. Mine will out shoot my Anschutz that cost twice as much. I have shot 6 Rugers sporter and varmint and they are shooting 1.5 to 2.0 inches with factory ammo. Ruger is not the way to go. You should not have to spend good money to fix a rifle that should shoot out of the box. The CZ's set trigger is what makes the difference. The one I have now shoots really well and the wood is awesome! Factory ammo is no problem.

I have a CZ Hornet and have shot nothing but .224 dia. bullets. I can honestly say I have yet to find a load that won't shoot under an inch for five shots. Just as it came from the factory except to adjust the trigger-which took about 10 mins. 35gr. VMax (Hornady) bullets with 13.5grs.of Lil'Gun fly 3210fps and stay close to 1/2in . for 5 shots at 100yds. The 40gr. Speer do 3060fps. and shot right at 3/4in. with 13.2grs(Lil'Gun). And the 46gr. Win. bulk bullet does 2995fps. with 13grs. of Lil'Gun and that is the least accurate bullet I've tried- right at an inch.
I use small pistol primers. In my rifle these are mild loads.

My big knock with the CZ is the high scope mounts. But that is fixable. The base of the bolt handle can be ground down to allow lower mounts. I did this and use standard low Millet rings that fit Weaver bases with a small filler block. When you put the rings on you'll see the filler block that is needed-.055 thick. I made mine. Pedro

The .224 bullets work just fine through the .223 barrels, maybe even better. As always you have to work up to max loads but the .001" larger bullets do not significantly raise pressure. Variations in chamber size will make a bigger difference in pressure.

Jack

I have heard rumors that the barrels on CZ and tikka 223 rifles were a little tighter bore. Having owned and shot both new I believed it. I liked the CZ trigger and accuracy. I didn't like the bolt throw, backwards safety, clip.

I just sold a Ruger M77 MkII UL to purchase my FOURTH CZ just yesterday afternoon! Between the Ruger and CZ there is NO comparison. You can spend more money, make more changes and spend a lot of time getting the Ruger to shoot, OR you can buy a CZ and go past GO w/ $200 that you'd spent on triggers and such for Ruger.

As the VERY respected moderators stated, THE CZ's JUST SHOOT!

My CZ hornet will shoot moa with factory ammo.I cant do any better with hand loads.But I haven't bedded the action or done anything other than adj the trigger so I can't complain.I like mine and think they are one of the better buys for the money.I must admit I am thinking of selling it and buying a mini mauser in .22 hornet.I have one in .223 and I like it a little better just because the safety is backwards on the CZ.The CZ trigger is much better than the mauser but I can work on the trigger

Great info all you guys are giving me. Thanks..

I keep finding Ruger Hornets for sale and of course none of the sellers are telling me their having problems grouping. I've shot Ruger M77 270 for years and have had great sucess with grouping oon several of my pet loads.

But for the hornet, it looks like I better go with the CZ.

Hey SlugO, why don't you sell me yours if you get the mini mauser?

Went out early this morning, just a few miles from home where I see an occassional fox by the road and tried to call one in but no luck..Graet morning though.

Hey all you guys have a nice Thanksgiving. You know we do have it pretty good here..

I have a Mini Mauser that I bought as a barreled action 16yrs. ago for $180 new. That was before Mr. Clinton put a stop to them comming into this country. It shoots ok, around an inch. I was thinking about a new mini action with a .470 boltface to build a 250/3000 until I saw and handled one. Talk about rough, I did alot of slicking up to get mine working smoothely and it seems like they've used the last 16yrs. to figure out how to make them rougher-no thanks. Pedro

Quote:
Don't know where the .223 barrel thing is coming from.

that came right from the people at CZ... was on another forum and the question came up about loads for a Hornet, fellow was talking about loading the 223 bullets... I asked why he was shooting .223's and he informed me the CZ's were bored to that diameter... said his gun didn't like the 224 dia stuff... well my cynical mind thinking he was full of it, called CZ and I was told straight out they bore their Hornet barrels to .223... since then I've talked to several fellows with them and have heard some say they weren't happy with the factory ammo performance others were happy with theirs... it all depends on the gun I'd imagine... just a heads up for possible performance problems...

Guess I will have to call the CZ guys and see what the deal is. No one makes Hornets with .223 dia barrels anymore they muct be crazy! I own and have shot seveal CZ's and they shoot ver well. The one I have now will average 1-inch or better with all six of the factory loads produced 5-shots @ 100 yds. Winchester SP's will do 1/2 inch. It likes that load but I hate it. I am like Jack, if they are .223 bore's the .224's should work better.

Quote:
No one makes Hornets with .223 dia barrels anymore they muct be crazy!

precisely what I said when I called them... dude got about 1/2 way defensive when I questioned him about it...

those results with the WW 45grSP's are about what I've found with them in a bunch of different guns... my partner shoots them when he gets behind in his loading, for head shooting fox they do a very nice job... body shots over 100 yards will not normally leave a hole out... we hunt 99% at night and with illuminated reticles or red dot scopes the eyes are a good reference point to shoot at... makes it real easy to sight on and with 1/2min of accuracy which both our Hornets are capable of it takes a long shot to be off target...

if you have time get a box of the .223 bullets and give them a try with the same load you been shooting with the .224 bullets... I sure would like to know what you find out... I got a buddy that shoots a CZ with all factory stuff and he's been asking about loading for him... I hate to get him shooting any better then he does cause he's some of our stiffest competition when it comes to the contests, but I'd like an idea as to what the best bullets will be for his rifle before I start messing with it...

Quote:
I am like Jack, if they are .223 bore's the .224's should work better.

don't know about that, but the fellow I referenced earlier went to the .223 bullets to get his gun to shoot...

everyone has different standards for what they find acceptable accuracy, but in my house if a 22 cal won't shoot under.500 there is something wrong and it needs to be fixed... this standard includes the Hornets also, that's why I'm so adament about the use of Lil-Gun in them, this keeps my K-Hornet to making no larger then cloverleaf groups at 100 yards all day, everyday so long as I do my part and the wind cooperates... makes it a 250 yard groundhog gun...

Leroy, I am with you on the accuracy part. 1/2 or better should be the rule for a .22 cal varmint/predator rifle. I have to watch how I talk about accuracy on here as hunting accuracy and my accuracy requirements are two different things. I want them to all shoot one hole if possible! Obviously that will not be done with most hunting rifles or most shooters but I want to be as close as I can get.

Back