properly skinning ears for taxidermy?

270yotekiller

I plan on mounting a couple of coyotes this year (beginner taxidermy) but was hoping i could get some help on skinning the ears properly for ear liners. any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Im going to be splitting the ears on a coyote hide here in the next couple of days. I'll try to get some pics posted. I use a small scalpul and very carefully skin the back side of the ear off of the cartlidge, leaving the cartlidge attached to the front side of the ear. Turn the ear inside out as you work.

You need to split the ears, very carefully by hand with a scalpel blade. Split them clear to the tips or at least close to the tips, you can leave the cartilage in for now,the next thing if all fleshing is done, pickle the hide,then go back and peel the cartilage out of the ear being carful not to rip the ear, you may have to cut lightly to help the cartilage pull away from skin. Do this all the way to the tips of the ears, you may make a couple of holes on the edges of the ears but that is an easy fix. Now you can tan. Hope this helped if you have anymore questions be happy to help.Cody

whew i was about to flesh the cartilage out of ears right away, good thing you mentioned that part cottonfoot. So how long do i let the hide pickle before removing the cartilage?

just to make sure i have this just right:
1.split ears
2.pickle
3.remove excess cartilage
4.tan hide

Thanks for your help guys, some day i will invest in a video, any suggestions from skinning to taxidermy?

Back