coyote hunting in nevada

wysongdog

Hey guys I am brand new to this web stuff, so bear with me, but I was wondering if anyone knew any good areas around elko,nevada. I am heading there the first weekend in Dec. for a coyote hunt and have never hunted there before. Thanks

Looks like the Nevada group is a bit tight lipped about their favorite hunting sites. Can't say I blame them, but you know the coyotes are there. Seek and Ye Shall Find!

I have never hunted the elko area. I know there are descent numbers in that area along with alot of hunters and trappers. The world calling contest is to be held in that area shortly so there will even be more hunters. Good luck to you.

My son and I just returned from Nevada east of Wendover. Left home at 3 am this morning and just got home 8pm.. Drove 518 miles, made about 10 calls and no dogs. did see one eating a dead rabbit on I-15 going up the P pass east of state line, but still too dark to shoot. Not sure if it was me or just one of those days. Did the same as I've always done and scored.

Also see a big red fox 3 miles from my house as I left home this monring..

Shunked but still had a great day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've been told by a number of NV hunters that there are NO coyotes left in the entire state, so you may as well not even try, LOL.

Seriously, I called in a pair a couple of weeks ago, within a 1/2 mi of the rest area on I-80 just west of Emigrant Pass (mile marker 256 or so), and have gotten very good responses to howling in the Carlin area.

The pair I called in are still there, LOL, I don't carry a rifle on my truck and so, on those rare occasions when I can find the time, and a suitable location I can get near with a big truck, I "reward" them with a can of cat food (cheap) so as not to make them call shy for others.

I usually have to be satisfied with just "talking" to them. They don't seem to be too eager to get close to a parking lot with big trucks driving around in it, for some strange reason.

Leon

There should be good population anywhere around Elko. Everyone is tight-lipped due to World Hunt coming up.

I'd suggest checking out the sage flats north of Elko, East of Hwy 51.

Tony

And if you wanna scare the coyotes around Elko, just turn on the rabbit in distress call and watch them run AWAY. I have seen this happenned. They get blasted a lot around Elko.

Hummm, I've been hunting all over northern Nevada for years. For the most part it's been all shot up because Nevada WAS a great place to hunt coyotes years back.

The word has got out, plus the World hunt and a million new predator hunters.

You can still find places to collect a few coyotes on public land, but it's not as easy as in years past.

If you hunt the Elko area, you may want to try the road between Tuscarora, Midas and Golconda or Jiggs to Eureka. Should be able to find a couple stupid coyotes in those areas, Good luck

It has been a few years since I have been back to Nevada. I lived in Reno and worked all over the state for around 10 years. I didn't do much coyote hunting then but I used to see a lot of coyotes around the Wildhorse and Jarbidge area. Shot a few when the opertunity presented itself. Never did any calling though. I know there are still quite a few around the Round Mountain area but it's quite a drive from Elko.

not quite to reno but the ruby mountains have allways produced, a big aarea but you should find some there,
i know there are some coyotes in northern nevada though, i know a guy who kills between 175 and 200 a year there every year,
good luck

There ain't no stinking coyotes in Nevada.These guys are just pulling your leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:
Back