best caliber for fox and coyote

bulldogto

just getting into predator hunting. The area I hunt has alot of foxes as well as coyotes. Average shot is 100 yards or less. Wondering which caliber will work well on both, but not make a mess of the hides on the foxes. Looking at .223 or the .204 Ruger. i will be shooting factory ammo.

Welcome to the board!!

.17 Remington but if you shoot factory ammo you are screwed as Rem factory .17 ammo is awful! I am not talking about the .17 HMR either. .17 cal Centerfire

I would recommend the 223 Rem.

Ammo is real cheap and it will be more than any fox or coyote can handle if you do your part!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 204 is a new calibre and you might have trouble finding ammo in a store other than a gun shop. I also heard that brass for the 204 is very scarce. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

at the distances you're talking about a 22 Hornet is the ideal cartridge... no recoil, excellent results with 45gr WW SP's and little noise to disturb the neighbors... it'll work well to 200 yards for fox and to 150 for coyote...

.204 or .223?

That's a realy tough question - and a tough decision! I'd have to go with the .223. (And I did!) To me, the advantage of the .223 is readily available, inexpensive ammo in many configurations.

You will really enjoy whichever one you chose!

me!

I think leroy said it all, the .22 hornet would be ideal for you.
The CZ 527 in .22 Hornet are fantastic value for money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Aw Heck just get'em done with a 7mm rem mag. hahaha

All joking aside, the 17 rem is a sweet deal for little critters. but the .223 has got so many perks that it is tuff to beat.

I jumped on here last year and asked that same question. I do ALOT ALOT ALOT of fox trapping and hunting. I ended up buying a Tika T3 .223 and I love the gun. BUT NOT FOR FOX. I have shot MANY fox with this gun and only been able to salvage a few pelts. If you are looking to get them tanned eventually you will be very dissapointed with the damage that the .223 does to them.

I have tried using all different factory rounds and everything rips them apart. I am currently looking at trying to download the round to make it substantially slower. This I have heard works.

If I were to do it all over again, and I am going to this xmas, I would buy a .22 mag or hornet if all you are hunting is fox. If you are hunting other dogs also then you may want to go with a .17 remington.

If you buy the .223 you will DESTROY the pelts of fox.

just my .02

Welcome HornHunter and Striker.

The problem with the Hornet is accuracy from factory loads. It is a finicky cuss even with reloads. I have a CZ and an Anschutz that shoots a couple of factory loads around an inch or under.

.222 rem,

Just dont hit the little buggers in the sholder.

I use a Winchester Bulk 50g SP over 23.5g of h-335. Works great for me.

I have tore up one, but that was my fault. This load should also be effective for yotes, if I ever get the chance to teszt it.

Back