Welding machines

burris

I did not know exactly where to make this post but I figured that here was as good as any since it seems that we have quite a few welders that check the night hunting section because of all the postiive feedback on "killing chairs". I am in the market for a welding machine to be used to fabricate high racks or killing chairs and several other projects that I have in mind. I have been told that I should go with a wire fed type of welder and that the Hobart brand is a good one that can be found at the Tractor Supply near me. I have very little experience welding and I am sure it will take me some time to get it down. I dont need one with a generator just one that can be pluged into say a 220 outlet like your clothes drier plugs into, because I will do all the work in my garage. Can someone point me into the right direction on what to look for or what I might need? I want the cost to be kept under around $700.00. If there is any other info. that I can provide just let me know, like I said I am new to this but ya got to start somewhere. Thanks for any feedback. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back in the 1960's, I made my living as a welder and that was a long time ago. If you are welding new metal with little or no rust coating, the wire feed welders are the way to go. They won't strike an arc through a painted surface, or a surface with much rust coating. They sure do a fine job of welding, and in my experience they are easier to learn than the old "stick" welder that I have in my garage now. Be aware that your new "mig" welder will need a tank of Argon/c02 mixture, so keep that in mind when pricing your welding machine. Here is a link to some Hobart welders http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/mig/

Burris, I assume you are going to be welding light weight tubing? I would recommend a 110 mig machine. I would also recommend a gas shielded setup. It is my advise to stay away from Atwood etc. chain store suppliers. I get asked about these machines on a regular basis, and I have some horror stories about service. There is nothing wrong with the Hobarts, I personally prefer and use all Miller welders, but like any equipment purchase, dealer service is worth alot. I would hunt up a welding supply store in your area and go in and shop around. When you have decided on what you want, shop around for best price. Alot of these places will have used machines for sale, or used machines coming from a high school shop or votech.
I had a new Miller catalog here, but can't seem to find it. There is an online store called 'welders direct' that is a good sourse to help you with prices. If I can help further,let me know. CrossJ

Have you thought about renting one? I know Nations Rent has 'em (if you have those in your area). Depending on how much welding you do it might be a better option! I have a seven hundred dollar Lincoln wire feed welder that sits in my garage collecting dust most of the time.. I drag it out about once a year. Don't get me started on how often I use my generator! Admittedly I needed all the stuff I have at one time since I had a side biz repairing steel fencing, but now I might rather have the space back in the garage!

BTW-my welder is a 110 unit and does quite well on anything I've ever used it for (up to 1/4"). You might be able to get by with one of the Home Depot or Lowe's specials for deer stands and killin' chairs, which should make your expense a little less!

I weld everyday at work,

I also would suggest a 110 volt welder, if your using it for small tubing 1/4 to 1" the 110v welders dont provide to much heat for Blow-outs when welding (thin) tubing and works best with-out any speical hook-ups........

I own a rechargable wire feed unit 24 volt it will weld stainless and steel fluxed wire....charges in 3 hours and will last through 25feet of a 3/8"s bead........wont due Alum. thats a gas only for Mig-wire feed, you can use a Buzz-box and use Alum. welding rods though, it takes a knack to use them........

Home depo,lowes,Ace Hardware and HarborFreighttools.com also have 110 volt welders, we use Millers at work for 1/4 to 1' roll bar mild steel and stainless........

Also while your there get a Automatic welding sheild Helmet,with adjustable settings from #3 for Brazing to 12 for heavy welding.... battery or solar saves your arm when welding and cramps when welding.......Low cost around $40.00 depending where you are and what you want........

From a Welders point of view I like rod welding, it take a while to learn and due correctly, it a solid (hold) weld, though the Mig-feed wire make a Great Looking weld and also holds good to...........

Good luck with what ever you do.........

Rick@tufflights.com

Hi Rich Cronk,

Being a retired welder, I wonderd while were on this subject in your Opinion, due you think the rod way is stronger weld, than the mig??

I know the Mig is pretter and less slag to clean, but if your life depended on your weld what would you use??

Thanks..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.......Rick

there are only 3 kinds of welders Lincoln and hobart/miller (they are the same company now). You cant go wrong with any of these brands. Personally I have used all three in both stick and mig and like em all. I prefer the millers though.

The only neg. thing about the 110 wire feeds are thier lower duty cycles. But if your only welding a 3/4"-1 1/2" long bead at a time then turnin' they'll work great. RR

I found this thread while on break from building a firewood rack. I am not a welder by trade. I do my own stuff, and some for friends. all good advice has been given. I would stress to use a welding supply store. For the hobby welder, there is a lot of advice to be gotten there. I have a Lincoln Ac/DC buzz box. It is my go to machine when welding Rusted pipe from the oilfields. I have a Miller 175 wire welder using argon mix for the new stuff. While you are buying, figure in a metal chop saw with the abrasive wheel. when working with square tubing, it is the way to go. I cut all my pieces before I fire up the welding machine. No slag from the torch and all the cuts are square. If you buy from a welding supply store, they will most likely have demo classes from time to time. Ours does. They can help a lot in getting you started. I learned back in High School. We had a shop class that taught welding.

What about Century? I think they sell a respectable MIG. Or is that the same as Lincoln?

Yes duty cycle is absolutely important. Nothing less than 60%!

Several years ago a brand new MIG walked off from work. Last month some pin-head with money to spend bought a new one. I say pin-head because he bought the cheapest Miller he could find, 20% duty cycle/ 110 volt. Then, this pin head has a cabinet welded around the MIG on the bench.

The second problem with a 110 volt welder is it fits nicely in anyone's garage. A 208 volt three phase would be much less tempting.

Now this new welder is secure, but it can't get any ventilation. That 20% is now down to 10% or 5%. If it is not stolen, it will probably over heat and burn out within a year.

If 110 MIG's only come in 20% duty cycles, go 220 volt. They are fun to weld with. Up, down, left, right, push, or pull it all welds the same. A 220 volt welds light tubing just as well as a 110 welder.

My dad bought a 220 volt Power Mate (Century) several years ago from a 5-Star traveling salesman for the farm. He hates it. I love it. He loves running a big wide bead and "burn it in the metal". You can't run as hot of a bead with a MIG than the old stick. He also loves to buy surplus metal because it is cheap, (and rusty). THis is another problem with a MIG.

RickH2,
When I was welding for a living, we were building Fruehauf tanks for gasoline transport, cement transport and etc. I welded both steel and aluminum with wire feed welders. Also used heli-arc for some of the aluminum welding. The old buzz box and stick was used a lot on the steel tanks. The wire feed welder for steel was called "short arc", and the ones for aluminum were called "sigma". Now they are called Mig, Sig or TIG. I think with today's wire feed welders, a man could make just as strong of a weld with a wire feed rig as he could with stick welder. The upside is that the wire feed rigs are easier to master. It is also easier to make down pass and overhead welds with the wire feed rigs.

I have welded my entire life, and still do a lot. I've used almost every kind of machine they make, and most of the above posts are right.
If I had to have only one machine it would be a dial arc 250 Miller. It will run LoHi, all ac and dc rods and has a range that will weld paper thin stuff to 1 inch stuff or bigger. I build all my own grill guards, headaches, and rear bumpers, repair tractors,build chairs,furniture, as well as a LOT of other stuff. Stick welders are more versatile and you don't have to mess with any gasses.

Hey Watson,
Why would you want to build a head ache? I have plenty of those dang things without trying to BUILD one. Now that was a funny joke right there, a real funny joke. If you can't laugh at that one you better get on outa here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have welded with a number of different machines stick & wire. Now have an older miller buzz box that is a bullet proof welding machine. Also purchased a century wire welder several years ago because it was a cost deal. What a pile of junk. I returned it when a new model came out. Even though I bought at cost they gave me a new one and money back. It works pretty good and have even welded some stainless with it. I should have bought the miller like a friend did. Also I have seen some of the nicest looking wire welds that fall apart. My guess is a film of oil.

Stay away from flux core wire if you buy a wire machine. Spend the little extra money and get the gas hook up. Or like mentioned above get a stick and be done with it. IMHO

Last edited:
Price is important, and I can respect that. You only have or want to spend so much, but I think the Miller 210 is a better option.

60% duty cycle! The way I understand it, at a certain amp rating you can only weld 6 out of 10 minutes.

The ones you are looking at all have a 30% duty cycle.

Randy Watson does make a good point. There is nothing wrong with a stick welder. I've found the real secret to make anyone look like a pro is a good rod. There are a lot of "designer rods" out there. These rod cost more than the basic 6011 but are whole lot easier to use.

BTW, I hate the E6010. It is the most unforgiving rod I have ever seen. Any slight twitch and the bead showes.

Burris, I am not sure of your applications still. Did you check with a local welding supply? Find out what brands they sell, because when you need a new liner or tips or gas cup, etc., you will be money ahead to have a good dealer. That said, I prefer Miller. All my machines are Miller, I have been completely satisfied with the performance and service. That is just my opinion, but why mess with something that aint broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Back