Illegal coyote hunting in Washington?

greg223

This is a question for you Washington guys. My son tells me (he is in Washington) that you cannot legally hunt coyotes unless you have a deer tag and you cannot use a .224 caliber rifle. If you have an archery license, you cannot hunt coyotes at all, even if you are not carrying a bow, because you cannot carry a rifle. He also tells me that it is illegal to carry a firearm in the woods unless you have a hunting license. So, what if you are hiking and want to pack you pet pea shooter? Are all these things true /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif?

He needs to get the game regs and read more closely. You can hunt coyotes with a large or small game license. You can hunt them year around. No limit. You can hunt them at night with a light. You can not hunt them with a light during any open modern firearm deer or elk season. You can not hunt them from a vehicle.There is no caliber specified for huntinbg coyotes. The .24 caliber rule only applies to the specified large game. (deer on up)As far as carrying a firearm in the woods, if your going to shoot any kind of animal wouldn't you have the proper licenses on your person anyway. If your in the woods plinking, I doubt that anyone is going to hassle you unless your doing something you shouldn't or unsafe.

A small game license is required for all small game except forest grouse and coyotes
which can be hunted if the hunter has a big game or small game license
Bag Limit Season Dates Notes/Exceptions
Bobcat none Statewide: Sept. 6, 2005 - Mar. 15, 2006
Coyote none Statewide, open year round CLOSED from Sept. 15 - Nov. 30 in the Pasayten
If hounds are used, season is: Wilderness, GMUs 426,450 and those portions of
Sept. 6, 2005 - Mar. 15, 2006 GMUs 218, 245, and 448 within external boundaries
(Except year round with hounds in Adams, of the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie, Okanogan, and
Benton, Franklin, & Grant counties) Wenatchee National Forests.
Fox none Statewide: Sept. 6, 2005 - Mar. 15, 2006 CLOSED within the exterior boundaries of the
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie, Okanogan, Wenatchee,
and Gifford Pinchot National Forests and
GMUs 407 and 410.

Crow none Statewide: Oct. 1, 2005 - Jan. 31, 2006 Crows in the act of depredation

Night Hunting and Hound Hunting During Deer and Elk Hunting Seasons
Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and raccoon seasons, EXCEPT that:
It is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night or wild animals with dogs (hounds) during the months of September, October, or November in any area
open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season.
The use of hounds to hunt black bear, cougar or bobcat is prohibited year round except during commission authorized hunts. There is no longer
a hound license.

Okay Greg, let's see here.

It's legal to hunt coyotes in Wa. State if you have a valid hunting license.

It's legal to hunt coyotes using a centerfire cartridge of .224 or less during deer and elk seasons without the need of a big game tag, however, you must wear hunter orange during modern firearm deer and elk seasons.

It's legal to hunt coyotes during deer and elk modern firearm seasons with centerfire cartridge 6mm or larger or containing slugs or buckshot for big game IF you have a (any) large game tag in your possession. That means any tag for deer, elk, bear or cougar must be on your person during the time of hunt.

During archery season, you may only hunt big game with a bow that is legal to use during archery season, no cross bows and some other BS things they decided to include. A person SHALL NOT carry any type of firearm or have a firearm in or on your person while achery hunting deer or elk. My guess is they have superceded the 2nd amendment right to carry a concealed handgun during archery season if you are in the act of hunting with a bow even if you are a licensed concealed carry permit holder. Don't shoot a deer or elk with a bow then go finish it off with a handgun, that is a big no no.

During modern firearm season you may hunt with firearm, bow or muzzle loader providing you have the modern firearm tag for that big game species.

The State of Washington allows the open carry of any legal firearm upon any legal person that has not been convicted of a felony crime or convicted of any domestic violence laws causing or making that person unlawful to carry such firearm. And there is a few other things in there somewhere that one should read up on if they have any doubts as to their being a legal and lawful citizen. A legal citizen may carry a firearm into the wilderness, woods, bushes out back and a few other places as long as there is no intent to intimidate or threaten another party or property with the lawful act of carrying such a piece. So get a big gun and wear it proudly. Just don't make someone else feel uncomfortable around you, in other words don't go into Seattle with a 44 mag strapped on yer hip and saying things like....GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY

Carrying a concealed pistol upon your person requires the person to hold a valid Washington State concealed pistol permit.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/hunter/huntregs2005.pdf

It can be confusing with the regulations changing. Yes you do need a hunting license large or small game. The regs state "You may not hunt wildlife during modern firearm deer or elk season, with any firearm 24 caliber or larger or containing slugs or buckshot for big game, unless you have a valid license, permit and tag for one of the following: deer, elk, black bear, cougar, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, or moose. During any modern firearm deer or elk season, it is illegal to hunt any wildlife after legal hunting hours" So if you don't have a valid unfilled tag you need to use a gun smaller than 24 caliber. If you have an archery "tag" it is illegal to have a firearm in an archery area during the archery season. The regs state "(c) It is illegal to carry or have in possesion any firearm while in the field archery hunting, during the archery season specified for that area." "Handguns must have minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturers specifications, and fire a minimum 24 caliber centerfire cartridge." So if it is under that you can carry it in the open, or if you have concealed weapons permit you can conceal it. Hope this helps. There are also hunter orange requirements that are alot of typing but in general if it is modern firearm deer, elk, upland bird, rabbit, 400 square inches are required.

FALFire,
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think it was as bad as he thought it was. If that was the case, the coyotes would be winning the battle. Come to think of it, I think maybe they are anyway.

I remembered you and the Mrs. today for your traveling. God bless and keep you two safe.

Greg

I was typing(pecking) and talking to my wife when there were several good replies already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I knew I'd get alot of help from you guys! Thank you!!!!

Sure do appreciate this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Just a tidbit of info. "A person SHALL NOT carry any type of firearm or have a firearm in or on your person while achery hunting deer or elk." For I don't know how many years the Ore. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife has been refusing to allow hunters to carry a sidearm while archery hunting. Last year the Oregon courts changed all that by ruling the ODFW doesn not have the authority on the matter.

Greg, thanks, much appreciated for sure.

doggitter.....Last year the Oregon courts changed all that by ruling the ODFW doesn not have the authority on the matter.

I am very happy to hear they stood up and put the game dept. in it's place. So far I think the Game dept in Wa. State is still denying even CWP hoders the right to carry in the woods during archery seasons. That to me is a violation of the 2nd.

There has been talk about use of sidearms here. I am not going to test it myself. I know of two that have been caught. Game violations are very hard to beat here and get expensive quick. Will be happy to cheer someone on though.

I can definitely see the ODFW's stance on the issue but they went too far, as it seems Washington may have. If I want to carry or hunt with a second weapon that is more difficult to take game with than the season's intended weapon, what in the heck is the reason why not? It's not like I or any number of other hunters will be altering the buck/doe ratio significantly or some silly thing. Archery may be another matter but personal safety should override that arguement.

I'm not really sure what their stance is on this issue but I really don't think I would want to be a test pig the way the courts are in Wa.

Not sure if they were thinking that maybe an inexperienced or desperate bow hunter would take the shot with a 44 mag to bag that one big buck just out of reach of the arrow. I do know the chances of coming upon a meth lab in the woods is far greater these days than it was 15 years ago. Walking into trouble with a sharp stick is not a good thing.

Several guys ask me why I carry and hunt with an AR15, well an AR15 is a little more useful than a single shot bolt gun if the meth heads get stupid. Washington State has an enormous problem with meth cooking going on in the woods. The northeast part of the state is over run with meth labs and there is very few LEO with very little support and a bunch of ground to cover. The forests are thick with lots of little spur roads going everywhere, lot's of places for meth cookers to setup camp for a few days. Maybe the State Game dept should reconsider the potential threat that exists these days for the average Joe hunter.

Yes, FALFire is right. I have several good friends that are working in various areas of law enforcement and they have a huge job in front of them. Makes me sick at what they have to deal with. These idiots out making whatever in the woods are dangerous to them and you and I. I personally think they should be dealt with much more severly. Its not just Washington that has that problem.

Well, I LIVE in the NorthEast Corner of Washington State, and hate to tell you guys, but I've hunted here for years and yet to find a meth lab in the woods. The meth lab problems exist in homes in the bad part of cities, or on private property. On private property they can put up signs that say "NO TRESPASSING", or KEEP OUT. On State, Federal, or Public Land, they can't keep anybody out. I also have several friends who work in the LE field, and I shoot with/against them when I have the time, and money. Law Officers know where they are hunting, and if they find a problem, they can ALWAYS call for help!

Hope this helps!

FALFire-You ever shoot at Paul Bunyan?

Quote:
FALFire-You ever shoot at Paul Bunyan?

Only one time, a few years ago during big game sight in days. Funny thing too, is the Paul Bunyan is just down the street from me about 3 miles.

I have been traveling to the NE part of the state for about 5 years looking for properties. I was up in Newport looking at properties again during January and Feburary this year, the realtor I was with was rather nervous that day. Come to find out she had started an investigation on meth cookers near her home, it was her son's girlfriends parents that was doing the cooking. I was over hearing the conversation between the realtor and the Detective regarding the warrant service and arrests made.

I was told by numerous people around Diamaond lake, Newport, Chattaroy, Elk, Cusic, Loon Lake, just about anywhere I went and talked to people about property, they told me of all the problems they had been experiencing in the past few years with meth related crimes. They would begin talking to me about it once they learned I have been in Law Enforcement for several years. While I was there one week looking a properties, WSP and the Sheriff Dept. had raided a small automotive business around Loon Lake. It was suspected of being a chop shop and fencing stolen properties. Per capita Spokane has more viloent crime than just about anywhere else in the state of Washington. The LEO's are overwhelmed by the problems. It's really a shame too, that part of the state is gorgeous. I ended up buying a place out near St. John.

I suspect these " LIVE in the NorthEast Corner" are the key words to that comment. I may be way off base but my perception of the situation is that the vast majority of this type of problem exists in the thick growth of west of the Cascades. I'm sure that's the way it is here. I've only heard of one major bust east of the Cascades here whereas there's news of several a year west. ???

Yes, you are very correct, sad enough to say. But as we both know, the problem here is on private property and I would say the percentage of unemployment having quite a bit to do with it. Newport is quite a ways from the Loon Lake, Chewelah area. Its over by the Idaho border off Highway 2. I live on the Northern Edge of Loon Lake. As you say that the LE community is overwhelmed-yes, but they devote only ONE Officer to the drug problem in this are of Stevens Co. Can you believe that? And another one to incest! LOL Scary huh? They feel the incest problem is as bad as the drug problem I guess.

The drug raid/chop shop that you speak of was actualy much closer to Springdale than it was to Loon Lake, but only a few locals would know the exact location of it. Of cource haveing a Native American "Res" in proximity to it might have something to do with that??? can't say...

As to Public Land, I would say that I may be one of the few that has hunted quite a large sum of public land in this area, and know much of it well. From Newport to Northport, Gypsy Meadows to Abercrombie Mtn. I also get permission from several property owners allowing me to hunt their land for 'yotes. If you are looking for "problems" from weirdos in the woods, check out the area just south of Springdale, bordering the Res. take that black rifle along with plenty of ammo. Canibus seems to be the "crop" of choice in that area, at least when I was a kid. I don't imagine that its gotten any better since.

FALFire-send me an e-mail if you are interested in shooting long range, I may have some ideas.

littletoze@msn.com

This is a wide spread problem including central WA. Weve had meth activity right in town and in remote areas some being on private land near forest. There are also many finds of pot patches on the reservation, game land, forest. One remote area that I owned forested land was inhabited by a rough crowd. Even the police and game department were hesitant to go in for arrests.

The main reason you here of the amount of drug arrests here on the westside is the fact we have a much larger number of LEO dedicated to working at that level. Even then the big busts are few and far between due to the complex nature of the beast. The fact that we are actively contacting mutants on the street every day and find a little this or that on them. They will turn a dime on their supplier pronto. Sometimes that leads to bigger and better things, sometimes not.

It's easy for the unemployed laborer to set at home in an old barn on 50 acres and cook meth or grow pot. They would likely never see anyone snooping around their place for fear of getting killed.

Around here the problem has been the mobility of the cookers. They simply use an old RV to drive around in and cook up their goods at their leasure.

Oh well back to hunting, drugs make me dizzy.

Littletoes.......what ya got in mind?? Lord I hope it's not pickin' off meth heads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh.....You are right about Springdale, went up there and looked at a couple places, pretty nice too, but the junk yards next door really turned me off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LOL! No, no picking off anyone except targets. I should mention too anyone that is interested is welcome, its just a bit more convenient for those that live on the west coast! I have a favorite site called West Coast Tactical. It is a group of guys who get together for shooting matches. Several are LE and Military Snipers. If for nothing else, its another board with a bunch of guys who like to shoot, load, hunt varmints, and occasionaly compete against each other and all comers. Its a blast, and this board is known for being very corgial to one another, check it out if interested= www.westcoasttactical.com

Back