NYS Coyote Hunters

Well freebm...

Maybe like the meteorologist's....I got lucky on calling that one...

Hayzer & all...

Recapping this weekend will be easy, it's long, but you asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif....so here goes......
Wayne was right, it sucked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif!

Not totally, but for the most part.....and it wasn't based on the weather alone either.
On Sat. morning, weather was rainy and useless for hunting. My partner Dennis and I opted to head to Gander Mtn. to pick up some odd's & ends. We headed back to the north end of our county to catch the afternoon hunt as the rain had turned to snow. Getting down into a gully to hunt the last couple of hours resulted in no takers. Lots of sign, but based on the stormy weather they weren't coming out.
Sunday morning was a little better with partial clearing, but the wind and the temp's were against us...still nothing. We headed up north of us about 25 miles or so to sit a swampy bog area where a lot of fox and a few coyotes hang out. After making a 2hr. setup there and seeing nothing, we headed back south towards Carlton Hill State Lands.
On the way back, astonshingly, we spotted the most beautiful male coyote standing (very majestically /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif) on a hillside 150yds. off the road, surveying the land. He apparently knew where he wanted to go and was checking things out. I pulled my truck over to the shoulder about 100yds. past a blind spot, grabbed my .223, tossed in a round and scrambled for the corner where we saw him. By the time I got back to that spot, he apparently heard the truck stop on the crunchy ice, and instead of coming down the opposite side of the hill he was on, he headed straight down the crest of the hill and took an alternate route to the hedgerow he wanted to cross. Talk about smart !

I could easily see he had moved from the hilltop, so I ran down the blind side of the hill to about the area that he was when we spotted him. By the time I got to the crest of the hill, he was already across the hedge and at least 250-300yds from me. He wasn't running, but trotted. He followed the gullies and rolls in the field and I never got a chance for a clean shot at him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Calling never made a difference on him.

Although stumped, I was reinvigorated from that point on for the rest of the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.
Wanting to get permission and stay there, we had already made plans to hunt elsewhere, so we stuck with the original plan.
Heading back to Carlton Hill, we got setup and started calling only to get blown out by bird hunter's and their dogs. Frustrated, but understanding, we pulled up stakes and headed elsewhere on the same state land. Calling hard, we still got no takers...wind was terrible & cold.

The day ended with us in the same gully we were in the day prior, and no takers. Good spot for fox, but oddly, no responses.
Being public lands as well, my partner and I, trying a different approach, setup in sperate areas about 400yds. apart. His spot was fine, but where I was located on a high ridge above a beautiful gully, (very good visibility and layout) has a path that runs through it. And, sure enough, some idiot (with his wife) picks this particular day (freezing & crappy) to go on a nature hike with his wife. Not only does he walk in talking at the top of his lungs, making all kinds of racket, he see's me and waves. I did a half assed wave back, and after he knew I was [beeep], he shrugged and said sorry....kind of like an "oh well".
Well not only did he screw me up once, and instead of going out a different way, at just about the perfect time for game, he and his wife coming tromping back through talking at the top of his lungs AGAIN....I got up and stomped out of there smokin' mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif.
I grabbed Dennis (partner) and called it a day.

We hunted private property yesterday (MLK day) and it started out very cold (8 degrees) with a slight wind that made it feel much worse. Very clear though....but the area is good for fox, and now, apparently coyotes. We found coyote sign of a big male and smaller female coming into the area, so things looked promising. Nothing in the morning.....making several sets in and around 5 miles of that area, and although calling nothing, we did see other area's where coyotes were showing up more.
We returned to the same location for the evening and still got no takers.
We paid our dues for the weekend, but got bupkiss.....but that's hunting and we understand it.....love it anyway.

Wayne...........good goin....I don't think that coyote is educated just yet...just try a different call next time,or blow the one you used differently, just not the same way. They'll get wise to that quick...especially if they see, or wind you.
Next time, try a decoy.......a lifelike stuffed toy, or a patch of raggedy "mo-hair" material on a stake & a spring with some fishing line to move it, works very, very well.

Glad you're pumped.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hope someone connected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif....these NY coyotes are tuff critters. Very, very smart.....very much different than the other varieties.

Take care,
Bob

Okay Guys bear with me........

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later, at least that's what I'd been telling myself.
I left work a little early trying to get out before the forecated storm. Came home jumped into my camo and headed 1 1/2 miles up the road to a spot that I really expected to see fox. When I was walking in I was pleasantly suprised to see an abundance of coyote tracks that weren't there the other day. At my first stand I drew a blank. It was getting dark but I decided to try another location before calling it quits. I headed cross wind about 500 yards and set up with the wind hitting me square in the face (at about 20 mph) and a hedgerow at my back. I was looking over a 2 acre pond with a lot of overgrown brush and plenty of tracks all over. I set the caller about 50 yards down on the pond berm and settled in. I figure I had about 5 minutes to call. I gave it the female invitation howl then went right to a challenge howl. I then waited 30 seconds and hit the coyote distress for about 30-45 seconds. Before I knew it I could barely see. Then all of a sudden there they were. Three of them coming in at a fast trot. I could hardly see through the scope. As soon as the lead (biggest) one hit the open spot just past the caller, I sent a triple duece pill his way. Down he went. What a rush!!!! First coyote I've ever called in. Hopefully the huntings Gods will smile upon me again before too long.

If it wasn't for the info I've been getting on the boards I'd still be trophyless.

Good Hunting,

Perri

th_CoyoteJanuary17th0515.jpg

th_CoyoteJanuary17th0513.jpg

th_CoyoteJanuary17th05.jpg

Nice going freebm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

How much did he weigh?

We're still workin at it. Got busted on a new spot Sat. AM.
Every stand is a lesson for us, we'll get the kinks worked out soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rick

Last edited:
freebm,

Looks like you made a good choice by going home early yesterday. Very nice coyote. The first one is always great and really gets you pumped and hooked. We should get together some time, I don't know how much area you have over by you, but there are tons of spots over my way.

DOD

Damn good man...........nice fat hog!....er, dog....lol.

Love it when a plan comes together.
Learning to outsmart an animal that is as keenly attuned to it's environment as the coyote is such a rush.

We've made adjustments on our end as well; i.e.; getting in more quietly, setting up facing the wind, or crosswind, using the call more sparingly, and hand picking the calls that we use, etc.

I've always liked the verse from the Steven Segal movie "Dark Territory" where the bad guy says, "Chance favors the prepared mind".......
My buddy laughs and says, "naw.....I'd rather be lucky than good".....maybe a little bit of both might help.

Good goin.....be greedy and get more.....

Bob

Thanks Guys,

Now for some details, especially for newbies like me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I made 14 stands (9 hunts) before getting this coyote I'm pretty sure I got busted on one stand because there were coyote tracks on top of mine when I walked out. I hunted 8 diffent pieces of property and usually only hunted for an hour or so. Limited my calling to 30 +_ minutes on a stand. Also tried to keep the wind quartering or in my face. And placed the caller close to cover or actually in the woods when sign was there. Went out in any kind of weather. Probably wasted some time but was of good scounting value.

218, didn't weigh him but I'd guess he was 35 - 40 lbs.

DOD, there is plenty of land in this area. I think you have more "rolling" hills over there. Maybe we could hook up and you could show me a few tricks.

Well, it's pouring out now, but if the temp drops and it slacks up, I'll be trying to make it happen again tonight.

Sh*t, this is worse than a crack addiction . LOL

Good Hunting,

Perri

freebm,
that is a very nice coyote. by the sounds of it, you have a bunch of them runnin' around there. that is awesome. i'm still workin' on callin' my first in. one of these days when i least expect it, i guess?

goose....

My partner and I are in the same boat.
We've seen some promising sign lately, but the infrequency of being able to call our coyotes in makes us look bad.

I realize that our populations aren't as large as the one's out west, but not only are our yotes bigger in size, their also better fed and aren't as readily willing to respond to a call the same either.
Just for S's & Giggles, (and not trying to start a war) I'd love to have some of the guys from out west come up here and hunt them for a while. Not that I'm trying to say that you have to be some "super hunter" to get one of our coyotes, it's just that a realization of how hard they are to hunt could be understood.

I know the lack of success makes you question your ability (at first anyway) at being able to call them in. You keep blaming yourself, or your calling, at first....you know, something you're doing wrong. That is until you get your first yote. After that, if you have another dry spell, you feel maybe that the first one was a fluke.....not so. Honestly, I haven't gotten a kill in the last two years. I played part in getting them by calling them in, but I wasn't the shooter on the last two. I need some "trigger time" on one....really.

So far, I've been getting better responses from my old mouth blown calls instead of the electronic one's, but I'm trying several different recorded calls and weeding out the one's that don't seem to get them fired up. I really try to put a lot into my mouth calls and they really get the fox fired up, as well as hawks, crows and the bunch...it's funny to watch. Coyotes don't seem to respond anywhere near what the fox do.
Fox are mainly what we've had to work with, but the coyote's mating season is just starting up and we've seen a couple out scouting for mates, so things are starting to look promising.

The last big male we spotted (this last weekend) was huge...he was mid 50's or higher easy...probably more.
We spotted him standing on a ridge off the road about 150yds., while on the way home from a setup spot. Couldn't get setup on him fast enough and calling did nothing. He was on "a mission", probably for a mate.

Usually, if we nail 2 or 3 in a season, we're happy. Fox take up the slack. Some of the guys running dogs get 30-40 in a season, but I enjoy calling them far better, even if skunked.

Keep up the good work,
Bob

Handgnr,

Could you give some of us new guys an idea of the series (type) of coyote vocalization and duration of the calls you have found to be successful during the breeding season?

On that coyote I called, I tried to reason that MAYBE if the dominant male heard a female invite, then a non-resident male within his territory he MAY respond. Sort of like someone coming into my house and flirting with my woman. (although I may let her go so I can have more hunting time ...LOL) Actually got the idea while reading about howling.

Thanks

freebm,

Even though I've been at our coyotes for the last several years (maybe 8), I still consider myself new as well.
Always learning, and I enjoy it that way.

Not that it's something new to anyone, but I considered using some type of female "in heat" call while the mating season was just starting. Most downloadable calls are generic in nature, and are not catagorized as such.
Considering that a female would have a higher pitched howl (more or less) than a male, I researched locator calls of a higher pitch, or changed them myself through modification software.
When the mating season starts, coyote males at least, seem to have "blinder's on" when it comes to being called in. When I've seen them at those times, they seem almost mesmerized and enroute to a special place, with no chance of distraction. Almost like bucks act during the rut.

For the most part, rabbit distress calls seem useless. Oh yeah, you'll have the half starved one, or two, come running in maybe, but for the most part, they don't respond. If any do respond, they almost seem "lacklustered" about it. In other words, the "take it, or leave it" attitude.

When playing with a cheap howler I bought, it's range was kind of high, and while at a buddy's house (no hunting near village limits) I decided to rip off a few bark/howls. Like I said they were "high pitched" and sounded female-ish. Well, this was around the same time last year and I got immediate low pitched bark & howl returns. After about 5 mins, we both saw a large coyote heading across the far field about 400yds away, enroute to our location.
After one more shot on the howler, he reponded with one short bark, and was still heading in. He reached a diversion ditch about 150yds. behind the houses and sat there.
After about 20 mins., and a few barks & short howls (with no apparent response) he continued on.
When I did it, I blew one or two short barks on the call, then I ran up a sharp, but short howl, killing the howl when it reached the top (high) pitch.

Early in the season, I use rabbit & woodpecker distress calls, but about this time, I switch over to some type of female coyote locator response. I'll still start with a distress call, very lightly, but within 20mins after stopping, and no apparent response, I'll start in with the coyote call. When using mouth blown calls, or electronic callers, I like the "less is more" rule of thumb. Meaning less calling cycles, and less volume.
Sounds carry a very long ways on calm days, and on windy days I crank it up a bit more. I'll call for several seconds, maybe 15 or 20, then I'll shut it off for 5 mins or so. Then, if nothing, I'll start it up again. I'll usually run this sequence three, maybe four times at the most. If still nothing, I'll sit quietly for about 30 mins, and try something different. Either another distress call, or a relative coyote call.
I try to give each new area at least an hour, or more. Well scouted areas where sign is very good, maybe a little longer.
Moving 500yds, and calling again isn't beyond reason in some spots where the woods, or hills will cut your sound down either. Most of the time on level ground the sound will carry a long ways and choppy setups won't gain you much.

Also, another thought, much like a buck grunt during the rut, a male coyote challenge, or dominant male call might work in the same fashion. More than likely though, using either call, it'll be a male responding.

Hopefully this helps,
Bob

Good info. Thanks!

Will try the "less is more". With the vocalizations I usually let it go for three maybe four howls. Then sit for 5 minutes. Also will make sure to give the spot a little more time after the last call.

As for moving and setting up again, I can do that when I have time. But mostly I've only been making one stand each hunt. Tomorrow I plan to have a friend go with me. I think two sets of eyes will be a plus. We'll be hunting some new property where the farmer claims the coyotes "are everywhere". I just want them to be within gun shot of me.

Keep the tips coming! Lord know I can use them.

Perri

Handgunr,
Some good info, it helps to hear what others that have been at this for awhile are doing. Thanks again I plan on trying again this weekend.
Wayne /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

freebm & Wayne,

Thanks for the faith, but even though I've spent a few years playing this game, if success is dictated by the numbers you've obtained, I'm still in the newbie catagory.

That being said, you can be successful at calling but due to the coyote's suspicious nature, not always get the opportunity to shoot one. Or, better yet, not even know they're there.
I guess the question could be asked, "well, if you are calling well, you should be able to call them within range".
This isn't true at all....you'd have to be psychic to know exactly what to use and when to use it.
Also, you'd have to be able to foretell the (physical) condition and mental state of the coyotes in that area. I'll never be that good.

To a small point, some of this can be done.
A good caller, that has done his homework and scouted the area, would have a better idea than one who hadn't, and basically "upped" his percentages by doing so.
Looking at particulars like, "what affect has the weather had on them", "what is their prominent food source", "has it been affected", "what are their habits during the hunting season (mating or not)".....???..etc, etc.
Noticing these things while out, and being able to assess them accurately will up your averages greatly.

Ironic that you mention it though....for instance...
Yesterday afternoon, around 3:30PM, I headed up to the new area my partner and I had been scouting and hunting. We were in there during late fall, and while there hunting chucks, we scouted for sign regarding fox & coyotes.
Alot of fox sign & little or no coyote.
Well anyway, as of just a week or so ago, we started spotting very large coyote tracks, but not seeing one.
Then we spot male & female coyote tracks together, and sign is increasing quite a bit.
The first time we hunted it, although we didn't get a decent shot, fox were out and screaming. Since we spotted the coyote sign, the fox have been almost non-existent. Even their tracks from night hunting.

Back to yesterday afternoon, I headed in late and got setup about 3:50PM (only 6 or 7 miles from my house). I picked an area kind of central as I was hunting alone, and so the sound would cover well. It was pretty quiet with a slight breeze coming out of the S/SW, and pretty warm for this time of year (about 35-40 degrees).
Starting off my calling with a newer rabbit distress call, I ran it for about 20 seconds, stopped and waited for a couple of minutes, then ran it again. I did it one more time, then quit for about 20 mins or so.
My reason for using it this way is this;
Fox usually will respond quickly. Probably within a few seconds to a minute or so. Coyotes, not so. They'll usually come in cautiously, and quietly, holding up at a distance and surveying things first. Then if they're convinced it's dinner, they'll continue on in, most of the time, slowly.
Calling this way seems to cover both...hammering on a call constantly doesn't seem to entice coyotes around here to come in, but the "call & break" method seems to turn on their interest, then lets it cool a little, then it fires them up again....kind of a tease thing. It seems that once they're fired up for the second or third time, they come in harder, hotter and closer.
I've watched them hold in a spot after calling once, and about the time they look as though they've lost interest, toot on the call again, and watch them rocket back towards the call. Almost like a renewed vigor.

Anyway, as time was getting very short, I decided to move about 100yds., down towards my buddy's favorite spot so I could see the whole field. I moved very quietly inside the woodline and made little or no noise. Getting setup in the second area, I started the same calling sequence. Not seeing or hearing any responses, I held off on the calling, and tried to keep my eyes peeled on the edges of the field where the snow remained after the warm weather. A small group of deer filtered out into the field about 300yds. across from me and they started to feed, but were very skittish. Their heads kept popping up and looking in the same direction. They finally spooked back into the woodline where they came out from....and quickly.
......1st indication that something is up.
I know our deer don't spook readily on fox....so, maybe something else.
After scanning the field with my scope and then not seeing anything, I then checked the wind direction and figured something was coming in from upwind of the deer. The deer had been directly upwind from my location, so whatever it was, it crossed that line upwind from them.
After another short calling series, I shut down and listened. Besides the tractor trailer slapping on his "jake brake" a mile back on the roadway, and the local dogs who bark off in the distance, I distinctly heard a very short, high pitched bark & howl, but couldn't tell where it came from, or for sure, whether it was in fact, a coyote.

Well within 10 seconds, maybe shorter, the whole coyote pack opened up about 400yds from me, and there was a bunch. As far as I could tell, at least 6. Guessing, I think I had called them in from the first location I was at, which was within 250yds. of the block of woods they were in.
The initial responding dog that opened up was definitely the dominant male, low bark and gruff howl.....very discernable.
Staying put in the original spot would've put me closer to them, but scoping from my position, they never showed in the field, or the edges anyway. If they had, both spots would've afforded a decent shot, just one longer than the other. I was prepared to shoot in either direction. "Hindsight is 20/20".....if I stayed put, yep, maybe a closer position for a shot, but if I hadn't moved, I'd have never seen the deer's reaction and cued in on it. As it stood, and where the coyote's called from, it was their scent that spooked the deer. After they called and gave away their location, it was a "no brainer".

I'll head back up tonight and position across from them about 200yds. in a heavy treeline where I can see into the woods where they're holding up. Maybe if they think they're safe inside the woodline, I can snake a shot through and nail one.

Who knows.....again, sorry so long.....

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif,
Bob

NYS Coyote Hunters; take a look at "Attn New York Hunters" in the Firearms and Reloading catagory of this forum.You're not going to like what the Democrats have been up to in the Assembly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Good read Handgunr,

I noticed that a few guys like to start with the distress calls first then switch over to the vocalizations as the distress may call in a fox!

On some of my trips in the woods I'm probably doing as much scouting as I am hunting. It's fun trying to read the sign. Apparently I'm not on the same chapter as the coyotes though.

Your observation of calling to get them fired up sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try this evening. I'll use the shorter call sequence a few times and then do the watch and weight.

Hope you pull them into range tonight.

Perri

freebm,

Nothing tonight.

Got out in a slight rain. From what I've read and heard over the last few years, they're relatively non-existent during rains, and for the most part, on windy days.

I started with the usual rabbit in distress for a few runs, waited awhile and than ran another few cycles. Then I switched over to a female coyote locator bark & howl. I got no response tonight at all. But, that's usually the way it goes for the majority of the hunts.
Normally on the nights that it's calm mainly, these are the nights that I get responses. Being cold helps.....say in the high teens to the mid 20's.

I just got permission (actually a request) from an old buddy to come over and eradicate his coyote population. I've known for years that he's had a problem with them as he used to tell me of them a lot when he ran our local bow shop. Nice guy really.
I just never considered his property because I thought he hunted it himself......not so he says....
Welllll alrighty then........!!!!!

His property borders Letchworth State Park, which makes sense on why he has a problem. The park is filthy with them, and they harbor there as they're protected. No hunting within the park borders except during given seasons (deer).

Butch (the property owner) is a very seasoned hunter (mainly bow) and he knows his game very well. He has told me that the coyotes he's seen, for the most part, are very large.

I'll keep you posted on the new spot.....

Good huntin'
Bob

Hey Bob, I took some FBI classes up your way (Genesee Comm College in Batavia) I remember Letchworth well....never hunted it though. Hiked around there but never hunted. I had a buddy who hunted deer there with a bow and he did say there was a TON of dogs there. I know the DEC even considered a special hunt to help with the yotes there...that was a few years back. Let us know how everything goes...

Back