NYS Coyote Hunters

You most likely know where Sidney is. Got some family in the area there. It's a drive from Syracuse but if I get off at Whitney Point and take 26 I think it is and go through Green - Bainbridge it looks like some nice country.

Plinker, when I owned my camp in Long Lake I'd take 28n thru Newcomb. Back in the day, I would fish Santanoni Preserve two or three times each spring for speckles and lakers. I hav'nt been there in years though. You're going to love this forum. There's a ton of knowledge and just plain old common sense and these guys don't mind sharing it. Good bunch of guys here. Good luck, stay with the yote's, you'll figure them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hayzer912,
Check out the Hector National Forest. It has pastures that are used in the warm months by farmers for grazing cattle but aren't used in the winter. Tons of woods and pasture areas. I know that one road is maintained during the winter, but most aren't, so secluded, undisturbed areas are there for the person willing to hke a bit.
Where near Odessa do you hunt.

danurve,

You can also come down Rt 20 to 12. I think your referring to Rt 206 from Whitney Point to Greene. Norwich is Straight North from Green on Rt 12.

DOD

DOD,have you ever hunted the National Forest? I camped there when I was back in my party days (College) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Real secluded and quiet. I guess I never thought of hunting there. I will definitely look into hunting there now. Its only a short drive for me to get there. You don't need any special permits or anything to hunt a National Forest do you?

No, no special permits. Yes I have hunted there, good area. Many hunt Deer there and camp there while hunting. This time of year, there will be just a few folks around, a few XC skiers, etc. I can't remember the main access road that s plowed but it goes from Reynoldville into Hector and goes straight through it to Seneca road I think it is. It would be a great area. My sister lives just outside of the forest and has tons of coyotes around her house. During deer season if we leave her house after dark, the field across the road from her house has several in it that can be seen with the car lights.

Guys,

Well, we're getting prepped for this weekend. Gonna hunt from before daylight, till past dusk on Sat., Sun., and Monday (MLK day).
Kind of a marathon weekend for us.
The weather is suppose to be crappy Friday night (rain), but it's suppose to convert over to snow sometime early in the morning (hopefully well before daylight).

I've got the truck gassed up, batteries charged and equipment all set. Based on sign alone, my buddy spotted a highly populated area north of Carlton Hill State Lands in the T/O Middlebury, so we'll be hitting that hard.

I've doctored up some coyote sound loops that I downloaded off the net, and they (to me at least ) sound very good. We'll see how they work.

The one I made last week did a bang up job on calling a fox in at a high rate of speed. She came back to the call at least four times and was going nuts trying to find, what she thought, was a meal.
She was running so frantically, we never did get a shot, but we were laughing so hard, it wouldn't of mattered anyway.

For any heading out this weekend.....good luck....report in............

Take care,
Bob

Handgunr,

I, too, had a plan of a ton of hunting for the weekend. The forecast is scaring me. Perhaps, we should not listen and just go for it!!

Just as I made plans for a sunday nite road trip venture, I find out my wife has made other plans... Good Grief /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hello there,
Was just wondering what kind of effect this kind of weather that we are getting on Sat. will have the hunting? I was planing on going out Sunday. Being new to coyote hunting I need all the help I can get.
Thanks
Wayne

bhw,

From the sounds of it, it'll be fine for early Sat. morning. It's suppose to turn to snow sometime overnight Friday, so if it does, I'll be smokin' that call before first light.

If it's raining, depending on how hard......possibly.

Regarding your wife........what's that saying,.....
"My wife told me that if I go hunting one more time she'd leave me", ......."I'm sure gonna miss her"....../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like mine.....I tell her to drive safe.....luv ya hon !.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hope you make it out anyhoo....
Bob

Wayne,

Sunday should be good. The change was supposedly happening overnight on Friday. The weather is suppose to return to warmer conditions late Sunday or early Monday.

Reportedly, the best times to hunt are before and after a storm, but it seems that during warmer weather most predators stay put, or concentrate on mating (fox now).

It seems when it's colder both fox & coyotes need to eat more to retain their body heat, which makes sense. During the snow storms when the wind is slight, I've seen a lot of them out then. Heavy snows don't seem to bother them at all, and they almost look as though they prefer it.

I know you see a lot of game activity prior to storms, but it seems that certain animals are drawn out inherently to feed at those times feeling (maybe based on barometric pressures ?) that the storm is enroute.
My curiosity is, do the predators follow suit based on habit, or genetic inherent drives, that their food source will be more widely available ?
Maybe they both sense the change and head out for the same reasons (to feed), but without the prey having the internal calling to do so, would the predator still be as active during those times....?????

I guess for whatever reason, it really doesn't matter as they are both out, usually, but are their seperate callings both for the same reasons ?

Get me ?

For whatever reason, I think Sunday is a safe bet.....I'll be out either way....

Good luck....
Bob

Handgunr,
Thanks for the info. I will be out sunday also. Went out the other night at dusk. Called for awhile with a disress call. Didn't see or hear anything got up to leave and walking out of the field don't I hear a fox start barking. I want to think he was coming in but who knows. As you can see I have alot to learn yet. But I'll get one of them this year.
Wayne

NYhunter, Thats all we can do is keep trying! If we are not in the woods were not gonna get a critter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Good luck this weekend guys.

More blankety blank RAIN!!

Woke up this AM hoping to get out for short hunt. Heard the downpour and gusting winds. Went outside and into the almost tropical temps. I guess I shouldn't complain, the heating bill has been down at least.

I said a prayer (it's going to change to snow by noon).......NOT! Even if it doesn't snow, at least the wind could stop.

I'm depressed, guess I'll go read a book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Perri

freebm,

Ditto here..........

And I was the one who wrote.......
"From the sounds of it, it'll be fine for early Sat. morning. It's suppose to turn to snow sometime overnight Friday, so if it does, I'll be smokin' that call before first light". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Damn meteorologists anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif.....why do we listen to those jamokes......it's like a game of "pin the tail on the donkey" with them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Well here I sit at 7:00AM, after getting up at 5:00, with the rain coming down nice & steady.
No wind though.........45 degrees.

Welp......we're set to go out sometime this afternoon as soon as the temps start falling and things turn to snow. I like the mornings best, but I'll take it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Good luck,
Bob

Wayne,

More than likely you called that fox in.

There's been times that I could actually see the fox mousing off a far distance, and gave him a shout on the rabbit distress. He definitely heard it and started in my direction "with a purpose", but he just trotted along coming in.
Apparently the mice killed his hunger somewhat, and although he wasn't starving, he still wouldn't pass up a free meal. The one you heard barking could be in the same situation, or possibly mated with another.

The times I've had them come "blasting in" were after storms where they've been denned for awhile, and sometimes very early on bright sunny days.

It seems that fox really like those high pitched shrill calls, much like a woodpecker, or a bluejay in distress. I pulled the reed section out of one of my mouse squeeker's the other day and honked on the end of it for awhile out behind my house. I was heading to an appointment, but I had a couple of minutes to play. There's probably 35 acres of brush, but you can see the plowed fields out past 300yds.

When I first started......nothing. But after 5 mins, when I was about ready to turn and jump in the truck to go, from two very seperate areas of the back field, two large male red's were blasting towards me across in the open . One was well ahead of the other, and if I wasn't running a little behind I'd have scrambled for the rifle.

I cut it off quick so they wouldn't get wise, but that little call covered a long ways. Next time I'm up to Gander Mtn., or the local gun dealer, I'll grab another one or two.
I've always known that high pitched stuff, frantically blown, really excites the hell outta them....these worked very well.

Give that same area another shot....this time he could be sittin' in your lap before you know it.

Take care,
Bob

Handgnr,

You called it right... just a couple of hour ahead of time though.

Heh, heh ... I see snow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still a little windy though. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll be heading out in about 30 minutes.

DOD,

I sent an email to your site.

Hope you guys have some luck tonight and tomorrow.

Good hunting.

Hey Bob (handgunr), how did you do this weekend? Any luck? I tell you what it was d@#n cold here with the wind a whippin! No luck for us....well, if you wanna count calling in a flock of crows, and a farm cat luck then I guess we knocked 'em! dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How'd everybody else do????

Hey everyone,
Went out on Sunday afternoon nothing at one stand, Moved and called for about 40 min on and off was just ready to move again and I see one coyote running around to the left of me about 125 yrds. out. Not able to get a shot at him, I think as you say I gave him an education or should I say he gave me one..... Anyway I must be doing something right, thats the first one that I have called in. I'am hooked now.
Wayne

Back