Can't seem to hit them!!!

jmeddy

Finally cooled down below 70* at night so I started hunting again.

I had got to the end of the tractor lane through the woods into this partially cut hayfield and scanned. There was a coyote less than 70yds hunting. I got the tripod opened and set, then just laid the gun on top and kneeled, but it had disappeared over a rise. I swiveled for a while with no sightings so got the gun into the arca and went to the scanner.

When it shows up I moved to the gun and proceed to blow it at about 125y!

This is another miss. About 3 min. into the set this one comes to rabbit. I shut the call off and it is looking (I have never seen a coyote raise up on its hind legs as a raccoon does before; but as you see, this one does).
Should soon get my wind so I shot at about 80y and blew it.

As Kirsch said before "videos can be humbling"!!

These 2 vids were from Friday and Saturday nights. I did manage to shoot one Thursday night but did not hit the record button. UGH.

WELL, I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING WITH THE .22 TODAY so maybe I will shoot better the next time.

Last edited:
Looks to me first was off target low right, second was high left off target.

SLOW STEADY trigger press. Wait for a broadside standing still shot if possible.

But hey... at least you're out there it's still too hot and humid here in FL.

At least you didn't strike out completely, going 1 for 3.

Hopefully they have short memories.

Yea missed WAY LOW RT and left high. I doo have a problem with trigger squeeze/ SLAM that needs a lot of work. Tehe

There seem to be several preferred ways to shoot from a tripod so take this with a grain of salt... If the terrain allows, I like to sit on a stool. I shoot right handed so I set my gun such that I can prop my right elbow on my right knee then take my left hand and pull the tripod back into my shoulder. With the tension fairly snug on the ball head, I am able to produce a very stable shooting setup. Might give it a try on your practice rounds and see how you like it.

Thanks turkeynut. Pretty much what l do except the pulling back into the shoulder. Will try that today.

I think my biggest problem is hitting the trigger. Off the bench and bags l can squeeze till l need to breathe but on meat, not so much. I am a bow hunter and shotgun hunter not using a rifle for anything but coyotes so need to practice “the squeeze “ more l think.

I second what turkeynut said, but add this take your time, don't rush your shot know exactly where your cross hair is when gun goes off. I know every time I miss, because I can't remember where the crosshair was when the gun went off. At one time I shot a lot of sporting clays, got in a habit of slapping the trigger. Habit carried over to coyote hunting had to break that habit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Well I have been known to slap the trigger a few time myself. I think I saw someone on here refer to it as "coyote panic". I don't have a good answer for that one but for me it does seem worse at the beginning of season or when I haven't hunted in a spell. It's just that self imposed pressure to take the shot before I lose the opportunity. Once I start hunting regularly, it dissipates for the most part.

I try to avoid standing if I can, I think it's the least steady way to shoot, unless you have a 10 pound+ tripod setup.

I much prefer to sit on the ground if the terrain allows it.

glxlbJy.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmeddy.......I got the tripod opened and set, then just laid the gun on top and kneeled, but it had disappeared over a rise. I swiveled for a while with no sightings so got the gun into the arca and went to the scanner.

WELL, I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING WITH THE .22 TODAY so maybe I will shoot better the next time.

Well that stinks...but some great excitement for sure.
It's "nice" when the humidity here in PA drops below 80% at night LOL....a couple nights temps dropped into the upper 40's/low 50s and I was loving it.

Question....why are you NOT carrying the gun mounted on the tripod when walking into spot?....you're adding 3 extra steps to a simple 1 step process of dropping tripod with gun mounted on tripod.

...my .22 chassis system is almost identical to my .223 and .243 coyote set ups(which are exactly the same)....all 3 Savages.

It's great practice when walking the fields woodchuck hunting with the 22 mounted on tripod.....scan with binos...see woodchuck....set tripod...get on gun...shoot woodchuck....OR...you're already set up on tripod scanning for chucks..see the chuck and shoot it.

All similar coyote "scenarios" minus the excitement of night hunting coyotes ...

...we also carry backpacks with "weight" in them to set on tripod base hook to center weight tripod for even more stability.

Last edited:
Limbhanger. I walk alot and the extra 3# on the gun gave me a really sore neck so now l carry it—-makes a real good walking stick going up and down steep areas.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyLimbhanger. I walk alot and the extra 3# on the gun gave me a really sore neck so now l carry it—-makes a real good walking stick going up and down steep areas.

...totally understand !!!

Mike I find if I lock my ball head down so there’s no movement just prior to the shot it really helps ! It’s hard to make sure you do it every time as things happen fast so many times.

Back