Baiting

https://vimeo.com/738140617

I've had one bouncing in and out all week but couldn't quite get it lined up. I also got a little video where she's sneaking in on a fawn before getting busted though I have not downloaded that video.

Anyhow, I caught her leaving the site the other night. I pulled the shot a little right and hit her in the middle. It was a head-on facing angle and I'm shooting downhill. She managed to get around the corner where the dog found her dead in the thick stuff. The old 37 wasn't required but a shotgun goes out on all follow-ups.

Last edited:
That is a 243 running 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings @ 3,600. I'm running a couple of Bog Pods with ball head upgrades. Shooting from a standing position to clear handrails.

The dog likes that line of work. He has a good nose and a good head. Everything disappears when it's in slough brush. Need a good dog.

Last edited:

Ditto on those 55 BK’s. Very good bullets. My 6mm Rem. is doing 3720. Have taken 4 coyotes with that particular bullet and all have hit the dirt instantly, and no exits.

Very nice work 06 and wildflights!! Excellent videos and great action for early in the game. On the boards!!
May I ask what you guys are throwing for bait in this heat? I've tried various things from beaver to dogfood, but get over run with coons so bad, I have to shut off the beepers.
Keep up the good work.

I'm working a beaver job so that's primarily what I have out. They don't last long in these temperatures before the flys wear them out. I've taken a skunk and a possum off the site this week. If raccoons show up, I take them as well. However most of the coons are taken around the barn going after the cat food.

Last edited:

Baitpile, I use a variety of meats. Lately have used store bought meat that has gone bad, table scraps like chicken, old hot dog weeners cut up into little tid bits etc. I also use deer scraps / trimmings that I get from a local meat market. I get enough in deer season to fill several gallon freezer bags. That alone normally last me until the following deer season.

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I'm doing. Just have to deal with the coons and possums I guess, as we cannot take them out of season. Nice to see some early action though!!

This big male had been showing up pretty regularly during the past week, but always around 3 to 5 A.M. Finally last night his hunger got the best of him and he came in earlier just after 10 P.M. Unfortunately I was shooting with the Pulsar Apex XQ50 and the mini DVR which had a hiccup and the DVR didn't seem to start recording until the rifle went off. I must have had a bad connection on the input cable.

As you see, all I got was the tail end of the shot. I was glad to pick this one up early in the season as I am surrounded by tall soybeans for the next two months and seeing anywhere except in my yard is impossible. Range on the shot was 100 yds. shooting a 50 gr. V-Max out of a 16" barrel AR suppressed at about 3,200 fps.

It’s good to get one down, given the soybean issue. Hopefully others will check out the DoubleUp Cafeteria. Sorry you didn’t get the full video, but it happens sometimes.

8BWaOLH.jpg

Smucked a small female coyote last night. Not really a bait site kill as she was working the chicken coop. 243 with 55 gr Sierra BK at 62 yards. Things were happening quick so the video is really short...best viewed if you change the settings to .75 speed as it slows down my hurky jerky freehand shooting to almost tolerable.

It's been a busy week around here. Shot a large female bobcat yesterday afternoon that was after the hens. Shotgun blast right over the top of the flock to bust her at 19 paces from the back door. She tipped the scale right at 30 lbs, 4 oz. Wish I had the Shotkam mounted on the 12 gauge.

Last edited:
Back