To Post, Or Not To Post, That Is The Question???

Nothing will bring this site back.

One reason is RedFrog.
One is Facebook.
One is too many good guys got banned.
One is, once someone gets "notoriety ", they just focus on themselves.

Originally Posted By: borkonNothing will bring this site back.

One reason is RedFrog.
One is Facebook.
One is too many good guys got banned.
One is, once someone gets "notoriety ", they just focus on themselves.

I respectfully disagree... Maybe not with the first 3, but IF everyone is out for themselves we might as well just quit.
Take the easy road if you like, or stick it out and help.

My experiences with those in the industry and working here at PM....
Once I no longer worked at PM and had nothing beneficial to offer as far as this place goes, those in the industry and that I considered friends, seemed to no longer have time for me. With the exception of 1. Gerald Stewart and I still keep in touch and meet for dinner whenever he and his wife come to town.
So, I would have to agree with the last one too...unfortunately.

It may not be everyone that gains some fame and fortune in the hunting community, but there is no denying that there are a goodly number of those folks that become too big for their britches, so to speak. It was common for certain guys who were "big" in the industry to only drop in here when they had a product to peddle. These dudes were never around to share stories, offer advice, joke and BS around with. But when they were gonna be on TV or were dropping a new DVD or whatever product they popped up out of nowhere and made an announcement and then disappeared until their next product drop. I can remember pizzing a couple of them off for calling them "talking heads" and "pimps" only here to push products and we had a lively discussion afterward. After which they were around for a few weeks and then disappeared and went right back to their old ways. Nowadays they don't bother to come around at all.

I'm in....

Havent been here very long and dont know past history but there are many here who have helped me in the process of becoming a semi-successful coyote hunter and that alone is worth a lot to me. A whole lot.

Originally Posted By: DAAThe first thing he'd do is ban me, lol!

- DAA

yeah, you about made his head explode.
smile.gif

Good video skinny. This is an interesting place to check out. Never been on Facebook or any of the other social media platforms and never will be but I hope this place stays around.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I would like to see PM stay around.

Keep us posted if there is something we can do, I would really like to do a podcast with an admin or two at the same time to give some of my followers an good place to go...
I'm still on standby with my guy who may possibly know a forum updater.

I'd be down for an evolution. It'll take massive change and restructuring, but after 20+ years here I think the place is worth it. I have made life-long friends from this place. I want to see it continue. I even volunteered to fill a director spot once, though (perhaps luckily?) that fell by the wayside. Regardless, I'm in for the change. I support and will assist as best I can with any effort to refresh, refurbish, rebuild, rebrand, restaff, whatever.

I've been in this discussion from near the beginning and have followed it all the way through. I've brought up the possibility of using stuff from this thread to better PM elsewhere, no discussion not even a comment. As this discussion has progressed some ideas look good. I think DR's comment of "massive change and restructuring" is spot on.

I too through this sight have made friends and acquaintances across the country. I'd hate to see it disappear.

So where do we go from here?

I think everyone agrees the direction is forward. I don’t think anyone knows the best right answer on how to go about getting there. I’d offer to help in any fashion I can, but I don’t know what I would have to offer, if anything, that would be beneficial. Here’s to more constructive discussions that eventually gets it there.

One thing I found interesting about the interview pertaining to PM even though it wasn't mentioned by name was the reference to moderators with low kill numbers moderating forums they know little about....or something to that effect and thinking it has anything to do with how this place has turned out.

I find this thinking to be WAY off.
First off, moderators are nothing more than glorified babysitters for grownass adults that can't seem to be civil with each other.
Secondly, anyone is going to have low numbers compared to someone who is a government adc guy, or someone retired or who has a lot more time than the average Joe with a job, wife, children, etc. Or in other words, a life that doesn't revolve around coyote hunting or livestock.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: AdamTI think everyone agrees the direction is forward. I don’t think anyone knows the best right answer on how to go about getting there. I’d offer to help in any fashion I can, but I don’t know what I would have to offer, if anything, that would be beneficial. Here’s to more constructive discussions that eventually gets it there.

I think the best possible way forward is to do what Frank did over on Snipershide, he's went through multiple changes from his old platform, to what there is now, with minimal to no content being lost.

I know some of the sponsors lost their color names or ability to be a sponsor for a time, but he made it right and got them lined out eventually.

IF that is possible, and enough money can be raised, then obviously that route is a no brainer. BUT that's gonna be a lot of money, I'd say 20K plus, and that $hit needs to be put in the right hands.

I have two guys that are kinda wizards in the online forum thing looking to see how or if this can be done within reason, I would highly suggest anyone else who knows guys website or forum based industry to do the same. The more options, the better. They can all be presented here, for everyone to see, and maybe there's a large vote or poll at the end to decide what the members want to see happen.

Another thing is fundraising, once again, anything will help, if we can get 100 members to donate 500.00 we are getting close... I'd gladly donate 500-1000 as long as it's a for sure deal.

Originally Posted By: skinney
Another thing is fundraising, once again, anything will help, if we can get 100 members to donate 500.00 we are getting close... I'd gladly donate 500-1000 as long as it's a for sure deal.

10/15/20 years ago, possibly.

but now, i highly doubt there is even 5/10 members left here that would consider donating that kind of money. or even close to it.

I would also like to see the site survive. I would probably be up for a donation as long as it was legit and the use was accounted for.

It may be early for this question but has current ownership/admin expressed any desire to relinquish their interest?

Pipe dream fellas.
This site became toxic years ago.
There is such a thing as "moderating a site to death".
It's happened to this one.

Sad to see what's happened here.

The thing to remember is that as it exists now it is a registered 501(c)3 or 4 non-profit with certain tax rules that apply in regards to board of directors and such. That needs be be kept in consideration going forward.

I’m not sure how that plays out, but that fact is legal matter that has certain rules.

I am not the most active member this site has seen. I won’t ever be. My opinion of forums has declined over the years. I’ve probably had 8 or 10 names, I’ve maybe posted 30 times. I’ve hunted for 40 years. I am not a great hunter, maybe average at best. That said, I think skinney has hatched a real idea that makes sense to me.

I’ve seen the skeptics post that those who succeed forget us. I’ve seen the posts that say this place can’t be good again. I’ve also seen the Facebook/social media worry. Most people on this forum, or who ever visit this forum do not care about social media, and the rest doesn’t much matter. God bless those who can turn a profit hunting, let’s not tear be the ones who tear them down. And, why do we want google (aka youtube) to host people like skinney or other successful hunters? Why not drive that traffic here? I think one of the O’Neill Ops/UNV has 14MM views. Why not click here? Hard for me to understand why folks think that things can’t be better.

I’m in as an investor. As long as the plan means that the site migrates and stays up to date, and controls what it hosts. As long as the plan is moderately sensible. I guess that makes 4 investors in a short time, so the idea that there is no interest (I think the number is 5-10) is nearly debunked. Just need a few more.

Back